Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Dec 2010 (Monday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to do people afford some of these lenses...

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 27, 2010 18:52 |  #166

Didn't read too much before but...

I have a seperate stash (under the bed, not literally but you know what i mean) of where i acquire some cash for whatever reason that i put JUST towards photography. I do security jobs on the side from my IT job and i take the extra cash and put it in a drawer and save it for photo stuff. Its not a priority (photography) but it is something i enjoy and will take time acquiring loose cash here and there. I just got the Sigma 30 and am looking for a 50D currently and it took me probably 8-10 months to acquire the funds from security gigs for the both of those.

(Note: I can't stand working with drunk people... after halloween night i told myself i was over the security thing but the cash i brought in had me rushing home at like 3a and checking POTN for a new Lens!) LOL!

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

sponsored links
CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 27, 2010 19:02 |  #167

MP4/8 wrote in post #11524481 (external link)
How many people does one have to off, for a 35L?

Don't know about that . But we could use some treetop pilots

Dr.Pete wrote in post #11524508 (external link)
Of all the hobbies I could spend my money on, my wife seems to approve of cycling/triathlon and photography. I'm not sure she'd feel the same way about, say, scotch or gambling.

If you was winning , she might go for the gambling .;)

Hi

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 27, 2010 19:02 |  #168

JeffreyG wrote in post #11521334 (external link)
I have a reasonably high paying job that is not related to photography.

You need to keep some perspective, especially if this is a hobby. Don't bankrupt yourself looking for that last nth degree of performance.

Also if you really are struggling with lust for expensive gear, simply stay out of the gear forums here at POTN. There are a million people here who will tell you that the 85L is loads better than the 85/1.8 because they need to justify buying the fancy one to themselves.

The reality is that the difference between decent and top end lenses is almost always overstated here in a gear-head forum. The real world differences will not likely make or break any of your photos.

Spot on! ....and sometimes I sell my current gear to use towards new gear, but only after a LOT of research, sleeping/thinking on it, and usually borrowing the item I am considering from CPS or from one of my more well equipped photographer buddies.

I recently talked myself out of a 100L f/2.8 IS macro after a week of borrowing it (and almost using it exclusively) by reasoning I could make due with my 70-200 2.8 IS or 135L + extension tubes (for my uses at least - food photography). In the end, even though I still kind of lust after the 100, its nice to have $850 to use towards CC bills.

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 27, 2010 20:47 |  #169

We don't bring our money when we died, so spend it while you are alive (that's what my mother said to make my dad buy me these equipment). I'm very lucky to have a mother who always support me, but soon I'm going to college so I think this year is hard, because my father have to pay $16000 X2 for me and my sister education.

That makes me don't want to get married or have any kids, kids are expensive (I realize it), I'd like to substitute my kids with my L's.:)

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

Dr.Pete
984 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 27, 2010 21:15 |  #170

KY707 wrote in post #11525131 (external link)
We don't bring our money when we died, so spend it while you are alive (that's what my mother said to make my dad buy me these equipment). I'm very lucky to have a mother who always support me, but soon I'm going to college so I think this year is hard, because my father have to pay $16000 X2 for me and my sister education.

That makes me don't want to get married or have any kids, kids are expensive (I realize it), I'd like to substitute my kids with my L's.:)

Keep the focus on the education and soon you can have kids AND L's. :)

Tools of the dark side | MacBook Pro/LR3/Photoshop CS5
“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin

heathalvarez
47 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 27, 2010 21:36 |  #171

I have no kids, I'm not married, I make a good living, and I don't have a mountain of debt. Others' results may vary. :p

5D Mk III / 7D * 10-22 f/3.5 * 24-70 f/2.8L II * 70-200 f/2.8L II * Tamron 16-300 F/3.5-6.3 * Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 * 85 f/1.2L II * 100 f/2.8L IS * 135 f/2L * 600EX II (x2)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 27, 2010 21:41 |  #172

TooManyShots wrote in post #11524295 (external link)
That's nothing. Try a wireless powertap hub laced with a zip 404 carbon tubular rim. That should set you back close to $3k for ONE BICYCLE WHEEL. :) Another $150 for a single tubular tire too.

It's insane how far bike technology has come but, 3K for one wheel? :)

JeffreyG wrote in post #11524298 (external link)
I took a lousy picture of it a few years ago. It's quite a basic bike, but spending huge bucks for a 17 pound bike makes little sense on a commuter that will be carrying 20 pounds of stuff too.

If your commuting to work, a performance bike doesn't make sense. :)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 27, 2010 21:56 |  #173
bannedPermanent ban

jdizzle wrote in post #11525452 (external link)
It's insane how far bike technology has come but, 3K for one wheel? :)

If your commuting to work, a performance bike doesn't make sense. :)

A $1700 hub system that can measure your power output in watts and the whole setup is wireless. You ride with it because you can train in power, instead of a heart rate monitor (old school). You want the lightest and fastest rim laced to the hub. A 58mm carbon fiber tubular rim would do the trick. $800. There is the labor cost and the spokes cost. Throw in another $300. The wheel should weight no more than 3 ponds. Then, you want top end tubular tire too. About $100 to $150.

One thing that I find costly with cycling is that the tire replacement. The rest of the gear is pretty durable provided that you don't crash. Bike tires are disposable like car tires. But for bikes, they don't last long and wear out fast. Your average good road tire is about $55 to $60 each. I can go through 2 to 3 pairs in one season.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Rekd
199 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 27, 2010 22:02 |  #174

chugger93 wrote in post #11521294 (external link)
How do you guys do it? Just save? Or do you not bother and buy the midrange stuff? I just find it hard to justify spending that much on a lens, but I'm tryin....:confused:

If you make money from it it's a no-brainer. Glass makes a huge difference. When I bought my 70-200 L it make the 7D come alive. I went from keeping less than 25% of my shots to keeping more than 75% of them.

But it's not just about sharpness. It's also about low-light performance. I shoot a lot of evening events and indoors where lighting can be a challenge, especially in motorsports. I tried real hard to make it work with some older glass but it was an epic fail.

I do stuff for print/online mags and got lucky on a good gig with About.com (New York Times Company) and I've earned enough from them alone to pay for my current rig many times over.

If you're serious about shooting and expect to make money from it you'll need to move to hi-end glass sooner rather than later.

What's in your (external link) sippy cup?
My stuff:
A low-light hi-def rapid shooter, a sniper, a couple old school 35s.

Some L, a nifty f/1.4, a kit IS, some slow EFs and two crappy Qs.

ShadowCaver
278 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 27, 2010 22:35 |  #175

Not a "L" quality bike, but it gets me from points A to Z, with some decent bokeh. This is original condition when first modded it... have since replaced the back pack with larger version [holds couple gallons of milk ;) or camera + couple lenses], thinner tires, clip-ons, and another water bottle. I don't race, just do tours - I'm slower rider, ave ~19 mph. Next will be some back saddle bags for extra storage. Looking forward to some warmer / drier weather!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

50D | 70-200 f4 L IS | 100 f2.8 L IS | Tokina 11-16 AT-X Pro | 17-55 | B&W 67mm CPL
 iMac |  MacBook

scottkinf
34 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 27, 2010 22:50 |  #176

For me, I decide what I want and save for it. This makes more sense, and is less expensive than buying lenses that I won't be happy with, and then finally getting the true one that I covet. Besides, I don't want to miss out on that great shot.

sek

chugger93 wrote in post #11521294 (external link)
I got into the whole photography/slr thing about a year ago, and now more than ever (obsession I think). I don't have much glass wise, but lately have been craving some new glass for my young one and other misc shots. I've been reading/researching like mad, and only come to realize that L glasses are amazing. I'm a believer that, you get what you pay for and I tend to by "cream of the crop" stuff.

I guess I can't picture myself buying an 35mm f/2 for example when I can have the amazing 35mm f/1.4 L. All these glasses are like 1000 +. How do you guys do it? Just save? Or do you not bother and buy the midrange stuff? I just find it hard to justify spending that much on a lens, but I'm tryin....:confused:

Scott K.

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 27, 2010 22:59 |  #177

I save for mine... sell some of my cheaper lens that I shouldn't have bought to begin with...

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

RL.
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 27, 2010 22:59 |  #178
bannedPermanent ban

most americans are on credit card debt...go figure

Canon > Nikon

scottkinf
34 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 27, 2010 23:05 |  #179

Way sweet!

Scott K.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 27, 2010 23:05 as a reply to  @ RL.'s post |  #180

I'm going to stick with the two lenses I have and rent L-glass for big important stuff like vacations.

The only L-glass I really want is the 100-400. That lens offers a huge range of possibilities, and when stopped down a little gets outstanding, sharp images. Perfect lens in good light.

In bad light? Well, if you are shooting still life and using a tripod it's no problem, but the lens normally isn't suited for low light.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links

33,912 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to do people afford some of these lenses...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.