Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 03 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Real Estate, Architectural, and Interior Design Photography DIscussion

ScottKCooper
Goldmember
1,500 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 13, 2010 10:45 |  #16

TGrundvig wrote in post #11444015 (external link)
That article is from March 2008.

sorry - I got them mixed up - he does have one current one, but doesn't mention the update. he prefers HDRExpress - and mentions HDRExpose for batch processing.

http://photographyforr​ealestate.net/ (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1276863

sponsored links
TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 13, 2010 14:20 |  #17

ScottKCooper wrote in post #11444140 (external link)
sorry - I got them mixed up - he does have one current one, but doesn't mention the update. he prefers HDRExpress - and mentions HDRExpose for batch processing.

http://photographyforr​ealestate.net/ (external link)

I bet you anything the author doesn't 'zero out' the images before processing them in Enfuse. The difference is quite noticeable, especially the window views. Also, the room after Enfuse is quite bright. I do not use EnfuseGUI, I use the LR/Enfuse plug-in. The plug-in is donation ware and allows you to control more. I tried the EnfuseGUI before I found out about the LR plug-in and found it to be quite disappointing.

There are a few programs out there that work with Enfuse, so far I like the LR plug-in best.

With that said, for what the author was trying to achieve (best natural results-quickly), the HDRexpress would be a catch 22 for me. For example, there is no batch process. That is a real pain if you have to load each and every set of bracketed images one by one. If I leave a home with 20 sets of bracketed images, I'm pretty much going to be tied up for a while loading them one at a time. On the other hand, LR-Enfuse plug-in allows me to batch process and work on something else while that is running. It automatically re-imports the back into LR and stacks them with the originals. Now, because I zero out the images prior to blending, I am required to do a little more work in PS to achieve the image I want. This is the catch 22 part. I can work on something else while it batch processes, but then I have to spend time in PS.

It would be interesting to see a side by side processes. Me using Enfuse and someone else using HDRexpress and see who gets more done in less time.

Thanks for sharing the link Scott! I may have to try the 30 day trial and do some side by side comparisons of several brackets that I found to be tough. I would definately have to go with the HDRexpose...batch processing is a big deal to me.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

ScottKCooper
Goldmember
1,500 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 13, 2010 21:20 |  #18

that makes sense. I'm sure we'd all love to hear a comparison, and a report on the steps you had to go through. Scott.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1276863

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2010 23:09 |  #19

plbb wrote in post #11433811 (external link)
Another major problem I encountered my first time out was window glare, worsened by HDR - at least that's what I assume I am seeing relecting onto the window trim and the curtains.

I wasn't able to make satisfactory corrections with the tools in PS nor did replacing the window(s) with layers work either (lighting too extreme & they didn't blend well with the rest of the room). The examples are crops.

1. Will using a polarizer be effective in preventing some of this, while not having a negative effect on the interior of the room?

2. Is there a way to fix this is PShop?

Thanks / Pat

I wanted to come back to this because I've been doing some playing around. I took images I was having a problem with in Photomatix when I used the Lightroom plug-in. I took the original RAWs into PM and got much better results. I took the original RAWs and converted them to TIFFs prior and did not get as good results and taking the RAWS directly into PM.

Not sure it you tried it that way but there is hope for this program now. LOL I'm so used to having my HDR work flow start in LR I never tried the newer version of PM with a direct import of RAW images.

Now I need to figure out why the LR plug-in is not converting the images and importing them into PM correctly.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

Lyssi
439 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 18, 2010 13:27 as a reply to  @ TGrundvig's post |  #20

I wanted to come back to this because I've been doing some playing around. I took images I was having a problem with in Photomatix when I used the Lightroom plug-in. I took the original RAWs into PM and got much better results. I took the original RAWs and converted them to TIFFs prior and did not get as good results and taking the RAWS directly into PM.

Not sure it you tried it that way but there is hope for this program now. LOL I'm so used to having my HDR work flow start in LR I never tried the newer version of PM with a direct import of RAW images.

I've been following and appreciating all the input... with Xmas fast approaching this thing called "life" has been getting in the way of spending more time with this. However, last night I managed to do some experimenting regarding the horrid glare issue with my pics and did find another solution of sorts, that others may want to try.

I don't know how to get more than two pics attached so have only included a cropped before and after of a window example (no post-correcting or enhancements)

Both are the RAW files processed in Photomatix, with the Detail Enhancer, but this worked with exporting the files directly from LR as well.

1. Before - note the "glare/ghosting in the windows" (there is no glare present in the original RAW files). I noticed this was worse using the RAW files than with exporting from LR, but it's all horrid.

2. After - No Glare / Ghosting - yay! It was corrected by using the "Selective Deghosting Tool" in the Settings menu of PM.

- If I zoom way in on the window, I can see the area on the wall where I made my selection and which was corrected - kind of looks like light noise but this is easily corrected and I doubt would be noticeable anyway.

Here's how to use the tool:
- select and export the bracketed images to PM; the "Settings for Exporting Processing Files" menu will appear
- select the option "Reduce ghosting artifacts" > Semi-Manual" (along with the other options you want) and click on "export" to continue.
- during PM's processing of the options you selected, it will stop to let you use the Deghosting Tool

* with the left button of your mouse held down, circle the area you want deghosted (in my case I drew around the window, including some of the wall and the top of the sofa and my cat's blue blanket which were also affected by ghosting)
* make sure you have a completely closed loop drawn, then right-click in the centre of that loop and select "Mark selection as ghosted area"
*select OK and PM will continue on to generate your HDR image

The tool is meant for ghosting caused by moving subjects but worked like a charm for my window. It improved, but did not fix the first pictures I posted above, but this has to be because my original bracketed images do contain glare in the windows and beyond. So it took care of it's own production of ghosting but will not fix glare in the original images, which makes sense. So I still do have that problem to solve and will try a c.polarizer next time.

The other method that did not produce any ghosting in the windows in PM, was to use Exposure Fusion instead of Tone Mapping in Photomatix. Most of the Exposure Fusion Presets produced excellent ghost/glare -free windows and frames.

No one has mentioned the Exposure Fusion capability of PM. I'm wondering if this is akin to Enfuse that is highly recommended. I plan to download Enfuse next and see what that is all about in comparison.

Thanks again for all the very interesting input since I last posted, I'm learning a bunch. In case I can only lurk until after Xmas - have a safe and happy holiday with your families!

Pat

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 18, 2010 21:28 |  #21

That is very interesting. As I have been playing with PM as a LR export, I have found it to drop the ball considerably on other images too. I did an export of several bracketed images and the HDR image had this awful black all around the windows. The only way for it not to show up was to use Exposure Fusion. I used the LR DNG files, and it produces this horrible black area. Then, I converted the DNG files to TIFF files and it sill produced it. But, when I dragged and dropped the RAW files directly from DPP....no problems at all.

Personally, I think there is an issue in the LR export to PM. Or, there is an issue in mine. All of my software is updated to the most recent versions and they are all running 64-bit versions of the software. It just seems that PM works better when you bring the original RAW images in. Oh yeah, I also converted a bracketed set into TIFF files in DPP and dragged them into PM....image came out fine, but it looked different than when I used the RAW images.

If I get some time, I'll try to post the examples of what I'm talking about for everyone to see. It's really frustrating.

Lyssi
439 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 19, 2010 06:25 as a reply to  @ TGrundvig's post |  #22

It would be interesting to see those black marks.

I had one instance where black marks mysteriously appeared under a window as well but don't remember now what the processing circumstances were. I put it down to an intermittent program bug and haven't seen it again - yet.

Gear List

Architective
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 28, 2010 00:01 as a reply to  @ Lyssi's post |  #23

replying to subscribe.

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2010 14:39 |  #24

plbb wrote in post #11478084 (external link)
It would be interesting to see those black marks.

I had one instance where black marks mysteriously appeared under a window as well but don't remember now what the processing circumstances were. I put it down to an intermittent program bug and haven't seen it again - yet.

Well, after some more trial and error, I have determined it is an issue between LR and PM. The black areas, which are predominant around the windows, do not show up when I drag and drop the RAW image from DPP into PM. I even tried to convert the images in LR to TIFF files and use those....say problem. I'm going to email PM and see if there is something I need to do about the plug-in. It would make my life a lot better to do it from LR. But, it is nice to know I don't have the issues when I import from DPP.

sponsored links

5,465 views & 0 likes for this thread
Real Estate, Architectural, and Interior Design Photography DIscussion
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.