Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens advice needed!

kiki109
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2010 16:20 |  #1

Hi,

I've had my camera for a few years but have only recently been in the position to start getting some new equipment so any advice would be much appreciated.

I have a Canon 400d with the 18-55mm kit lens (non IS) and I recently bought a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens as I like shooting macro.

However, I mostly shoot landscape, architecture and I have also started to become interested in night photography. I really want to upgrade my kit lens but I don't know what the best options are - so far I've looked at:

Canon EF-S 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (possibly a little too pricey for me at the moment)

What can people recommend as a good upgrade to the kit lens and also some good suggestions for lenses in generally for landscape, architecture and night photography (I have a tripod)

Thanks.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 28, 2010 16:24 |  #2

Honestly I would start by selling your current kit lens for $50 and buying the new (IS) kit lens for $100. Its a major step up and might forestall your need for the above lenses until you can settle on one. Dont forget the 17-55 2.8IS.

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 28, 2010 16:29 |  #3

I agree that the IS kit lens could be a good interim lens. It's quite a bit better than the old 18-55 but costs next to nothing because there are so many floating around.

You might want to look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, as it costs less than half what the equivalent Canon lens does. It doesn't give you any extra zoom but you get f/2.8 at all focal lengths.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

kiki109
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2011 19:56 as a reply to  @ dmnelson's post |  #4

I think replacing the current lens with the newer IS version of the 18-55mm could be a good option but perhaps it is just putting off the inevitable???

I can't seem to be able to pick between the above idea and the following:

Canon EF-S 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens

if anyone could offer anymore opinions that would be great. I don't really know much about the Tamron lenses either so if anyone has any comments they would also be helpful!

Thanks again!

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 05, 2011 21:41 |  #5

If you shoot landscape and macro most of the time, I highly recommend to get a nice tripod first if you don't have one. With a high end tripod, you can stop down your kit lens to f/8 or slower in order to get sharp images.

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 06, 2011 07:59 |  #6

Tripod + remote cable is the best for low light cityscape / landscape. Out of your choices - I'd look at the 15-85mm first. Consider the Canon 17-55mm 2.8, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, and Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 as well.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 06, 2011 10:39 |  #7

The 15-85 is a cracking lens, and apart from the extra focal length of 18-135 and 17-85 you probably won't be seeing a massive improvement in IQ, although more expensive the 15-85 is worth it. So perhaps an interim an IS kit lens until getting something decent if funds won't stretch.

15-85

IMAGE: http://****/c3whur/7Dtest/Img_0848-100.jpg

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

sponsored links

1,915 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens advice needed!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.