Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 20:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I felt like Ralphie on Christmas Morning...

neptunerain
134 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 28, 2010 20:49 |  #1

"I shot my eye out!" Well, not exactly... :cry:

My new lens came today. I ordered the Canon 50mm 1.4EF

And after using it... I felt dissppointed.

I thought the lens was going to be faster at in low lights. I can't see that it is any faster than my kit lens. The ISO has to be turned way up in AV mode. I was taking practice shots indoors with a flash, but that was also part of the purpose of investing in a new lens. The focus is slow.

Plus, the color is just boring. They are not as bright. And for the first time ever I could see noise on my lcd screen. Normally, it can't be detected in pictures until I upload them.

Am I being impatient? Is there a learning curve associated with using a prime lens?

My expectations were high. I love the ability to open the aperature soo wide, but I could have settled for the 1.8.

I just reviewed the pictures again. The pictures taken with the green box are decent, but I don't want to use the green box. I have been shooting in manuel settings for the last six months or longer, but I don't know everything.

oh, this let down...

Canon 50D. 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is, 50mm 1.4, 22-55mm 5.6, 430 EX II

sponsored links
SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,429 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 28, 2010 21:01 |  #2

Give it some time. Learn to know the lens and how it works with your shooting style before expecting great results from it. As with any tool, it'll produce better results after you're comfortable with using it.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Σ10-20|Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 28, 2010 21:03 |  #3

neptunerain wrote in post #11531651 (external link)
"I shot my eye out!" Well, not exactly... :cry:

My new lens came today. I ordered the Canon 50mm 1.4EF

And after using it... I felt dissppointed.

I thought the lens was going to be faster at in low lights.

F1.4 is F1.4. What do you mean you thought it was going to be faster?

I can't see that it is any faster than my kit lens.

If you mean the 18-55 kit lens, that lens is at f5.6 at 50mm. Do you know how many stops faster the f1.4 is from f5.6? I'll let you think about it.

The focus is slow.

It's faster than your kit lens.

Plus, the color is just boring. They are not as bright.

The color is boring because it's not as "bright"? I'm starting to wonder now if it's the lens at fault here. :rolleyes:

And for the first time ever I could see noise on my lcd screen. Normally, it can't be detected in pictures until I upload them.

"Noise" doesn't come from a lens.

Am I being impatient? Is there a learning curve associated with using a prime lens?

Now I think we're getting closer to the truth.

The pictures taken with the green box are decent, but I don't want to use the green box. I have been shooting in manuel settings for the last six months or longer, but I don't know everything

The "green box" usage seals the deal here. It's not the lens.

ABCDEFG

neptunerain
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 28, 2010 21:10 |  #4

BURN!

I'll be the first to say, I am learning. :lol:

I thought the wider aperature would allow for a faster shutter speed when shooting in dimmer areas, but lots of my pictures are blurry.

And the kit lens was 28mm to 135mm.

Canon 50D. 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is, 50mm 1.4, 22-55mm 5.6, 430 EX II

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 28, 2010 21:15 |  #5

neptunerain wrote in post #11531786 (external link)
BURN!

I'll be the first to say, I am learning. :lol:

I thought the wider aperature would allow for a faster shutter speed when shooting in dimmer areas, but lots of my pictures are blurry.

And the kit lens was 28mm to 135mm.

If this is your first prime, they take some practice. Shooting @ f/1.4 is going to require some careful shooting. I'd give it some time and practice before you make a decision.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

neptunerain
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 28, 2010 21:54 |  #6

realmike15 wrote in post #11531814 (external link)
If this is your first prime, they take some practice. Shooting @ f/1.4 is going to require some careful shooting. I'd give it some time and practice before you make a decision.

I guess I had unrealistic expectations. ;) At first I was questioning the integrity of the lens. I guess I need to just keep shooting. :lol:

cloudswimmer
186 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 28, 2010 22:13 |  #7

Have a listen to Brooks Jensen's (of Lenswork fame) podcast here http://www.lenswork.co​m …0-%20Critical%20Focus.mp​3 (external link)

www.pbase.com/cloudswi​mmer/gallery01 (external link)
GEAR LIST:5DmkII, T2i, G10, A640, 4x5, 8x10 Cameras, lenses, and film, Printers and Trays

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 28, 2010 22:16 |  #8

Hey Lightrules I got spanked by a mod the other day for a similar critique...lol but you are so right... to many don't know what they have or how to use it...

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

Ren ­ Tachino
74 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 28, 2010 22:24 as a reply to  @ focus.pocus's post |  #9

I really don't think Lightrules should be so harsh critiquing people for "beginner" questions :rolleyes: need I link to your infamous thread?

stover98074
421 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 28, 2010 22:45 |  #10

We saw the musical in Seattle a few weeks ago. It is a great film and okay play.

Enjoy the lens and I suspect that Ralphie got better with his Red Ryder with some practice.

You could always swap it for a Nikkor or Takumar 50 1.4 manual focus lens. These are a little less expensive but take a little longer to work with - in my opinion sort of like going from a bb gun to a .22 and worth the journey.

Canon XSI, Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows, 50 Fujinon EP, 80 El Nikkor, 105 El Nikkor, 135 Fujinon EP
https://sites.google.c​om …xpensivemacroph​otography/ (external link)

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 28, 2010 23:53 |  #11

Give the 50mm f/1.4 some time.If you haven't shot a prime before - it's going to be different. If you're shooting wide open - your DOF is extremely shallow so if you are not careful and move accidentally - you will move outside the plane of focus. This will inevitably result in blurry pictures. The 50mm 1.4 is a great lens - but technique has a lot to do with the quality of photos.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 29, 2010 00:17 |  #12

hieu1004 wrote in post #11532797 (external link)
Give the 50mm f/1.4 some time.If you haven't shot a prime before - it's going to be different. If you're shooting wide open - your DOF is extremely shallow so if you are not careful and move accidentally - you will move outside the plane of focus. This will inevitably result in blurry pictures. The 50mm 1.4 is a great lens - but technique has a lot to do with the quality of photos.

Yup, if you're shooting at f1.4 and your subject is 10ft away, your DOF is about .65ft. Thats .31ft in front of the subject and .33ft behind the subject. So focusing can be pretty tough especially if the subject is moving around, or you happen to move a bit.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

neptunerain
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 29, 2010 00:43 |  #13

Ren Tachino wrote in post #11532207 (external link)
I really don't think Lightrules should be so harsh critiquing people for "beginner" questions :rolleyes: need I link to your infamous thread?

I totally agree with you, but I'm a pediatric nurse, who doesn't hide in a corner after a little criticism over a lens. Deal with a few dying children and your life will take on a whole new perspective. ;)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 29, 2010 00:48 |  #14

The Canon 50mm f1.4 is one of my favorite lenses. I had to sell it last month due to financial need, but I am still kicking myself. Should have sold something else!

No better than a kit lens and boring color? I seriously think NOT:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i416.photobucke​t.com …241/tkbslc/kids​/50mm1.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i416.photobucke​t.com …/tkbslc/kids/IM​G_1015.jpg (external link)

My guess is you were shooting on a dark morning and expecting it to magically transform your basement into a wonderland of amazing light and color.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

neptunerain
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 29, 2010 00:51 |  #15

stover98074 wrote in post #11532352 (external link)
We saw the musical in Seattle a few weeks ago. It is a great film and okay play.

Enjoy the lens and I suspect that Ralphie got better with his Red Ryder with some practice.

You could always swap it for a Nikkor or Takumar 50 1.4 manual focus lens. These are a little less expensive but take a little longer to work with - in my opinion sort of like going from a bb gun to a .22 and worth the journey.

I know, but I totally thought I was going to save the family from invaders as soon as I opened the box!!! :lol:

sponsored links

5,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
I felt like Ralphie on Christmas Morning...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.