Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 19 Mar 2006 (Sunday) 21:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anybody living in Japan?

alainphoto
401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 05, 2010 18:27 |  #946

the stabilization is very usefull, but on this range it is not at all critical. I think you will benefit more of putting that money in another lens.

I would recommend to buy either tamron nonVC or sigma nonOS, key point being 2.8, take the cheapest of both that you can find - they are both good (in japan the tamron is very very cheap, see kakaku.com)

now you have a very good walk around lens !

then, put some money in another speicalised lens ... don't go for the big zoom, try something with a lot of DOF control, something you will have fun with !

good idea depending on what you like might be a 10-22, a 14 2.8 samyang, a 85 1.8/1.4, a 100 (IS) macro, a 50-135 2.8 tokina, a 135 2.0, a MP-E, a TS-E ... you already have a 50mm 1.8 so you can learn from that !

enjoy, those will give you a lot of fun !

alain

http://www.alaindavreu​x.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
camilom74
21 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 05, 2010 21:49 |  #947

DONE!!!
I went for the 60D and the Tamron 17-50 2.8 Non VC....
Can't wait to get my hands on these and have some fun!
Thanks for the advice on this Alain, maybe we'll have a chance to shoot together.
By the way, your images are really impacting and and unique - excellent.
Thanks. Camilo

Canon Rebel XT w/ kit lens
Tamron IF 18-200mm
Canon EF 50mm 1.8

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 13, 2010 00:13 |  #948

Well....Tokyo Furusato Festival returns to the Tokyo Dome on 8 January. You can see my photos at http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/ (external link) from last year. I'll go again this year - the food is amazing! If you Google on 'Tokyo Furusato Festival' it will link you to some Youtube videos to give you ther idea of the scope of this event. Yes, it is crowded! A big lens is recommended. I'll shoot this year with the 100-400L in the bag. Lighting is not too bad. There is paid seating to see the many shows, but basically you can shoot from most anywhere. I had fun last year, particularly sampling the many local dishes.
Cheers,
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

alainphoto
401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 13, 2010 07:32 |  #949

I remember an excellent apple juice from last year !

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 13, 2010 19:49 as a reply to  @ alainphoto's post |  #950

We will be headed to Kyoto the last two weeks of May 2011 so I can attend an IEEE meeting. What are the recommended places for photography in and around Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka?

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 13, 2010 20:09 |  #951

Greetings - As fot Kyoto and Nara, the places for photography are endless. I think that Kyoto has sixteen world Heritage sites, so that might be a good place to look. Nara is similarly fantastic and May weather should be really great. The Gold Pavillion, Nijo Castle, Heian Jingu, Sanjusangendo, Kiyomizu are among the well known places in Kyoto, but there are countless other places that are photo worthy. Since you have time, getting a Kyoto/Nara guide book is a good idea. As for Osaka, it is a large modern city and I am not so familiar with it in terms of what might be good to photography other than Osaka Castle.
cheers,
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 13, 2010 22:51 as a reply to  @ john-in-japan's post |  #952

Arigato John-san!

alainphoto
401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 14, 2010 07:14 |  #953

Yes Kyoto has a lot to offer, in less than a month you will not see half of it ;_

I recommend daily trip to Kibune and Ohara, and night stay at Koyasan. Osaka aquarium is great.

Enjoy !

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 29, 2010 14:50 |  #954

Another revival of this thread. I just made it to Tokyo last night and will be here till the 7th. Anyone interested in getting together for a few shots, and maybe a drink or 7?

Any new year plans going on?

-Andy-

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 08, 2011 06:41 |  #955

Arrrggghhhh! Just got to this thread and you are gone! Sorry I missed you this time.
Today I went to the BIG indoor omatsuri in the Tokyo Dome:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

JohnW

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 08, 2011 11:55 |  #956

Seems awesome! Must have a lot of out-of-town specialties to look at.

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2011 06:54 |  #957

alainphoto wrote in post #11449588 (external link)
Yes Kyoto has a lot to offer, in less than a month you will not see half of it ;_

I recommend daily trip to Kibune and Ohara, and night stay at Koyasan. Osaka aquarium is great.

Enjoy !

I sometimes wonder if I am the only one who thought the Osaka aquarium was only "meh" :oops:

But indeed...Kyoto is amazing with endless photo ops...but if you go, don't go with kids as it will dramtically decrease your photo taking time and ability :p Also be forewarned some places don't allow tripods!

Anyway, I'm up in Northern Japan (Iwate) and have been up here for....a little more than 7 years now..

on a side note, is there a program similar to the Canon CPS program here in Japan? I've looked all over and can't seem to find much about it

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 12, 2011 01:24 |  #958

Greetings All -
I have had little experience with portraits, but a very good friend, who had seen some of my other photos, asked me if I would shoot his 20 year old daughter in a kimono for 'Coming of Age' day in which those turning 20 years of age celebrate a rite of passage into adulthood. I nervously said yes. The set can be seen at: http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/ (external link) in the first gallery.
Although I had access to lighting as well as flash, ALL were taken in natural light. Most were taken with the 85L and a few with the 24-70L. She was a beautiful young lady and was so easy to photograph, that 80% were keepers and I had a hard time putting a limited portfolio together for her. Yodobashi (and BIC) have great and inexpensive albums and I mounted many of them for her to make her look great. Appreciate it if you take a look and comment. The 85L is such a spectacular portrait lens and I was stunned by its clarity and color. If you want to see an absolutely flawless Japanese beauty, look no further.
Many cheers,
John

JohnW

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 13, 2011 06:33 |  #959

May be this is a stupid question, but what are some of the ways people there celebrate "Hatachi" (20 years old) in Japan?

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 13, 2011 17:38 |  #960

Good Morning -
Currently, Adult's Day is celebrated on the second Monday in January and is a national holiday. Girls wear kimono usually, and boys wear the equivalent or a dark suit. Local government offices have ceremonies to honor young aduts with speeches by mayors and officials about the responsibilities of adulthood. Families often attend. Visits to shrines and temples occur to pray for safe passage into aduthood and many photos are usually taken. Dining out with family of friends is common on this day. Companies which have new adult employees recongnize them with a gift to commemorate the occasion usually the next day. Almost all have studio photos taken mostly prior to that day and since 95% of young Japanese cannot don a kimono by themselves, beauty shops are crowded with young ladies getting their hair done and having their kimono put on properly. Some kimono are rentals and some are heirlooms. Evening parties with friends or classmates are common. I think it is a pretty cool occasion where responsible behavior in society is stressed regarding alcohol and tobacco use and being a good role model for children.
Cheers,
John

JohnW

sponsored links

114,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anybody living in Japan?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.