Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best standard-zoom constant aperture lens?

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2010 14:19 |  #76

LightRules wrote in post #11536003 (external link)
Sounds about right, what he says. But he isn't really comparing it to the other lenses directly. Hard to say. Like I said, optically they're all good enough. But AF speed/noise is the real issue here. If you can accept it, I think the VC is a great lens.

I pretty much agree with exactly what you said, based on my research of all 3 lenses. But, I'm no pro.

sponsored links
Mystery
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 29, 2010 15:03 |  #77

LightRules wrote in post #11535941 (external link)
Yes that is normal for this lens.

Bob Atkins has a fairly good test here: http://www.bobatkins.c​om …5_Sigma_17-50_review.html (external link) . However, he doesn't make mention of the "cons" of the 17-55 (eg, dust, build-feel, fragile IS unit).

This has made up my mind for me. 4 Year warranty, lens hood, lens case, and it beats the Canon it most of the optic tests. Can't wait to throw this on the 7D.

Canon EOS T2i / 550D
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L (I)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6

ShadowCaver
278 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 29, 2010 15:11 |  #78

Buyers remorse I have, somewhat, after reading threads like these... :(

However, right or wrong, two items that guided me towards the Canon were (a) the Canon's USM + manual focus, and (b) Canon vs. Sigma quality,,, seems quite a few reports of Sigma issues with "bad" copies, whereas not so much with the Canon [granted Sigma's warranty is MUCH better than Canon's]. And since I am not a patient person when it comes to buying, I want it right when I buy it, no sending back, hoping for better copy, etc. The reports of Sigma having a 'rattle' also didn't bode well for my decision. But, the Sigma comes with a lens hood! ;)

EDIT: whilst typing this, see that Mystery posted the above... good luck, and best shooting! After you get it, please share your thoughts. :)

50D | 70-200 f4 L IS | 100 f2.8 L IS | Tokina 11-16 AT-X Pro | 17-55 | B&W 67mm CPL
 iMac |  MacBook

Mystery
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 29, 2010 15:22 |  #79

ShadowCaver wrote in post #11536402 (external link)

However, right or wrong, two items that guided me towards the Canon were (a) the Canon's USM + manual focus, and (b) Canon vs. Sigma quality,,, seems quite a few reports of Sigma issues with "bad" copies, whereas not so much with the Canon [granted Sigma's warranty is MUCH better than Canon's]. And since I am not a patient person when it comes to buying, I want it right when I buy it, no sending back, hoping for better copy, etc. The reports of Sigma having a 'rattle' also didn't bode well for my decision. But, the Sigma comes with a lens hood! ;)

EDIT: whilst typing this, see that Mystery posted the above... good luck, and best shooting! After you get it, please share your thoughts. :)

Really? I wouldn't think anyone would have buyer's remorse after owning what's probably one of Canon's best lenses ever. Any particular reason.

I'm also not a big fan of the rattling aspect of the Sigma lens, but it's something I'm sure I can live with. It seem to have better optics than the Canon judging from the above comparison, better macro, sharper, and the AF is faster and quieter than the Tamron VC so the Sigma seems the best option. Of course like the reviewer, If I had the money, I'd probably go for the Canon since it's the fastest.

Also Lightrules opinion on the Sigma lens also means a lot since he has such vast experience with the lenses!

Canon EOS T2i / 550D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 29, 2010 15:30 |  #80

ShadowCaver wrote in post #11536402 (external link)

Don't worry about it - the Canon is a great lens - you made a good decision. Stay away from these forums if you don't want buyers remorse - hanging out in the gear threads will only make you feel you have inadequate gear and make you go broke. :lol::lol:

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2010 15:53 |  #81

Good for you Mystery. Looking forward to seeing some reviews in the next few weeks.

Stamp
680 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 29, 2010 15:56 |  #82

I just picked my sigma up and shook it, you can hear the OS system moving around in there, but it's nowhere near what was on that youtube video. That guy's copy must have the whole thing disassembled in there.

1Ds Mark II, 5D Mark III, Canon AE1, Yashica Electro 35, Mamiya RB67, Yashica 124, some lenses with red rings on them, and some flashey things
- My Site (external link) -
- Like It On Facebook (external link) -

Mystery
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 29, 2010 16:02 |  #83

spacemonkey_ wrote in post #11536667 (external link)
Good for you Mystery. Looking forward to seeing some reviews in the next few weeks.

Will definitely post reviews and tests of both the camera & lens.

Please if anyone finds any info on a better alternative to the Sigma, do share in this thread.

Canon EOS T2i / 550D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2010 16:22 |  #84

Mystery wrote in post #11536707 (external link)
Please if anyone finds any info on a better alternative to the Sigma, do share in this thread.

We already did - it's called the Tamron 17-50 :p

Kidding. I'm eager to see some test photos once you get yours.

lucasmcd
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 29, 2010 16:29 as a reply to  @ ShadowCaver's post |  #85

No need for buyers remorse , the 17-55 is regarded as Canon"s best EFS lens and more than likely the best lens in that range overall, I searched all over the net reading all the reviews and decided it was the best lens for me and I have no regrets , love this lens :D

It all comes down to price , sharpness , colour , aperture , IQ , build , FL , etc etc only you can decided on what is more important to you and in what order.

Olympus OMD EM-5

12-50 , 25 F1.4 , 60 F2.8 Macro , 75 F1.8 , Tripod 3LT Brian , Lee Seven5 .

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2010 16:29 |  #86

I guess nobody mentioned the canon 15-85mm IS USM lens as an alternative. It's not fixed but still a very quality lens.

Mystery
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 29, 2010 16:31 |  #87

Fligi7 wrote in post #11536817 (external link)
We already did - it's called the Tamron 17-50 :p

Kidding. I'm eager to see some test photos once you get yours.

lol, before this thread I was kind of geared towards buying the Tamron, but the slower/noisier AF kind of put me off. IQ quality seems to be beautiful on it though.

Can anyone explain to me what exactly FTM (full-time manual focusing) is on these lenses? In the reviews I'm reading of the Sigma, the reviewers say it's a shame that the lens LACKS this feature.

Thanks.

Canon EOS T2i / 550D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2010 16:59 |  #88

FTM is the ability to focus manually without having to switch off the AF. For instance, say it's on AF and you go to focus on something and it doesn't get it quite right... with FTM you can simply refocus manually without switching off the AF. Without FTM, you have to (e.g. really should) switch this off before manually focusing.

Mystery
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 29, 2010 17:15 |  #89

Fligi7 wrote in post #11536991 (external link)
FTM is the ability to focus manually without having to switch off the AF. For instance, say it's on AF and you go to focus on something and it doesn't get it quite right... with FTM you can simply refocus manually without switching off the AF. Without FTM, you have to (e.g. really should) switch this off before manually focusing.

Ahh thanks. Not that big of a deal really, I mean when you're snapping away in AF you don't really stop to manual focus right?

Seems like it would be faster to just take another pic if the AF misses, rather than turn to manual focus.

I guess I'll find out how important/useful the lack of the feature is once I get the lens. For now, I have no clue, just seems like it's not that big of a deal.

Canon EOS T2i / 550D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 29, 2010 17:18 |  #90

Mystery wrote in post #11537068 (external link)
Ahh thanks. Not that big of a deal really, I mean when you're snapping away in AF you don't really stop to manual focus right?

Seems like it would be faster to just take another pic if the AF misses, rather than turn to manual focus.

I guess I'll find out how missed the ability to focus manually in AF mode is once I get the lens. For now, I have no clue, just seems like it's not that big a deal.

The only time I've used it , is when I'm birding .

Hi

sponsored links

20,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best standard-zoom constant aperture lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.