Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 02:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A month in, critique me!

kaptnkain
985 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 30, 2010 02:39 |  #1

Hey guys, so It's been a month since I receive the first camera I've ever owned - my 40D. I've toyed around with my parent's point and shoots when I was a kid, and I took a rudimentary film photography class in Highschool.

Here are a few of my shots, let me know what you think. I hope it's not all bad :rolleyes:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

1. All Along the Watchtowers (external link) by Kaptnkain (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2. Fall Sunrise (external link) by Kaptnkain (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. Red Caps (external link) by Kaptnkain (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

4. Lucky Red Jacket (external link) by Kaptnkain (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

5. Ravenholm Anyone? (external link) by Kaptnkain (external link), on Flickr

[
IMAGE NOT FOUND

6. Frozen (external link) by Kaptnkain (external link), on Flickr

- Ilya
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
kaptnkain
THREAD ­ STARTER
985 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 30, 2010 02:55 |  #2

The chronological order would be 6, 2, 1, 3, 4, 5 if anyone cares.

- Ilya
flickr (external link)

whitewall
245 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2010 03:07 |  #3

Nice work, I like it.

Canon 5d Mark ii - Canon 50D - - Canon 35mm f1.4l - - Canon 100mm f2.8l marco Canon 24-70mm f2.8l - Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 - Canon 17-40mm f4l - Canon 50mm f1.8 - Canon 580ex ii

reheat ­ module
385 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 30, 2010 06:12 as a reply to  @ whitewall's post |  #4

6,5,3 and 4 for me.
Love the frost and muted colours - I'm not a great fan of central positioning, but here it works well. Maybe the bottom RH corner is a little busy?
The B&W image is interesting; here, although again the bottom RH corner is very busy, it 'holds' the shot together (just shows that photography is hugely subjective). Excellent range of tones too. Safety first though - move those blades away from the power lines!
Dynamic is 3 is captivating - an almost regimented line up. Good use of DoF, with the eye drawn to the frontmost red cap.
Neat tones in the red jacket for my final choice - had the pool table not been seen, it may have added more intrigue.
A very good set, just my interpretation though!
40D - great choice, what a beast!
Paul

Tons of enthusiasm, loads of kit, limited skill...

CallumPhoto
661 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 30, 2010 08:30 |  #5

1,5,6 are pretty neat. I would personally boost the vibrance on 1 a little. 5 is a lovely black and white.

Callum Bright Photography; Website (external link) / Blog (external link) / Facebook (external link)

darrylhopkins
144 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 30, 2010 09:36 |  #6

No order from me, think they are all really good, fav is no6

d

There ain't gonna be enough time to capture all the beautiful thing in the world, but I'm getting them one by one...

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 30, 2010 10:42 |  #7

Those are simply wonderful. So good that I hate to make any suggestions at all, but...

If I were going to change anything, I would crop #4 ever so slightly tighter so in order to eliminate the seam on his right shoulder. Keep the 3:2 aspect ration and take off just a bit on the right and top. That's just a personal preference for me, but I think the details of the seam draw my eyes to that side of the image and away from his face.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

Dan ­ The ­ Dealman
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 30, 2010 11:21 |  #8

Very nice! It looks like you have the most inportant part down---an instinctive eye for what looks good. Kaptnkain, I'm curious as to any post work you have done on these? #2 looks like you could really bring out more in the sky and some added saturation for the trees and make this photo pop off the screen. Do you shoot RAW and process or shoot JPG? Did you do any photoshop work?

Also, I really like the concept of #6. The natural outline the frost makes separates the subjects from each other.

sinjans
659 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2010 11:32 |  #9

Great job on all of them. 1 month in and doing very well IMO

churico4
52 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 30, 2010 13:16 as a reply to  @ sinjans's post |  #10

great job, especially the number 3, it has very nice composition and contrast.. keep it up mate..

5D Mark II, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens, 50mm 1.8

kaptnkain
THREAD ­ STARTER
985 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 30, 2010 15:29 |  #11

Thanks guys! I was expecting more negative feedback :lol:

- Ilya
flickr (external link)

cameronrinut
132 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 30, 2010 17:27 |  #12

I love #5 wow! Then 3, 4, 1 , 6, 2

5D MKII-Gripped / T2i / 17-40f/4L / 28-300f/3.5-5L IS / 70-200f/4L / canon 2x II extender / Cheapo 600-1300 Telephoto+2x converter / carbon fiber kick A tripod / a partridge in a pear tree.
My Flickr (external link)

markweaver
458 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2010 17:40 as a reply to  @ cameronrinut's post |  #13

Those are nice images. But I especially like http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kaptnkain/52916​40509/ (external link) from your flickr page. You have a nice eye for composition.

Mark
XTi | 5D MkII | Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon | Zeiss Jena 35/2.8 Flektogon | 24-105 L | 70-200L f4 | 10-22 f3.5-5.6 | 50 f1.4 | Samyang 14mm | 24mm f/2.8 | Sigma 15mm Fishy
www.flickr.com/photos/​marksweaver/ (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 30, 2010 17:50 as a reply to  @ markweaver's post |  #14

They're all really pretty good, looks like you've got a good start with an eye for composition :)

In number one, I'd sort of like to see mountain tapering into the opposite corner rather than dropping out of the frame part way there, personally, but the colors are great there.

My favorite, by far, is the water pipes shot. It looks like a shot from amidst an army of robots :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

NY ­ Irish
608 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2010 17:53 |  #15

Nice work

7D
24 -105 f/4L
70 - 200 f/4L

sponsored links

2,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
A month in, critique me!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.