Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does Shooting White Normally Overexpose?

chugger93
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 30, 2010 10:06 |  #1

I've wondered this...because its happened on other shots of mine. If you shoot something with a flash (430 bounced off ceiling) for example and you have a white object in your framing, the shot gets waaay overexposed. The first pic & third you will see. I know I shot shallow, but the ISO is still at 100 and since his shirt is white, the pic got way overexposed.

What's going on here? Thanks

F/1.8 (I know its shallow), 1/200th, ISO-100

IMAGE: http://www.thecentralword.com/misc/t2i/IMG_0028.JPG

F/8, 1/160th, ISO-800

IMAGE: http://www.thecentralword.com/misc/t2i/IMG_0025.JPG

IMAGE: http://www.thecentralword.com/misc/t2i/IMG_0029.JPG

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

sponsored links
BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 30, 2010 10:12 |  #2

It depends on your metering. It won't overexpose if you've taken it (white objects/areas) into account. You don't have EC/FEC set to non-default do you?

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 30, 2010 10:30 |  #3

I didn't shoot with FEC enabled, or it was set to 0 if at all. I just shot in normal ETTL mode

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 30, 2010 10:31 as a reply to  @ chugger93's post |  #4

What was your WB set to?..

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 30, 2010 10:38 |  #5

You shot in manual, what was the camera meter reading? I'd bet at f/1.8 and 1/200 you had a good ambient exposure. Then you added flash which blew out the whites. You might try setting manual exposure 1 stop under ambient, then adjust flash via FEC if necessary.

Tim
Equipment

belgianbob
54 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 30, 2010 11:05 |  #6

I don't know if this applies to your camera body/flash combo but I have read that while evaluative metering works well for ettl flash outside, switching to plain old average metering when using flash indoors as your main light source can give you a better exposure.

Could be worth a try, or could be complete nonsense. I'm not sure.
I hope you find a fix soon.

5D, 24-105L F4 IS, lots of old EOS bodies, manual bodies and lenses, Bronicas, Metz CL45s, many bulldog clips and gaffer tape, all stuffed into my 20 year old Billingham!
And then there's the Elinchroms...

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 30, 2010 11:11 |  #7

Based on the camera settings used for those pictures, I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the camera was in Av mode and when the aperture was set to f/1.8, with an ISO of 800, there was just too much ambient light, resulting in overexposure. Had the flash not been turned on, the camera could have picked a faster shutter speed but with the flash on, the shutter speed maxed out at 1/200.

To correct fix this issue, either turn off the flash or use a lower ISO setting.

...Leo

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 30, 2010 11:16 |  #8

I was in manual mode as I always am. The pictures above with ISO 100 were the issues, not the one with ISO 800. When I looked at my reading the meter was way on the left side, and the only way it would goto the middle of the meter is if I adjusted my shutter to 1/4th or so. White balance was set to auto like I normally leave it.

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 30, 2010 11:17 |  #9

What did an f/1.8; 1/200; ISO 100 exposure WITHOUT flash look like?

Dave Hoffmann

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 30, 2010 11:19 |  #10

chugger93 wrote in post #11541457 (external link)
I was in manual mode as I always am. The pictures above with ISO 100 were the issues, not the one with ISO 800. When I looked at my reading the meter was way on the left side, and the only way it would goto the middle of the meter is if I adjusted my shutter to 1/4th or so. White balance was set to auto like I normally leave it.

Well, so much for my analysis.  :o

Man, I really need a double layer of reading glasses. I thought all the images were shot at ISO 800! :|

...Leo

aaron.dunlap
Goldmember
1,805 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 30, 2010 11:23 |  #11

Gatorboy wrote in post #11541461 (external link)
What did an f/1.8; 1/200; ISO 100 exposure WITHOUT flash look like?

This. The moment I put my flash on I set my ISO to 100, Aperture to whatever I want, and shutter to somewhere around 1/160. If I'm not getting enough ambient, bump the ISO to 200 or 400 and shutter speed down to a MAX of 1/100 (ok, guilty... i go slower than that sometimes just to save ISO... but only if my subjects aren't moving around a whole lot).

you could easily bump your ISO down to 200 or 400 by dragging the shutter a bit and you'd still get a good ambient exposure.

 Aaron

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 30, 2010 11:37 |  #12

chugger93 wrote in post #11541457 (external link)

If I may ask, why are you in manual if all you're doing is using the cameras meter and then spinning the dials? Normally you hear people say they understand what's in their scene better than the camera would. In this case....

With all due respect, the questions I've seen lately could be answered by using the other setting (P, Av, Tv) and understanding what the camera is doing setting-wise in different scenarios. As you start to understand what the camera is seeing you can go into M and adjust for a given scene to get the results you want.

-Fernando

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,503 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 30, 2010 11:42 |  #13

• First principle of reflected light meters: When the meter is reading the full scene, it ASSUMES that the scene brightness AVERAGES to 18% gray mid-tone.

• Second principle of reflected light meters: When using smaller metering zones (Partial or Spot) it ASSUMES the target area is 18% gray mid-tone.

• Third principle of reflected light meters: When the scene/target is brighter/darker than 18% gray, you must use EC (for ambient) or FEC (for flash) so that it is not fooled by subject brightness failure (which occurs when the scene/taget is not 18% mid-tone)
Principle of Canon Evaluative metering: The camera biases the reading to give greater priority to the focus zone(s) which are active, but it also factors in the brightness of adjacent zones, so Evaluative can and does get fooled!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MichSt
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 30, 2010 11:46 |  #14

chugger93 wrote in post #11540955 (external link)
I've wondered this...because its happened on other shots of mine. If you shoot something with a flash (430 bounced off ceiling) for example and you have a white object in your framing, the shot gets waaay overexposed. The first pic & third you will see. I know I shot shallow, but the ISO is still at 100 and since his shirt is white, the pic got way overexposed.

What's going on here? Thanks

F/8, 1/160th, ISO-800

I'm not sure what's going on with your photos, but I always thought lots of white in a scene means you'll wind up with an underexposed shot. I find I usually need +1 or so of FEC when there's a lot of white or light colors in a scene.

Mario.Q

Canon EOS R

klynam
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Dec 30, 2010 11:55 |  #15

Back to the old addage: Learn to shoot in manual...or REALLY get to understand your camera / flash metering (which is still a crap shoot most of the time - at least for me.)

Even when I'm shooting "casually", I shoot in manual, try a few shots to get the ambient exposure where I want it, then add flash w/ manual level adjustment for fill.

At that point I pretty much set-it-and-forget-it, and shoot in RAW so I can adjust for minor scene changes in post production...

Canon Cameras & Lenses | Masterworks Photography (external link) | God is Light
"Until you can do better, copy." Tony Gresham

sponsored links

8,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does Shooting White Normally Overexpose?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.