Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 11:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soon to be: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG APO HSM vs. Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II USM

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 29, 2010 11:51 |  #1

I am doing this for my blog and will post my finding soon enough (read first week of january or so) I was just seeing if anyone wanted me to add things to the review. before I start tomorrow.

Im not an authority on lens reviews neither do I use charts nor the terms that accompany the technical aspects of photography. I have however been photographing since before Canon released its first EF 70-200mm 2.8 L zoom in 1995. I had one for more than 10 years. When they released the first iteration of the 70-200 2.8 with IS in 2001 it did not seem like a step forward, it was a lens that in my opinion and many others not as sharp as the previous one, also heavier as it contained more glass. I had to look elsewhere for a good replacement, which I found in the Sigma.

I will be testing the lenses with a Canon Eos 1d Mark IV, Canons most advanced camera as of January 2011. Also the camera with which I will be working with the two lenses this year. I.e the test. Also the test will be done on my Benbo Tripod with a Manfrotto head. Not the Monopod that I use while working, all so that each lens will have the same angle. Any photos of the lenses and camera are done with my Eos 1Ds MkII and a modified for Nikon mount Zeiss .zf 50mm MP. The place of the test will be done at Valle Romano Golf and Resort. The processing will be done in the latest version of Apple Aperture.

I will be looking hardest at the overlapping FOL (FOV x1.3mm), such as 120mm (156) 150mm (195) and 200mm (260). Also independently ill be looking at 70mm (91mm) and 300mm (390).

Below you will find jpegs at 50% and a compression of 10.

I mainly do this test for myself so that I can choose lens for occasion,
* Af Accuracy on a non -mobile object
* Tracking on a slow moving object
* Metering (even though I shoot in raw Im interested how much flare can throw the cameras metering to the left or right.)
* Sun flare
* Minimum focus distance and maximum focus distance
* Center sharpness ( should not be a problem as the camera is 1.3 )

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
LightRules
Return of the Jedi
9,911 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 29, 2010 12:11 |  #2

The Canon MKII will win in everything except at 300mm f2.8 :lol:

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 30, 2010 03:31 |  #3

Its a good thing i posted here first, cos if there is no interest in a photo forum, just imagine the normal population.... :) scrapped the idea!

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 30, 2010 07:23 |  #4

zincozinco wrote in post #11539729 (external link)
Its a good thing i posted here first, cos if there is no interest in a photo forum, just imagine the normal population.... :) scrapped the idea!

Where did you get that idea from?
I bet many are interested, including myself. Not answering a thread doesn't mean we don't care about it at all. ;)
I am sure if you post your review, with pictures, MANY will join, comment and appreciate. Again, including myself.
It's just not very usual to enter a thread announcing something will be done... at least for myself...
but it if makes you feel your work will be appreciated, so here it goes:

I'm really interested in this comparison and thank you for spending your time and putting effort on doing it. I did a few lens reviews and know how hard, demanding and even sometimes boring it can be. So be sure to post it (or the link for it) here because I am sure many as myself will be waiting ;)

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 30, 2010 07:31 |  #5

Hehe ok since you ask so politely... Ill just pray for the rain gods to stop the havoc cos i wont do weathersealing

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 30, 2010 10:07 |  #6

I'd be more interested when the new Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 OS comes out in the spring :lol:

Hi

atc
74 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 30, 2010 14:57 |  #7

I am also interested in the 120-300mm (I don't plan on getting it soon, but down the road)
Plus, there isn't too many reviews on the 120-300 :(

Canon 7D, 5D | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Rokinon 8mm f/3.5
Pentax MZ-7 | 28mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/2 | 200mm f/4
Mamiya RB67 | 127mm f/3.8

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 30, 2010 15:15 |  #8

atc wrote in post #11542744 (external link)
I am also interested in the 120-300mm (I don't plan on getting it soon, but down the road)
Plus, there isn't too many reviews on the 120-300 :(

Here's a couple , I think LightRules also reviewed it.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=917953

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150405

and the lens archive

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=277729

Hi

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 30, 2010 17:02 |  #9

zincozinco wrote in post #11539729 (external link)

I figure the 70-200 would destroy the 130-300 up to 200mm, and the 120-300 would make the 70-200 non-existent > 200mm :) So yeah probably doesn't need to be done.

equation112
30 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 30, 2010 18:30 |  #10

hi guys... first post on the forum, but of course a long time lurker. this thread kinda demanded my attention, as I own both the original EF 70-200 2.8L (non-IS), the ancient EF 100-300 f5.6L (my first EF tele zoom, from when I bought my first EOS-1 film camera back in the early '90s) and the first gen Sigma 120-300 2.8EX (now about 3 years old itself).

I performed a bit of comparison testing a couple months ago to see how the 3 compared. I know that the original 70-200 is no match for the latest IS equipped version, but considering that it is still in production, it should still be more than competitive with the alternatives from sigma/tokina etc.

to make a long story short, you shouldn't count the sigma 120-300 EX out against any of the 70-200L lenses. in my testing, the EX defeated my non-IS 70-200 at all focal lengths and aperture combinations tested on my 7D (I went so far as to focus manually via the LCD on tripod for the tests), which has a nasty ability to find every flaw a given lens has to offer. the old 100-300L (which produced some truly amazing images back in the film days) was completely annihilated.

honestly, the 120-300 did so well against the 70-200L that if it were not for the sigma's significantly greater weight and bulk, I would prefer to give it permanent space in my camera bag, instead of only bringing it when I know I need the extra reach and am also toting a monopod. the 70-200 is much easier to handhold for long periods.

sponsored links

2,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Soon to be: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG APO HSM vs. Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II USM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.