Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mini slave with manual adjustable output?

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2010 09:27 |  #1

So I want to buy a cheap mini slave to throw in my bag for impromptu OCF. The problem is that I can't find what I'm looking for for less than $50. The mini slaves that I find are all fixed-output. From there, I get into the $30 to $50 cheapo hot-shoe flash units. Many of those have some outstanding features like zoom heads, auto-exposure , focus assist beams, tilt, and swivel. But again, none with manual adjustment of flash output. It's not until I get to the $100 mark that I can find a flash that has manual adjustment (ie 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, etc.) which is what I'm really after and those of course have all of the other features as well.

It seems to me that all of those other features are more expensive to produce than a simply slide switch that steps down the output of the flash and I'm sure that I'm not the only person ever wanting such a thing. I just need a simple, battery powered slave flash like the morris mini slaves but with the ability to reduce the output manually for less than $50.

Does anyone here know of such a thing?

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,339 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2010 10:44 |  #2

Don't the 285 or 283 have manual power adjustments? Buy them used for much less than $100.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

leeport
815 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 30, 2010 11:07 |  #3

Yes, I have an old vivitar 283 and it has manual mode. I have a flash zebra optical slave on it and it fires everytime for me. You can find these 283's and 285's on ebay for cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com …ashes&hash=item​53e55afa8c (external link)

klynam
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Dec 30, 2010 11:48 |  #4

Although I understand EXACTLY where you're coming from, I believe you will eventually find good use for the zoom/tilt/swivel features, at not much additional cost.

So another +1 here for used 283's / 383's w/ Zebra cables and inexpensive radio slaves. (In fact I just bought a set right here on POTN for this very purpose.)

Also, invest in (good) rechargeable AA batteries - you WILL be glad you did.

Canon Cameras & Lenses | Masterworks Photography (external link) | God is Light
"Until you can do better, copy." Tony Gresham

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,089 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 30, 2010 11:53 |  #5

http://cgi.ebay.com …ashes&hash=item​43a33a61da (external link) Might be on the edge of your price range, but its got full controls.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,339 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2010 13:42 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #11541697 (external link)
http://cgi.ebay.com …ashes&hash=item​43a33a61da (external link) Might be on the edge of your price range, but its got full controls.

Someone posted an amazon link for same flash for $60.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2010 14:45 |  #7

klynam wrote in post #11541664 (external link)
Although I understand EXACTLY where you're coming from, I believe you will eventually find good use for the zoom/tilt/swivel features, at not much additional cost.

So another +1 here for used 283's / 383's w/ Zebra cables and inexpensive radio slaves. (In fact I just bought a set right here on POTN for this very purpose.)

Also, invest in (good) rechargeable AA batteries - you WILL be glad you did.

That was my first thought, but then again, the thing will be on a light stand and adapter of course which already has tilt and swivel. What I really want is the slave built in rather than using an adapter or controller. The zoom would be partially convenient but wouldn't give me anything I couldn't do any other way. I was just curious if there was anything out there with this set of features. With all the other crap and many duplicated products you would think this combination would come up somewhere.

I do have plenty of good rechargeable batteries and a very nice Sunpak PZ42X with an E-TTL cable. I'm just looking for an inexpensive flexible option to have available if I need it and I don't want to spend extra money for features that I don't need for that purpose.

I'll have to check out these used Vivitars mentioned here, but the "flash speedlight" link is to a flash that doesn't appear to have slave capability. I'm thinking I need to design my own product if no one else is going to do it!

klynam
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Dec 30, 2010 17:35 |  #8

kfreels wrote in post #11542683 (external link)
What I really want is the slave built in rather than using an adapter or controller...I'm thinking I need to design my own product if no one else is going to do it!

Maybe I don't understand...don't most of these flashes have small built in slave/sensors to trigger the flash? If not, I certainly agree that would be helpful.

Personally, I'd like low-profile flashes (like the old Metz MZ-40) that put the source nearer to the center of the umbrella rather than sticking up 4-5 inches. I don't know, maybe that doesn't really matter much...

Canon Cameras & Lenses | Masterworks Photography (external link) | God is Light
"Until you can do better, copy." Tony Gresham

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2010 17:46 |  #9

klynam wrote in post #11543560 (external link)
Maybe I don't understand...don't most of these flashes have small built in slave/sensors to trigger the flash? If not, I certainly agree that would be helpful.

Personally, I'd like low-profile flashes (like the old Metz MZ-40) that put the source nearer to the center of the umbrella rather than sticking up 4-5 inches. I don't know, maybe that doesn't really matter much...

No. It looks like I have three choices - Flash with manual adjustment and no slave, flash with slave and no manual adjustment, or spend a bunch of money. My PZ42X doesn't have a slave function. Canon speedlights do but only work with a mouch more expensive master. I can use radio wireless transceivers and increase the number of pieces I need to deal with as well. But these less expensive models around the $100 mark and less don't have slaves until you get to the small units that don't have manual control. Those go down to $20. It really seems to be a gaping hole in the product market.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,089 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 30, 2010 19:11 |  #10

kfreels wrote in post #11542683 (external link)
That was my first thought, but then again, the thing will be on a light stand and adapter of course which already has tilt and swivel. What I really want is the slave built in rather than using an adapter or controller. The zoom would be partially convenient but wouldn't give me anything I couldn't do any other way. I was just curious if there was anything out there with this set of features. With all the other crap and many duplicated products you would think this combination would come up somewhere.

I do have plenty of good rechargeable batteries and a very nice Sunpak PZ42X with an E-TTL cable. I'm just looking for an inexpensive flexible option to have available if I need it and I don't want to spend extra money for features that I don't need for that purpose.

I'll have to check out these used Vivitars mentioned here, but the "flash speedlight" link is to a flash that doesn't appear to have slave capability. I'm thinking I need to design my own product if no one else is going to do it!

If you are referring the link I posted it clearly says it has two slave modes. one for regular slave mode and one that accomdates the canon preflash

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2010 23:50 |  #11

gonzogolf wrote in post #11544014 (external link)
If you are referring the link I posted it clearly says it has two slave modes. one for regular slave mode and one that accomdates the canon preflash

Actually I was referring to some other flashes in general. The flash that you linked to is about twice what I was expecting to pay for the usage, but since no one seems to make what I want I think I'll go ahead and plan to spend a bit more and get something more versatile. The flash you linked to looks very nice and seems to be an ideal unit for a secondary light and for backup in case my primary fails. Do you have any experience with this brand? I've never heard of them.

photopat
569 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 31, 2010 08:19 |  #12

You missed the best sale ever earlier this year:
http://www.hcfx.com …a-ttl-digital-zoom-flash/ (external link)

I bought 6 of them and they are great....

toys list

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 31, 2010 09:30 |  #13

Here's the link to my post in Market Watch on the YN560's for ~$60 at Amazon. There seems to be some concern over the reseller, but I've already ordered myself a few days ago, so if you can wait it out a few days it might be cost effective for you.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=978517

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,089 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2011 14:51 |  #14

kfreels wrote in post #11545355 (external link)
Actually I was referring to some other flashes in general. The flash that you linked to is about twice what I was expecting to pay for the usage, but since no one seems to make what I want I think I'll go ahead and plan to spend a bit more and get something more versatile. The flash you linked to looks very nice and seems to be an ideal unit for a secondary light and for backup in case my primary fails. Do you have any experience with this brand? I've never heard of them.

Just do a search here for YN flashes and you will find some reviews. They were developed to fill a niche created by the strobist movement. As for them not fitting your budget, you have some pretty high expectations for your price point.

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 01, 2011 16:43 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #11553533 (external link)
Just do a search here for YN flashes and you will find some reviews. They were developed to fill a niche created by the strobist movement. As for them not fitting your budget, you have some pretty high expectations for your price point.

I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. We'll see how it goes. The price is excellent for the capabilities advertised. If i needed all of the features on it I would pay twice as much. The only features I really need though are an optical slave and a manual adjustment and I really didn't think that $50 would be too much to ask for such a device.

Doesn't matter though. If this flash works, that will be a much better value. :-)

sponsored links

3,148 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mini slave with manual adjustable output?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.