Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Volunteering through photography

kkabardeyy
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 31, 2010 08:05 |  #121

It is a good idea, but I really did want to teach them a bit about cameras and functions, getting better results, white balance etc.

çerkez (external link)

sponsored links
squires
40 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 30, 2010 18:43 |  #122

Good thread. I hadn't thought about this until recently. I was reading Scott Kelby's blog, and on Wednesday he has a guest blogger. A few weeks ago he had a photographer who wasn't a professional write up the blog. In the blog, she made the following comment:

"So if you’re not a professional photographer, my question is, what do you do with your photography? How do you make it part of your life?"

The rest of the blog she shared examples of how she did this, including volunteering. That got me thinking. I'm not a professional, but would like to do more with my photography. I'm definitely going to look into some of these volunteering opportunities.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 30, 2010 18:46 |  #123

I am the meals on wheel local photographer. They were ecstatic to have me on board.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 30, 2010 18:52 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #124

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I helped out with Help-portrait (http://help-portrait.com/ (external link)) this year. It was a really great time.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 30, 2010 18:56 |  #125

It's really hard to organize the Help Portrait event. I organized Allentown last year. This year it all fell apart BIG time. I just could not handle all the stress of organizing again.

I think HP lost some steam this year but I could be wrong.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Scarlettjax
47 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 30, 2010 19:48 |  #126

Getting ready to do a volunteer shoot next week for a middle school. I'll be shooting "overage" students, those who really should have moved on to high school but academically haven't been able to do so. The goal will be attract mentors from local businesses/public sector employees to volunteer to mentor these kids.

All of these kids are from very tough backgrounds. I'm going to try to shoot photos that illustrate their hopes and dreams, beyond their current situation, and will be writing the background narrative as well, with editing from the school administration. I'm hoping to have the chance to interview each of them prior to the shoot, so I can add in props or such to create a compelling image.

Any ideas on this any of you could share?

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 30, 2010 20:22 |  #127

scorpio_e wrote in post #11543945 (external link)
It's really hard to organize the Help Portrait event. I organized Allentown last year. This year it all fell apart BIG time. I just could not handle all the stress of organizing again.

I think HP lost some steam this year but I could be wrong.

That's too bad...there is definitely a lot of stuff going on and not much time to do it in. Our event went pretty smoothly, but it was done through a homeless mission for women and children, so it was pretty structured.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

sutivnn
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 03, 2011 21:04 |  #128

I'm so glad to see this as a sticky thread. This is something near and dear to me. I love opportunities to give back.

I shoot a lot of youth sports, and my absolute hands-down favorite part of shooting the league is the Challengers division. This is a group of kids with special needs of all types, organized by some very good people with giant hearts. These kids, who are often left out of sports, are smiling from ear to ear. It's an amazing this to be part of.

I also do some work with Church/Christian based groups, and have been expanding this effort as well.

This summer, I'll be joining a group going to Cambodia to serve and document photographically.

Kudos for all of you who are giving back in some way, or even supporting those that are. It's all about those in need...not us. Never let your right hand know what your left hand is doing.

nội thất fami (external link) nội thất 190 (external link), noi that fami (external link)noi that 190 (external link)

Keduf
222 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 30, 2011 01:43 as a reply to  @ sutivnn's post |  #129

^^^sutivnn...why have you copied somebody else's post??? (#58 on p3)

Kerry
My flickr (external link)
5DMKII I 50D I 350D I Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 I Canon 24-105 f/4L IS I Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 I Canon 50 f/1.8 I Canon 70-200 f/4L I Canon 50 f/1.4 I Canon 100 f/2.8 macro I Olympus OM-D E-M10II I Olympus 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R I Olympus 17 f/2.8 I Olympus 9 f/8.0

rockeman
78 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 01, 2011 13:29 as a reply to  @ kkabardeyy's post |  #130

I have done a couple of weddings where the couple could not afford to have photos any other way. I have also taken photos for a program called "Farm Safety 4 Just Kids (external link)". This is a program for students in grades 4-6 to educate them about the dangers around the farm. I have taken some really neat shots there of excited kids AND of exploding grain dust!

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 04, 2011 12:47 as a reply to  @ rockeman's post |  #131

The last few years I've been doing work for a number of NGOs here in Laos.. One in particular is COPE http://www.copelaos.or​g/ (external link) who manufacture prosthetics and rehabilitates victims of UXO explosions and limb deformities..

I am also working on a project for an NGO that repatriates women who have been victims of human trafficing..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,756 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 31, 2011 23:06 |  #132

Manitoba Marathon

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 23, 2011 12:41 |  #133

I just fired off an e-mail to the local VA hospital because of this thread offering to photograph veterans on premises for treatment. They have a large hospital where they have a large on campus population.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 23, 2011 16:54 |  #134

Don't know if you'd approve..but I'm taking snap (portrait/family/kid) shots of my coworkers for $25...1 hour of shooting and a CD...we're not getting paid much and in this point (FLA) and (hard) time, and just making my coworkers feel better about themselves feels like I'm "volunteering" myself...

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 25, 2011 12:30 |  #135

kitacanon wrote in post #12646665 (external link)
Don't know if you'd approve..but I'm taking snap (portrait/family/kid) shots of my coworkers for $25...1 hour of shooting and a CD...we're not getting paid much and in this point (FLA) and (hard) time, and just making my coworkers feel better about themselves feels like I'm "volunteering" myself...

Not really volunteering yourself. It's for profit, therefore, not volunteering.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

sponsored links

142,175 views & 3 likes for this thread
Volunteering through photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.