Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Oct 2010 (Wednesday) 23:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II...I'm not impressed!!!

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 04, 2010 12:15 |  #211

iunlock wrote in post #11223931 (external link)
In fact I am seeing very little difference between my 20D images and my 5D2 images.

Is it that your 20D images were already really good, and you don't see much improvement with the 5D2? Or your 20D images were not good, and you don't see any improvement with the 5D2?

If you weren't able to get "good" pictures with the 20D, you really can't expect "good" (or better) pictures with the 5D2.

sponsored links
iunlock
105 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 04, 2010 14:24 as a reply to  @ post 11224183 |  #212

So, when you say "sharpness" are you referring to how detail looks zoomed in closely or how the overall image looks when viewed "normally"?

I am positive that it is user error.
By sharpness I mean that when I zoom in on my pictures they are not sharp. With my 20D I kept saying that it was because of the shortness of megapixels, however I am seeing that with my 5D2 my images are still not very sharp when I zoom in on them.
What has me so confused is that before I bought the 5D2, I played with a Nikon D700 in a store. The guy behind the counter let me put my card in and keep the pictures that I took. These were incredibly sharp when I examined them closely. The best pictures that I have ever taken, and I only played with it for a few minutes. However, since I already owned a couple of Canon L series lenses, I stuck with Canon and bought the 5D2 expecting the same sharpness.
I am looking at all of you guys images on this site and look forward to the day that mine will look the same. However, if you are getting these results with the 5D2, I see no need to make any type of switch to Nikon. I'll just keep watching, reading and learning until I get it right.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 04, 2010 14:26 |  #213

are you sure your lenses are fine?

EDIT: Can you post some pictures to show the problem?

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

iunlock
105 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 04, 2010 14:50 |  #214

[QUOTE=alpha_1976;1122​4993]are you sure your lenses are fine?

I have no idea how to post images on a site like this, I haven't learned that yet.
As for my lenses. I have the older models 28-70 f2.8 & 80-200 f2.8, A guy at the camera store said that these lenses were made for film cameras and would not allow the new 5D2 maximize all of it's potential. I am in no position to know if this guy was trying to sell me a new lens or not.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 04, 2010 14:54 |  #215

Lenses are fine - I have 80-200mm L. Check some pics here (no additional sharpening)

http://www.flickr.com …6/sets/72157625​185954785/ (external link)

feel free to pixel peep.

Gear List

iunlock
105 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 04, 2010 15:05 as a reply to  @ alpha_1976's post |  #216

Great shots Alpha, were all of those shot with the 5D2 and the 80-200?

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 04, 2010 17:01 |  #217

I think most of them are with 1D Mark IIn. I haven't used it much with 5D II but whenever I did I had no problems even when pixel peeping.

You can upload your pictures say at Flickr and post the links here.

Gear List

XFaega
168 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 04, 2010 17:33 as a reply to  @ alpha_1976's post |  #218

I'm surprised on how many were not impressed. My first shot I know I made the right choice when I upgraded from my 40D. Maybe some of you need to start learning the basics again and get away for the auto stuff. Then you will see the magic of the 5D MK II. I'm still learning and the funny thing is that I'm learning better on the 5D MK II than compared to my 40D. Also the IQ of the 5D MK II blows my mind. Owell each is their own.

Canon EOS 5D MK II

XFaega
168 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 04, 2010 17:41 |  #219

iunlock wrote in post #11224975 (external link)
So, when you say "sharpness" are you referring to how detail looks zoomed in closely or how the overall image looks when viewed "normally"?

I am positive that it is user error.
By sharpness I mean that when I zoom in on my pictures they are not sharp. With my 20D I kept saying that it was because of the shortness of megapixels, however I am seeing that with my 5D2 my images are still not very sharp when I zoom in on them.
What has me so confused is that before I bought the 5D2, I played with a Nikon D700 in a store. The guy behind the counter let me put my card in and keep the pictures that I took. These were incredibly sharp when I examined them closely. The best pictures that I have ever taken, and I only played with it for a few minutes. However, since I already owned a couple of Canon L series lenses, I stuck with Canon and bought the 5D2 expecting the same sharpness.
I am looking at all of you guys images on this site and look forward to the day that mine will look the same. However, if you are getting these results with the 5D2, I see no need to make any type of switch to Nikon. I'll just keep watching, reading and learning until I get it right.

Be patient because allot of the shots your seeing are people who have taken the time to learn the basics and have practiced everyday shooting. So they have acquired a keen sense how to used their 5D MK II at its fullest. Also like you said get some good lens to help out. Good luck to you.

Canon EOS 5D MK II

amwolf2
69 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 31, 2010 15:55 |  #220

tonylong wrote in post #11093753 (external link)
vinnie, why did you say that the IQ was bad as well as the fact that you were having focus problems? Did you really have IQ problems, or were you just frustrated at your focus problems? Enquiring minds want to know!

In the above photo, it looks to me like the woman's left shoulder was pretty sharp/in focus, but then the focus was not-so-mch in other places, but it's really hard to tell in a compressed Web shot. Look carefully at your pictures -- is there any place that is in focus but things grow soft from there? Remember that the effect of wider apertures are "magnified" by the use of full frame sensors. Could that be part of the problem here? I'm just tossing out thoughts trying to be helpful.

what is IQ? can someone please explain. thanks!

vinnie6756
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 31, 2010 16:01 |  #221

IQ = Image Quality.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 31, 2010 16:03 as a reply to  @ amwolf2's post |  #222
bannedPermanently

You need to learn how too work that Canon. They are two different machines.

Studio, outside, inside...no matter what situation I put that camera in it performs like a charm, breathe a little bit!

jaycky
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 31, 2010 17:14 |  #223

stickshift wrote in post #11093381 (external link)
I was just thinking about getting a 5D mark II (to add to my 7D) from the Canon Loyalty Program, and then this thread popped up! Subscribed :D

5Dm2 is a great camera i have both and I will say wish i had 2 of these if i could trade the 7D for another 5dm2 i would do it

5DM2 /grip Lots Of L's
measurbating f-stops
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52633882@N07/ (external link)
http://about.me/jbmpho​tos (external link)
http://photobyfish.tum​blr.com/archive (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 31, 2010 17:49 |  #224

I would also do it in a heartbeat. When the 5DIII comes out, I will review my options.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jrscls
Goldmember
3,056 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 02, 2011 06:05 |  #225

Have both the 5D II and 7D and the only time I prefer the 7D is for fast moving sports, otherwise the 5D II wins every time.

Nikon Z6, 20mm f/1.8 S, 35mm f/1.8 S, 50mm f/1.8 S, 85mm f/1.8 S, 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR, Flashpoint Flashes

sponsored links

30,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II...I'm not impressed!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.