Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 07:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I imagining a 7D focus problem?

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 01, 2011 08:56 |  #16

might be me, but that sample is so small that it looks like everything is more or less in/out of focus. also at 35mm and f/9 and an estimated distance of 3m gives you a DOF of 3m (3m=10'), which again would lead to almost everything being in focus in that sample. someone please correct me if i'm wrong, by all means i'm no expert on this ;)

1/13th at 35mm with IS should be ok, unless you have really shaky hands.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 01, 2011 09:00 |  #17

kendon wrote in post #11551816 (external link)
might be me, but that sample is so small that it looks like everything is more or less in/out of focus. also at 35mm and f/9 and an estimated distance of 3m gives you a DOF of 3m (3m=10'), which again would lead to almost everything being in focus in that sample. someone please correct me if i'm wrong, by all means i'm no expert on this ;)

1/13th at 35mm with IS should be ok, unless you have really shaky hands.

Just when I had convinced myself that it was me that caused the problem, your note could suggest that it is the camera. Is that what you are hinting at?

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

jaa
106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2011 09:01 |  #18

Plumtreelad, everything you said and have doubts about is exactly what I thought with my 7D. I even started a thread about it here -- https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=954464

Thankfully I talked myself into taking it into a Canon service center back before the warranty expired because as it turns out, it wasn't my imagination!!

I'm seriously in love with this camera ever since I got it back. Can't believe I put up with almost 11 months!

Be honest with yourself. If you think you've got solid understanding of the different AF modes and and when to use each one, your shutter speeds are nice and fast and you're giving the AF points something nice and contrasty to lock on and it doesn't appear that there is any other explanation for the camera missing focus, then don't keep thinking it's user error. Get it looked at. If you think that maybe you just need a bit more practise, then ultimately, that's the best thing.

Good luck!

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 35mm ƒ/1.4L II | Canon 24-70mm ƒ/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II | Canon 100mm ƒ/2.8L Macro IS | Canon 600EX-RT | Canon 430EX III-RT

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 01, 2011 09:04 |  #19

jaa wrote in post #11551832 (external link)
Plumtreelad, everything you said and have doubts about is exactly what I thought with my 7D. I even started a thread about it here -- https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=954464

Thankfully I talked myself into taking it into a Canon service center back before the warranty expired because as it turns out, it wasn't my imagination!!

I'm seriously in love with this camera ever since I got it back. Can't believe I put up with almost 11 months!

Be honest with yourself. If you think you've got solid understanding of the different AF modes and and when to use each one, your shutter speeds are nice and fast and you're giving the AF points something nice and contrasty to lock on and it doesn't appear that there is any other explanation for the camera missing focus, then don't keep thinking it's user error. Get it looked at. If you think that maybe you just need a bit more practise, then ultimately, that's the best thing.

Good luck!

Problem is that I have had the camera for 14 months! Kept putting it off and now regret it

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 01, 2011 09:08 as a reply to  @ jaa's post |  #20

At 35mm on a crop you need to be at 1/60th (1/FL*1.6) minimum to avoid camera shake without IS. I'm not sure how many stops the IS on the 24-105 is good for but 1/13th may still be a little slow, especially if your hands were a little shaky on that one. I'm not saying that it's definitely your fault but trying using higher SS and/or mounting the camera on a tripod (turn off the IS on a tripod) and see what type of results you get. I would also test out Single Point or Point Expansion so you know exactly what is being focused on as well. If you try this out with several of your lenses and the problem persists then you will be closer to your answer.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 01, 2011 09:12 |  #21

mind if I throw in a couple pennies?
perhaps set up some shots where your shutter speed is higher, at least 1/125
on a tripod, if you like, but not necessary if you are pretty stable when shooting
then we might be able to make a better judgment
that is if you are game =)

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 01, 2011 09:13 |  #22

Again, not to insult, but I'm curious - why ISO800 and ƒ9 and 1/13sec. It does seem a strange combo and I'm interested to know the why and wherefore.

~ Wallace
Gear List

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 01, 2011 09:21 |  #23

Plumtreelad wrote in post #11551829 (external link)
Just when I had convinced myself that it was me that caused the problem, your note could suggest that it is the camera. Is that what you are hinting at?

not at all. why did you use the settings you used for that shot, is the question i want to imply.
and maybe you could post a better sample, where we can see better what is in and out of focus.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

Evil_Edge
314 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 01, 2011 09:22 |  #24

xhack wrote in post #11551879 (external link)
Again, not to insult, but I'm curious - why ISO800 and ƒ9 and 1/13sec. It does seem a strange combo and I'm interested to know the why and wherefore.

I was thinking the same, those are some low light settings IMO. A little off for mid day (according to the time in your EXIF)

Gear List

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 01, 2011 09:42 |  #25

I have a 7D and i have found I generally *never* shoot below 1/50 second. Many times I try to get 1/125 or faster if light allows. My suggestion is to go in a good bright area and select aperture value of f/4. Use center point AF and position it over the intended subject you wish to focus on... for a person on their eye... don't worry about composition. Finally, make sure the shutter speed is 1/250 or faster. If the shutter speed is below that, increase your ISO until using f/4 results in a fast enough shutter speed.

post your pic with exif

Jason

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 01, 2011 10:11 as a reply to  @ jase1125's post |  #26

Thank you everyone. Just been out again taking some more shots. Will post in a few minutes

flickr (external link)

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 01, 2011 10:26 |  #27

i don't have a 7D, but had a similar problem with my T1i (due to heavy condensation problem after being out in 90+ degree heat on July afternoon, and came into air conditioned house w/o putting it in a ziplock bag first). Even though the camera beeped with its center point focus locked, even if it looked sharp in the view finder, it was out of focus on the final capture; and sometimes it beeped for focus and looked UNfocused even in the view finder.

I had the convenience of having a friend who lived nearby with another canon camera (T2i); I purposely took almost a full 1/2 day testing all my lenses on friends camera: (tripod/ISO 200/Manual Exposure/ Av: f/8.0/ Tv: 60/ PicStyle:Faithful/ 2pics each lens: 1 Autofoucs, 1 Manual Focus / Subject: took picture of same 8x10 printed photo card / exposure comp was necessary in many cases by +/- 1/3).

In the end I was certain it was not the lenses. It was my camera. I discovered it was worse in shallow contrast situations than with high contrasting situations. Still in warranty I sent it to Canon. they serviced it for free. Sadly It's still not perfect. 1/10 shots still obviously out of focus, another 1/10 marginally out of focus (soft). So, my camera is only at 80% in my opinion. As i'm upgrading in June, I haven't thought much of it.

You're aware that by sending just the lens for calibration (and not both the camera and lens) there's really no way for them to match them together? If your point in calibrating was to make it work its best, it's best to send both the lens and the camera and the calibration will be spot on for that combo.

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 01, 2011 10:39 |  #28

yourdoinitwrong wrote in post #11551863 (external link)
At 35mm on a crop you need to be at 1/60th (1/FL*1.6) minimum to avoid camera shake without IS. I'm not sure how many stops the IS on the 24-105 is good for but 1/13th may still be a little slow, especially if your hands were a little shaky on that one. I'm not saying that it's definitely your fault but trying using higher SS and/or mounting the camera on a tripod (turn off the IS on a tripod) and see what type of results you get. I would also test out Single Point or Point Expansion so you know exactly what is being focused on as well. If you try this out with several of your lenses and the problem persists then you will be closer to your answer.

Here ia another couple of shots I have just taken. Any better?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

Acute ­ Exposure
940 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 01, 2011 10:47 |  #29

If you open them in DPP and hit Command J (On a Mac) it will show you where your shot was focused. Take a look there and screen capture it as it will halo us help you.

Website (Updated Recently) (external link)
Flickr (Constantly Updated) (external link)
Canon 1Ds3 - 7D - 24-105mm F4 L IS - 70-200mm F2.8 L IS II (Always attached) - 50mm 1.8 (Never gets used) - 1.4x MKii - 580EX II - 430EX II - Lots of other gadgets

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 01, 2011 10:50 |  #30

Acute Exposure wrote in post #11552301 (external link)
If you open them in DPP and hit Command J (On a Mac) it will show you where your shot was focused. Take a look there and screen capture it as it will halo us help you.

Did the first bit but How do I "screen capture it?"

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I imagining a 7D focus problem?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.