Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 14 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 15:08
Search threadPrev/next

Best places to buy bikinis/lingerie

zack_mcc
39 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 14, 2010 15:08 |  #1

Just curious what places you all have found with good deals on wardrobe items. I like to keep a few things on hand just in case the items the model brings dont really fit my taste.

I normally let the models keep the items since I wouldn't want to shoot multiple models in the same outfit anyway, so I like to get good deals whenever possible.

On rare occasion, I've found closeout deals on "quality" bikinis, but all too often I try to sort through the cheap stuff on ebay and end up being less-than-thrilled about the quality of the item.

So I guess thats the topic.... where have you found stuff of decent quality thats reasonably cheap? Pointless to pay $50+ for a bikini to use once... so I guess $20-25 is the range I consider to be a "good deal".

Nikon D810 | Fujifilm X100T | Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2010 17:32 |  #2

eBay.....

MARK

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 15, 2010 07:24 |  #3

zack_mcc wrote in post #11452244 (external link)
...but all too often I try to sort through the cheap stuff on ebay and end up being less-than-thrilled about the quality of the item.

No one reads anymore...?

The 'Best' Place is asking your female friends, i know i know what your thinking, this sounds strange asking my female friends for clothing!

You would be very surprised (Actualy no you wont) how many items of UNUSED clothes your female friends have!

All still with tags on, never worn etc...

Mostly last years they brought for that summer etc...

Oh...Hello :)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 15, 2010 08:05 |  #4

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Fit/size/color coordination are essential for lingerie and bikinis. I would spend your $$$ instead on decor, set items, lighting, and better talent with good wardrobe to improve your photography. Cheap clothing that fits badly will not get you far.

-Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

zack_mcc
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 15, 2010 08:07 |  #5

Cosha wrote in post #11455773 (external link)
No one reads anymore...?

The 'Best' Place is asking your female friends, i know i know what your thinking, this sounds strange asking my female friends for clothing!

You would be very surprised (Actualy no you wont) how many items of UNUSED clothes your female friends have!

All still with tags on, never worn etc...

Mostly last years they brought for that summer etc...

I appreciate the reply. I'll have to try that... I hadn't thought of asking female friends.

I'll share one place that I was able to find good deals. http://www.sale-bikini.com/ (external link)
I ordered about 6 suits from them earlier this year, and was very pleased with the quality. Unfortunately, it seems like they had a limited stock and have not added any more items... so the good deals I found there this summer are now out of stock/no longer on there.

Nikon D810 | Fujifilm X100T | Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G

zack_mcc
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 15, 2010 08:09 |  #6

sspellman wrote in post #11455896 (external link)
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. Fit/size/color coordination are essential for lingerie and bikinis. I would spend your $$$ instead on decor, set items, lighting, and better talent with good wardrobe to improve your photography. Cheap clothing that fits badly will not get you far.

-Scott

I totally agree with what you are saying, but sometimes there are exceptions to the rules. I ordered items from ebay and wasn't happy with them so I trashed them. Sometimes you stuble upon great suits at cheap prices (like the link above).

Im not looking for cheap suits, Im looking for nice suits at cheap prices/closeout, etc.

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2010 10:54 as a reply to  @ zack_mcc's post |  #7

I've already been down the road the OP is referring to.....
And yes, I did "completely" read his post as Cosha assumed that I didn't. I've been a Commercial Catalog Photographer for over 20 years and just like the OP, wanted to start my own collection of outfits. And after asking female friends or I should say female model friends where do they get their outfits from that they model in..... Most of their responses?

Simple..... eBay!

So if the OP is coming across cheap outfits, then I would suggest to purchase a better grade of outfits or pay close attention to what you are wanting to buy. You can find Lingerie, Swimsuits, all sorts of quality garments (NEW and slightly USED) for "pennies on the dollar". I started 10 years ago, collecting shoes and outfits (all via eBay). I have Victoria Secrets, Bebe, Donna Karen, etc (ALL Name Brand)..... from women who purchase outfits and NEVER wear them or worn once or twice, or feel like it's last years fashions, and they sell these outfits starting at 99 cents. I've NEVER (and I repeat NEVER) paid more than $25.oo for any outfit I've wanted (most ranging from $10.oo-$15.oo). I've purchased Name Brand outfits with $100.oo tags still on them for $20.oo. In fact, I just recently purchased a Brand New $69.oo Victoria Secrets Terry Cloth Bath Robe (for my Nude Models to wear on set) for $17.oo (and some change - Shipping Included).....

KEEP SEARCHING..... the deals are there, you just have to find them!

MARK

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 16, 2010 00:53 |  #8

The Loft Studios wrote in post #11456712 (external link)
I've already been down the road the OP is referring to.....
And yes, I did "completely" read his post as Cosha assumed that I didn't. I've been a Commercial Catalog Photographer for over 20 years and just like the OP, wanted to start my own collection of outfits. And after asking female friends or I should say female model friends where do they get their outfits from that they model in..... Most of their responses?

Simple..... eBay!

So if the OP is coming across cheap outfits, then I would suggest to purchase a better grade of outfits or pay close attention to what you are wanting to buy. You can find Lingerie, Swimsuits, all sorts of quality garments (NEW and slightly USED) for "pennies on the dollar". I started 10 years ago, collecting shoes and outfits (all via eBay). I have Victoria Secrets, Bebe, Donna Karen, etc (ALL Name Brand)..... from women who purchase outfits and NEVER wear them or worn once or twice, or feel like it's last years fashions, and they sell these outfits starting at 99 cents. I've NEVER (and I repeat NEVER) paid more than $25.oo for any outfit I've wanted (most ranging from $10.oo-$15.oo). I've purchased Name Brand outfits with $100.oo tags still on them for $20.oo. In fact, I just recently purchased a Brand New $69.oo Victoria Secrets Terry Cloth Bath Robe (for my Nude Models to wear on set) for $17.oo (and some change - Shipping Included).....

KEEP SEARCHING..... the deals are there, you just have to find them!

See the above post was MUCH more helpful than your first 'Ebay....' post :D and common, admit it you actualy enjoyed typing all that too!

Oh...Hello :)

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 21, 2010 03:01 |  #9

If you are going to let the models keep it, why not pay them a bit extra to get their own (new ones) - most models have a set they bring anyway? Perhaps they'd be able to pick ones that suit their body best?

CameraLogy.Com (external link) MMayhem (external link) Twitter (external link) GEARG+ (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)!!

zack_mcc
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 21, 2010 11:19 |  #10

josh5k wrote in post #11489487 (external link)
If you are going to let the models keep it, why not pay them a bit extra to get their own (new ones) - most models have a set they bring anyway? Perhaps they'd be able to pick ones that suit their body best?

I haven't had the best luck with asking models to bring particular items. Often times there interpretation of what I had in mind is considerably different. Perhaps im not being descriptive enough, but if I supply the items myself then there is no chance for a miscommunication.

chrisvl
Goldmember
1,618 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 26, 2010 13:39 |  #11

ebay is great but you have to pick your items carefully. Flea Markets are great also
Been stocking up all year.
Every time I shoot the wife though she goes I like this and keeps it but oh well.

www.snaz75.com (external link) - check the clearance section

ChrisVLinton.com (external link)
DFYNEfitnessmag.com (external link) - Fitness, Health, Glamour, Lifestyle for Women 40+
Become a Fan on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link) and Instagram (external link) and Blog (external link) at Tumblr (external link)
My Gearlist

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Dec 28, 2010 12:14 |  #12

I use Bikini Beach to get swimwear for my models:

http://www.bikini-beach.com/ (external link)

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

RStorts
52 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 30, 2010 21:47 |  #13

thanks for sharing . all r great ideas.

andyffer
68 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 02, 2011 22:25 |  #14

http://www.the-bikini.com/ (external link)

Nikon D80 | 18-105 | 70-300
Canon 7D | 18-135 | 50 1.4
iMac 27" | Macbook Pro 15" | Macbook 13" | CS5 | LR2

FastFred
237 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2011 11:35 |  #15

Here's what I've learned from my wife, who's an excellent shopper and bargain hunter... We shop at places like Ross, Marshals, TJmax, etc. If you look around, you can find pretty good deals there on what they consider to be close-outs or last years fashions. They put stuff on clearance as the seasons change. Right now, in January, all of their Spring stuff is arriving, and the Winter clothes are on clearance and priced very reasonably. If you shoot in a climate controlled studio as I do, it doesn't matter much as far as shooting bikinis in January or Winter outfits in the Spring.

Just FYI, I'm not affiliated with them, just sharing my knowledge.

Feel free to C&C my images if you think that you can help me improve my photo work.
My Website: http://kisbyphotograph​y.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

9,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best places to buy bikinis/lingerie
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.