Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Dec 2010 (Sunday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mirror Lenses

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 01, 2011 21:27 |  #106

lannes wrote in post #11555391 (external link)
for a 500mm telephoto lens, don't you need the infinity focus ?

The longer the focal length the further away near infinity is, on a 28mm lens it might be 20 metres but on a 500mm it might be 100s of metres.

Gear List

sponsored links
wnichols
178 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 01, 2011 22:49 |  #107

Question about using an adapter with glass. I just picked up a Sigma 600mm FD for Canon and purchased an FD-EOS adapter (the kind with the glass) and have tried some tests shots. Seems to me to be very "soft" or maybe not as sharp as I had hoped. Is this mainly due to the adapter that is causing this? I've attached a link to some moon shots I took a couple of weeks ago. All were using a tripod, live view to focus, and a 2 second timer to avoid shaking the camera.

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/wfnichols/Sigma6​00mmMoonShots# (external link)

Sony A7RIII | Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 | Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 | Voigtlander 65mm f/2 APO | Voigtlander 110mm f/2.8 APO

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 02, 2011 05:59 |  #108

wnichols wrote in post #11555873 (external link)
Question about using an adapter with glass. I just picked up a Sigma 600mm FD for Canon and purchased an FD-EOS adapter (the kind with the glass) and have tried some tests shots. Seems to me to be very "soft" or maybe not as sharp as I had hoped. Is this mainly due to the adapter that is causing this? I've attached a link to some moon shots I took a couple of weeks ago. All were using a tripod, live view to focus, and a 2 second timer to avoid shaking the camera.

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/wfnichols/Sigma6​00mmMoonShots# (external link)

It would be good to see some daylight examples to gauge the sharpness.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 02, 2011 11:50 |  #109

Thanks , everyone - picking up a lot of info .
Looks like a lot of people want this stuff on ebay .
Infinity I don't think I need - I want for flowers - like a blooming stinging nettle, bugs - like a wasp or mud dobber nest . Probably a tripod at 3 to 10 feet .

Gear List

TheNewGuy01
45 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 02, 2011 20:05 |  #110

Hi all.

I have been lurking on this thread out of a mild intrest in mirror lenses.

I was talking with my dad tonight and he mentioned that he had a Canon 500mm mirror lens that is a fd mount. I am not sure if it is a f8 or f5.6 or it's condition. Needless to say my intrest was perked up with what I hav been reading here. He also offered up a whole boat load of fd gear but that is fo an other thread.

I have seen that some of you have successfully converted a fd mount to eos mount. I also have seen a number of links to eBay that might have the parts necessary to make this conversion. My head is spinning a bit and I can't make heads or tails of what is needed to do this as cheap and as reliable as possible.

Will the fd to eos converter I saw be best? Will I loose infinity focus? Would removing the old fd mount and installing some type of eos mount be best? What parts would I need.

I am new to my dslr. ( a newb... Newbe.. Not even sure how to spell this).

Sorry to OP fo jacking the thread. Thanks for starting it though.

Bill

EOS 80D, EOS 450D/XSI, EF 50mm F1.8 STM, EF 100mm F/2.8 macro, Tamron SP 17-50MM F/2.8 XR Di II VC, EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD, 430EXII
Ricoh KR-5 Super 52mmf2

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 02, 2011 20:16 |  #111

You might get lucky with a glass-less FD to EF adapter due to the lens focussing past infinity as standard. To replace the mount you'll have to drill the new mount (the FD to EF mount might suffice) to match the screw pattern of the old FD mount.

Gear List

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 02, 2011 21:17 |  #112

TheNewGuy01 wrote in post #11560620 (external link)
Hi all.

I have been lurking on this thread out of a mild intrest in mirror lenses.

I was talking with my dad tonight and he mentioned that he had a Canon 500mm mirror lens that is a fd mount. I am not sure if it is a f8 or f5.6 or it's condition. Needless to say my intrest was perked up with what I hav been reading here. He also offered up a whole boat load of fd gear but that is fo an other thread.

I have seen that some of you have successfully converted a fd mount to eos mount. I also have seen a number of links to eBay that might have the parts necessary to make this conversion. My head is spinning a bit and I can't make heads or tails of what is needed to do this as cheap and as reliable as possible.

Will the fd to eos converter I saw be best? Will I loose infinity focus? Would removing the old fd mount and installing some type of eos mount be best? What parts would I need.

I am new to my dslr. ( a newb... Newbe.. Not even sure how to spell this).

Sorry to OP fo jacking the thread. Thanks for starting it though.

Bill

Go back to my original post (#4 on this topic) and you'll see it's easy to do...

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 02, 2011 22:22 |  #113

TheNewGuy01
I bookmarked this so I could find it again . You also find by clicking on user CP and the your subscriptions .

Gear List

TheNewGuy01
45 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 02, 2011 22:58 |  #114

richardfox wrote in post #11561136 (external link)
Go back to my original post (#4 on this topic) and you'll see it's easy to do...

Thanks. I was ably to find your recommended mount in post 96. I will have to get this mount before I pick up that lens. I can drill it out easy.

Thanks The ran and r morales for your suggestions. I will probably get that fd adaptor for other projects.

Thanks for all your help.

EOS 80D, EOS 450D/XSI, EF 50mm F1.8 STM, EF 100mm F/2.8 macro, Tamron SP 17-50MM F/2.8 XR Di II VC, EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD, 430EXII
Ricoh KR-5 Super 52mmf2

Fligi7
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 03, 2011 22:21 |  #115

So, which brands of mirror lenses are the highest quality?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,383 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 03, 2011 23:07 |  #116

Fligi7 wrote in post #11568574 (external link)
So, which brands of mirror lenses are the highest quality?

i think they've already been pointed out in this thread..or the "poor mans 500mm" thread that was linked to earlier

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 04, 2011 09:45 |  #117

I read , make a word doc. My memory sucks

https://photography-on-the.net …7&highlight=mir​ror&page=2

I think the following are quite good for canon cameras.

New Canon 500mm f/8 FD
Sigma 600mm f8
Olympus Zuiko Reflex f/8
Tamron 500mm f/8 SP

The bottom of a coke bottle would be sharper than these. (mainly korean made and rebadged)

Opteka 500mm f/8 and 800mm f/8
Samyang 500mm f/8
Vivitar Series 1 500mm f/8
Phoenix
Cosina
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=11534824#po​st11534824
Opteka, Samyang, Falcon, Rokinon are all just rubbish !!! not sharp and no contrast ... don't buy any of them !

Gear List

Fligi7
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 04, 2011 10:24 |  #118

DreDaze wrote in post #11568882 (external link)
i think they've already been pointed out in this thread..or the "poor mans 500mm" thread that was linked to earlier

Really? I must have missed that. I thought I had been following the thread very closely but apparently not. I will go back and re-read.

Noel ­ Johnson
275 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 30, 2011 10:07 as a reply to  @ Fligi7's post |  #119

After a few weeks of being tied up with other things, I've finally gotten some time to go out and have a play.
My 4th generation Adaptall2 to EOS adaptor turned up a few weeks ago. First impressions are very good, it's a good bit of metal with no excess glue on the chip, or anywhere in fact.
I still have not programmed it, but for a first play I think these are alright. Please bear in mind, it's cold and very overcast in the UK at the moment.

Tree sparrows:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …unny/Sparrows/D​PP_001.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …unny/Sparrows/D​PP_006.jpg (external link)

Both taken with Tamron SP 500 mirror lens, supported with a monopod and no cropping. I think with better light the lens will be pretty good and sharp.

Team Bunny. Depth before dishonour.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/noeljphotograph​y/ (external link)
EOS80D, Canon 24-105 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L, Canon 80-200 F2.8L. Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3 OS, 380EX speedlight and a bunch of other stuff I can't use.

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 30, 2011 10:58 |  #120

Those are great shots .
Where / who did you get the chip from ?
Is it used in these shots ?
please post more about installing and programing - hopefully on a 7D or XTI .
Probably the same as the 50D - I hope .

Gear List

sponsored links

45,703 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mirror Lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.