Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 29 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting media pass for University hoops/football games... questions

gosundevils
401 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 29, 2010 19:31 |  #1

I'm going to be working for the school paper / magazine this semester and hopefully next semester as well, and I wanted to try to get a photo pass for mens basketball and football (spring scrimmages). Just wanted to know if there was anything I should send the media director besides the fact that I work for ASU's State Press/State Press Magazine and am seeking a media pass... your help is appreciated.

5DmkII – 50 1.4 USM – 28 1.8 USM
full gear list
flickr (external link)
www.osephj.com (external link)

sponsored links
Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 29, 2010 20:52 |  #2

The school paper/magazine applies for you.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

BLD_007
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 29, 2010 20:54 |  #3

gosundevils wrote in post #11537761 (external link)
I'm going to be working for the school paper / magazine this semester and hopefully next semester as well, and I wanted to try to get a photo pass for mens basketball and football (spring scrimmages). Just wanted to know if there was anything I should send the media director besides the fact that I work for ASU's State Press/State Press Magazine and am seeking a media pass... your help is appreciated.

If you work for the school paper, they should be the ones that get you a press pass.

Glass: 8-15 f/4.0L | 16-35 f/2.8LmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L mkII | 100 f/2.8L Macro | 300 f/2.8LmkII
Bodies: Canon 1d X : Canon 1d mkIV : Canon 50d

gosundevils
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 29, 2010 22:55 |  #4

Can't get one from the school paper until the semester starts... we've got 4 home games before then.

full gear list
flickr (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 30, 2010 10:12 |  #5

gosundevils wrote in post #11538941 (external link)
Can't get one from the school paper until the semester starts... we've got 4 home games before then.

If the paper wants coverage they would get you in otherwise you don't belong there right now.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

gosundevils
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 30, 2010 10:18 |  #6

Sledhed wrote in post #11541008 (external link)
If the paper wants coverage they would get you in otherwise you don't belong there right now.

Thanks cutie.

full gear list
flickr (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 30, 2010 10:35 |  #7

gosundevils wrote in post #11541060 (external link)
Thanks cutie.

Just telling you how it works, if you don't want to listen that's up to you. The media outlet contacts the media director and applies for your credential. If you contact him on your own, odds are you will be denied or even black listed. If that happens you won't even get in when the paper applies for you.

Chris

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 30, 2010 13:05 |  #8

I've seen pictures of Chris, he is pretty cute.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 31, 2010 16:51 |  #9

gosundevils wrote in post #11538941 (external link)

You should talk to your school paper and see if the can get your credentialed for those games to use as practice...I would think they would do that. I don't know of any D1 schools giving credentials out to any freelance photogs to any non Olympic sports (i.e. football and basketball) A few DII's will and most DIII will on the other hand. If the school paper will not, you can try sending an e-mail to the SID, but make sure you explain your situation fully. Chances are you will not be put on the black list that way.

What I would suggest if you want practice before hand try getting in a DII or III school, or even a High School first.

Good luck.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 02, 2011 22:59 |  #10

I'll second Sledhed's comments: the paper applies for credentials. Chances are they have a season pass already for their reporters and photographers, so get in touch with your sports/photo editor to see if you can get an assignment.

Just because you work for the paper doesn't mean you, as a photographer, have free reign to seek credentials for whatever event you want to go to. Your editor may or may not like that kind of behavior.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 03, 2011 04:57 |  #11

Chris has it right, unless you have a name behind you it's the paper (or client) and you don't belong there to practice or just be there for the hell of it. Spots are reserved for media on assignment for a reason, the school paper I would assume would take back seat to nationals, rags, and everyone else to because the school has a paid sports photographer they can just give the paper images from if they have a working agreement with each other, which they probably do.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Chronoknight
156 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 05, 2011 14:28 |  #12

I'm a fellow university news photographer (yay for the PAC 10) and I'll echo what everyone else is saying. The paper applies, not you.

Email your photo editor (or call them) and have them apply for you. For me it's as easy as having them shoot an email to the sports information office so my name is on the press list for the game. It usually has to be done 4-5 days before a game. Good luck and have fun!

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - 15-85mm IS - Sigma 30mm ƒ/1.4 - 40mm ƒ/2.8 STM - 50mm ƒ/1.8 II - 24-105mm ƒ/4L IS
- 70-200mm ƒ/4L IS

JHunter
313 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 07, 2011 14:15 |  #13

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #11562780 (external link)
Chris has it right, unless you have a name behind you it's the paper (or client) and you don't belong there to practice or just be there for the hell of it. Spots are reserved for media on assignment for a reason, the school paper I would assume would take back seat to nationals, rags, and everyone else to because the school has a paid sports photographer they can just give the paper images from if they have a working agreement with each other, which they probably do.

Every time I've shot, its the other way around. The schools tend to treat student media better than other outlets, we get as many passes as we need, before anyone else does. The only time anyone gets preferential treatment over us is when ESPN rolls into town, and they get treated better than anyone.

Jack
Eos 1d Mark IV | Eos 1D Mark IIn | Eos 1v |24-70 f/2.8 L | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS| 300/2.8 L IS | 430EX | 580EX II
http://www.jackhunterp​hoto.com (external link)

Coco44
90 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 07, 2011 14:24 |  #14

it helps when your dad owns a sports paper I fight other photographers for the LSU and saints games all the time.

NGC2141
318 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 08, 2011 10:09 |  #15

When I started shooting for the University, I simply contacted the Sports Information Director about being a contributor. He asked to see my work and I directed them to my website. He then told me to just call him with the dates I want to go to and my name will be on the list. Granted, I am doing it for a Division II school so it might not be the same at Division I schools.

The Sports Information Director is the person that schedules all media passes so that would be the person you would ultimately need to work with, whether through your school or yourself.

USMC - Semper Fidelis

sponsored links

4,582 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting media pass for University hoops/football games... questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.