Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 15 Nov 2010 (Monday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which are the best "must see" airshows?

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 17, 2010 18:47 as a reply to  @ post 11303123 |  #16

Miramar is a good show and runs for three days, including a Twilight show on Saturday. The best place to shoot from is the grandstand and the worst place is the media pit.

Miramar doesn't have the greatest light either. The runway runs east-west and that's the same direction the sun travels throughout the day.

John

sponsored links
aviator.4.life
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 18, 2010 11:43 |  #17

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11292476 (external link)
Dayton, OH has a heck of an airshow / trade show each year (Bonus: Museum of the USAF there as well)

Don't think Dayton is a "must see" anymore. Back in '03 for the 100 years of aviation show was the peak but now it's just a regular show, good none-the-less. And yeah the museum is definitely a great bonus.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,394 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 18, 2010 15:31 |  #18

Yes, I attended Miramar last month. Great show, but I went on Sunday when it was over-cast. (Saturday had clear skys, I was told) I paid around $68 for the Flight deck chatlet, which was worth every cent, a great experience. Next year I'm gonna get a hotel room and stay for both days.

Here's a shot taken with my Olympus gear. Next year I'll bring my new Canon gear.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/5053457784_88a757110c_b.jpg

JWright wrote in post #11303165 (external link)
Miramar is a good show and runs for three days, including a Twilight show on Saturday. The best place to shoot from is the grandstand and the worst place is the media pit.

Miramar doesn't have the greatest light either. The runway runs east-west and that's the same direction the sun travels throughout the day.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

JWright
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 23, 2010 17:36 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #19

I'm about done with Miramar, unless the performer list changes drastically in the future. I've been there the last seven years and the experience was so bad this year I left before the Blue Angels went up and didn't go back the other two days.

Since 2007 I've been covering the show for a monthly aviation newspaper (which is now apparently defunct) and there has been an increasing tendency for the Marines to use the media pit as a catch-all area for families and invited guests. There are just too many people competing for space on the platform to make it worthwhile.

John

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,394 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 23, 2010 17:57 |  #20

JWright wrote in post #11335436 (external link)
I'm about done with Miramar, unless the performer list changes drastically in the future. I've been there the last seven years and the experience was so bad this year I left before the Blue Angels went up and didn't go back the other two days.

Since 2007 I've been covering the show for a monthly aviation newspaper (which is now apparently defunct) and there has been an increasing tendency for the Marines to use the media pit as a catch-all area for families and invited guests. There are just too many people competing for space on the platform to make it worthwhile.

Other than the media pit problem, what was wrong with the performer list that made it a bad experience?

This year was my first time at Mirimar, I liked it.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

J_Nicholas
122 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 23, 2010 23:39 |  #21

Don't forget Sun N Fun in Lakeland, FL.

Canon 40D, 7D, EOS3, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8

http://www.jnicholasph​otography.com (external link)

nickcam
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 24, 2010 13:16 |  #22

I'm also a big warbird fan, so Chino is a good one for me. Reno always have a good mix of races and performers, and some great static airplanes to shoot.

Camarillo had a good showing of warbirds. They have a CAF wing there, and some toys came over to play from Chino.

Sacramento put on a well organized show with lots of acts. There weren't any parking or admission headaches, which was nice. And the 4 ship of P-38s didn't hurt either. ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

JWright
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 24, 2010 23:47 as a reply to  @ nickcam's post |  #23

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #11335544 (external link)
Other than the media pit problem, what was wrong with the performer list that made it a bad experience?

This year was my first time at Mirimar, I liked it.

With the addition of the Snowbirds the last two years, the performer list has been virtually the same for the last four or five years. It's fine if it's your first time, as it was for you, but after several years, it gets repetitious...

I will be making the trek over to Arizona for the show at Luke AFB in Phoenix in the spring because the show will be different and my wife has family in the area.

John

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,995 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 30, 2010 16:12 as a reply to  @ JWright's post |  #24

I know that the OP was looking for shows on the West Coast of the USA, but IMO the absolutly must see show anywhere is the Shuttlworth Collection shows held at Old Warden Airfield in Bedfordshire England. This is the only palce in the world that you can see many of the worlds oldest surviving examples of types, and dating to before WWI and all in airworthy condition. A few examples are:

Bleriot XI from 1909 the same type as Bleriot used for the first crossing of the English Channel. Not only have I seen them fly it but crash it as well!

Blackburn Monoplane from 1912, the oldest British aircraft in existance, it flys much better than the aircraft mentioed above.

Sopwith Pup WWI British fighter.

LVG C VI only surviving WWI German aircraft left anywhere, also still flying.

Bristol Fighter, another WWI British fighter, but in this case a two seater. Seeing a mock dogfight with the LVG, with both observers firing blanks from their machine guns was undoubetdly superb.

They had the sucessor to Sopwiths (now part of BAE) make them a Camel from the original drawings. It is offically not a reproduction, but an original just built after a bit of a gap in production!

Many 1920's and 30's civillian and millitary aircraft

Gloster Gladiator Last one of those as well.

The two newest types that they have would be the Spit MkVc and a just post war Percival Piston Provost.

There was a comedy film made in the late 1960's called: Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. Many very early types were recreated for the film, including the A V Roe Triplane and the Bristol Boxkite (a licence built version of the Wright Flyer) These replicas are also in the collection.

The fact that the Airfield is grass and very small stops them being able to operate anything newer/bigger.

The Airfield also stared in the BBC TV Drama series Wings, which was made in the 1970's and was about a WWI RFC Squadron, which I guess may have made it across the pond.

I haven't been in quite a few years but plan to change that this year. They normally have monthly shows between May and October.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 02, 2011 23:03 |  #25

Coming March 26/27 is 50th Anniversary of NAS Meridian, Mississippi and 100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation. http://www.wingsoverme​ridian.com/ (external link)

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

Robert.P
65 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 03, 2011 13:09 |  #26

Oshkosh is a winner!

Slimsphotos
846 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 03, 2011 13:23 |  #27

Not managed US shows yet, but for Europe there are a few. Would agree with BigAl above, Old Warden is magic for the really old aircraft, and the evening displays are a real treat (2010 good, 2009 too windy). Also we have Duxford for WW I and WWII aircraft, plus one show a year with cold war aircraft. Probably biggest in Europe is RIAT (Royal International Air Tattoo) at Fairford AB, a big meeting of many military forces displaying their best and newest. Also, this year we have the Zeltweg Air power show, which is organised every 2 years by Red Bull, so interesting. I'm also a fan of Axalp here in Switzerland, just for the scenery for a short show.

Am willing to swap a couple of european shows for a couple of US shows, any takers :-)

Chris

Aviation Law - If your wings are travelling faster than your fuselage, it better be a helicopter.
Slims Photos (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 03, 2011 13:24 |  #28

I'd do RIAT and Axalp with a side trip to the Loop! :D

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Slimsphotos
846 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 03, 2011 13:43 |  #29

Sounds fine Jay, what ya got in return :-)

Aviation Law - If your wings are travelling faster than your fuselage, it better be a helicopter.
Slims Photos (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 03, 2011 13:45 |  #30

We can offer you Oshkosh, Alliance in Texas and, um, er...

Well, I guess we got nothin' that compares to the Mach Loop. Sorry... :(

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

6,401 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which are the best "must see" airshows?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.