Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Dec 2010 (Monday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to do people afford some of these lenses...

Beni ­ N.
76 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2011 00:17 |  #346

sol95 wrote in post #11562138 (external link)
I have a wife who works for Canon, and so have access to staff discounts.

I buy what I'm interested in. If it's what I hoped for, I keep it. If it's a bit ho-hum, I use it for about a year, then sell it - usually for about the same or more than what I paid on staff discount. :)

So unlimited rentals pretty much? Nice.

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 03, 2011 00:19 |  #347

Beni N. wrote in post #11562041 (external link)
I can't really tell if you're disagreeing with me or agreeing. Anyway, the lack of "professionals" is exactly why it is easy for a non professional amateur artist to make a little money. Twice a year the park near where I live has an art festival and most of the artists are just people from local high schools. The festival usually rakes in between $10,000 to $20,000 yearly.

Show some decent work and put up a craigslist ad and it's pretty easy to get a few 'gigs' of sorts. I'll admit you will not be making a living off of it (see starving artist somewhere in new york), but it's easy to make a little cash if need be.

edit: When I say "professional," I mean to actually have it as your profession, meaning you're living off the money generated from said profession. Obviously photographers will do much better than artists when it comes to getting gigs when you consider everyone. In that regard, I completely agree with ya.

Am I the only one who is thoroughly confused by this post?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

E.o.s
113 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 03, 2011 00:43 |  #348

Jericobot wrote in post #11556513 (external link)
Your sig list gear is on credit? I hope your making some from it

I've paid 2500$ upfront rest is divided into EMI's which is deducted every month via ECS from my bank account, though i have enough cash to splash but if you have 0% finance available then its no brainier to pay all at once.

1D Mark 4,5D Mark2, 70-200 F 2.8 II L,70-200 F4 IS L 85 F1.2 L 24-70 F2.8 L 50 F1.4 + Talent

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 03, 2011 06:26 |  #349

Dr.Pete wrote in post #11561527 (external link)
I'm still waiting for the Zipp Super 9 to drop below $2K. :)

I'm thinking that the next fight over my wallet will be a new set of HEDs w/PowerTap duking it out with a 35L.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 03, 2011 08:55 |  #350

E.o.s wrote in post #11562212 (external link)
I've paid 2500$ upfront rest is divided into EMI's which is deducted every month via ECS from my bank account, though i have enough cash to splash but if you have 0% finance available then its no brainier to pay all at once.

1D Mark 4,5D Mark2, 70-200 F 2.8 II L,70-200 F4 IS L 85 F1.2 L 24-70 F2.8 L 50 F1.4 + Talent

Well, I guess that makes sense since you have so much talent you have to list it in your sig! I don't believe I've ever noticed anyone else on here with so much talent it had to be listed on their gear list. Then again, maybe yours is a gears list...

I mean that kind of tongue in cheek. I think your sig is the first I've noticed that explicitly stated "Talent." At least you're not tagging things you write yourself - or even your sig - as "Book worthy"

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 03, 2011 09:26 |  #351

mikekelley wrote in post #11562085 (external link)
That's why you tailor your resume to each individual job you apply for...and don't tell the home depot people you're looking for another job.

It goes without saying that you shouldn't tell them that you're looking for something else. You might as well say that you don't want their job!

I also agree that it is helpful, at times, to "dummy down" your resume, but it is really hard to hide a strong history from any employer that intends to check your background. Armed with your SS number and name, they can see a lot about your background that you might seek to hide - the MBA, the 25 years of management, that kind of thing. That's not always the case, of course, but larger outfits do check.

Even how you speak in an interview can shed some light on your background. You don't apply at the local trucking outfit, and then start talking about Pythagoras or Socrates in the interview.

Heck, they often do credit checks now, which serve as an indicator of your previous income as well as your trustworthiness. If you have a history of charging $2000 a month and paying off your card every month, they know that you weren't a burger flipper at the local fast food restaurant for the last 10 years.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

marivil
327 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 03, 2011 10:56 |  #352

guntoter wrote in post #11522716 (external link)
I have used this example on here before, but I work with a lot of guys who punch a time clock and their main hobby is bass fishing. They own $30,000 to $50,000 bass boats, and spend $100 every time they take them out to the lake.

There are many thousands of people in this country with these boats.

Think of the photography gear you could buy with the price of a bass boat.

BTW, I don't own a bass boat. I take pictures instead.

I have used the same analogy many times. The same goes for hunting..etc. I do have a bad habit of the restoring cars also. My main reasoning photography is something that produces cash and I can fall back onto it as my health worsens.
I tend to shoot all types of settings and rely on many lens and lights. In addition I own a few bodies and lens to help build interest in my other family members.

-Gene-
Always looking forward to my next shoot.
Gear- Canon Bodies- 5D Mark II , 50D both gripped -- Lens - 300L F.28 IS, 70-200L F2.8 IS II, 24-105L IS and a 35L F1.4. , WHAT'S NEXT
?
2x & 1.4 Extender - 580 EX II

dafriz
96 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 03, 2011 11:53 |  #353

I had a "wishlist", so I worked my butt off and saved every penny I possibly could. When I'd scratched enough money together, I searched high and low for the best prices I could find on the items I wanted. I ended up buying my 10-22 and 24-105 used through this forum, and obtained these two fine pieces of glass (which looked, felt and functioned as if they were brand new) at a decent discount over retail prices. At the time, I didn't see many 100-400 lenses on the used market, so ended up buying it new (along with a couple other smaller items) from B&H. Conveniently, Canon rebates were in season at the time and that saved me some money too.

I currently shoot with a 7D, but had a 40D before that and an XT before that. I bought the bodies new. When I got the 40D (and 28-135), I sold my XT and 18-55mm lens on this forum to offset the cost. When I bought the 7D (again with the 28-135, as the one that came with my 40D was sold to a friend shortly after I got my 24-105), I sold my gripped 40D and the 28-135 that came with the 7D to a friend. This made the cost to upgrade much more bearable on someone with limited disposable income.

I should note that during the time I was lusting over items not yet in my possession, I was happy with what I had and made it work for me. Although I now have what I'd consider decent gear, I still believe that it's not what you have that makes the shot (or photographer, for that matter) but how you use what you have available to you. I've seen people using the 24-105 on a 5D2 and someone standing next to them with a XS and the kit lens... The person with the XS got the better shot, while the user of the 5D2 was left complaining about how the Auto mode he was using left him with an out-of-focus and overexposed image. He walked away muttering something about a "stupid %$@! expensive piece of *&$@" that was going to be returned because it was "clearly broken".

7D w/ grip, 10-22, 24-105, 100-400, 50/1.8 II, 430EX II -- (40D w/ grip, XT, 18-55, 28-135, 55-200)

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 03, 2011 12:51 |  #354

I bought most the things I have second hand and saved a lot of money doing that.

I'm only 21 years old and still studying, so I save up for everything I want.
I do buy always the best, so that I have to buy that once.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 03, 2011 13:47 |  #355

Dr.Pete wrote in post #11554719 (external link)
So far, my L lenses have absolutely horrible ROI. I've made about 50 bucks selling photos taken with L glass. If you're not a professional, L glass is hardly an "investement."

Even if you are a pro its not necessarily a good investment. I see lots of photographers in my area working weddings with less than stellar gear. Certainly not "L" glass and full frame bodies.

We have a popular studio photographer close by that uses a 28-135 almost exclusively. Most people cant tell the difference between a 28-135 and a 24-70 at 4.0 or less....They can at 2.8 though....

kumicho
402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 03, 2011 14:24 |  #356

Kronie wrote in post #11565127 (external link)
Even if you are a pro its not necessarily a good investment. I see lots of photographers in my area working weddings with less than stellar gear. Certainly not "L" glass and full frame bodies.

We have a popular studio photographer close by that uses a 28-135 almost exclusively. Most people cant tell the difference between a 28-135 and a 24-70 at 4.0 or less....They can at 2.8 though....

When one's a picture and the other is a blank space? :lol:

Canon 400d
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Canon 100mm f/2.0
Canon EOS M
Canon 22mm f/2.0

CGunner
26 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 03, 2011 18:04 |  #357

Put 3 dollars away, every day, for a year, and at the end of the year you'll have 1000 dollars. Or 6 dollars a day and in 6 months you'll have a 1000 dollars.

Rebel T2i
18-55mm Kit lens, Sigma 70-300mm, Canon 70-200mm f4L, Zeikos Grip
http://500px.com/Drift​woodPhotography (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 03, 2011 18:22 as a reply to  @ CGunner's post |  #358

I agree, save hard and get good stuff. Like I said, I am giving up golf due to having had back surgery, that is like an easy $1500 a year in rounds and balls.

Great comments about saving for good stuff and learning and enjoying what you have while waiting and saving. That is the approach I am rolling with. Everyone knows that appreciation and real enjoyment comes from getting something that was hard earned and when you get there, you will be better able to use it and appreciate it instead of just reading about why it is so awesome and you should have it.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

cosmen
90 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2011 15:05 |  #359

For me it's a passion for photography combined with an obsession to strive for the perfect photo (if that's possible). Ultimately it's the person behind the camera that counts the most but good L glass can make your quest a lot easier. Besides, I don't smoke and I don't drink so I have some extra cash lying around when I need it.

My Gear

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,938 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 06, 2011 15:16 |  #360

cosmen wrote in post #11586590 (external link)
I don't smoke and I don't drink so I have some extra cash lying around when I need it.

Same here, but I have kids and bicycle racing to take up the difference.

Agreed about the user being the biggest difference though. I just got back from Disney, and reflecting on my shots, I can see so many things I should have done a little differently. Still came out with shots rivaling the ones we could pay for, but I know what my shortcomings are, and I can continue to work on those... while I rally for budget line-items for glass...

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

sponsored links

31,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to do people afford some of these lenses...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.