Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Jan 2011 (Monday) 12:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

portable HD for a 5D?

studiocarter
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 03, 2011 12:20 |  #1

Hi,
New here. I have a 5D for my oil paintings and astrophotgraphy a little. Is there a portable hard drive I can down load to, archive to while on the go? Perhaps it isn't even needed with 4 GB CF cards now in use, I have one. Thanks

Michael

sponsored links
kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 03, 2011 12:36 |  #2

there are external hdds which can read cf cards on the go, but i think a better solution would be to just buy one/several more cf cards. how many pictures are you expecting to take before having access to a computer?

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 03, 2011 12:40 as a reply to  @ kendon's post |  #3

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but check out the Epson P-3000.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

studiocarter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 04, 2011 12:36 |  #4

Cards confuse me; they accumulate stuff that I forget is there. I like the idea of the Epson thing. I could see what is there with it and erase the card.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 05, 2011 02:00 |  #5

studiocarter wrote in post #11571904 (external link)
Cards confuse me; they accumulate stuff that I forget is there. I like the idea of the Epson thing. I could see what is there with it and erase the card.

ummm...You could also just download the card to your computer after a shoot and then erase the card.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 05, 2011 02:12 |  #6

philwillmedia wrote in post #11576491 (external link)
ummm...You could also just download the card to your computer after a shoot and then erase the card.

That's what I do :)

David

David

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 05, 2011 03:10 |  #7

I simply carry two pouches.

One for full cards, one for empty.

What is on the card specifically doesn't interest me, because they'll All get unloaded (full or not) at the same time.

At which point i can clearly see what is on them, and organize it the way i want.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jan 05, 2011 10:44 |  #8

I went to Florida, along the Outer Banks back in May and knowing I was going to be taking a ton of photos, I cleaned most of my CF cards and bought my first lap top to download daily what I shot. Worked out great and only needed a few cards after all. Still, nice knowing that if I needed extra cards, I had them. Also knew that there are stores along the way to buy more, if needed! :)

Also, wouldn't it be easier buying and carrying an extra CF card or two than a portable HDDs?

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,302 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 05, 2011 11:08 |  #9

studiocarter wrote in post #11564633 (external link)
Perhaps it isn't even needed with 4 GB CF cards now in use, I have one. Thanks

Pick up a couple of 32GB cards.. On my 18 Mp 7D, they will net me almost 2400 full size RAW shots at ISO 200.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 05, 2011 22:27 |  #10

Tbh, i can think of a situation where you could never have enough cards...

TimeLapsing.

I tried to do a few during a trip and its ridiculously card heavy, unless you stick to jpgs but thats not an option for me.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2011 05:40 |  #11

Csae wrote in post #11582519 (external link)
Tbh, i can think of a situation where you could never have enough cards...

TimeLapsing.

I tried to do a few during a trip and its ridiculously card heavy, unless you stick to jpgs but thats not an option for me.

If jpegs aren't an option what about mRAW or sRAW? They give you the versatility of raw processing and smaller file sizes. You're going to be shrinking the actual images for the final output anyway.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

studiocarter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 06, 2011 08:22 |  #12

My 5D uses a 4 GB card now. Would it use a larger one?
What is a good and proper laptop to use out in the field? My HP screen died.

Njv
Goldmember
1,858 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 06, 2011 10:29 |  #13

studiocarter wrote in post #11584262 (external link)
My 5D uses a 4 GB card now. Would it use a larger one?
What is a good and proper laptop to use out in the field? My HP screen died.

Yes.

And that is a very general question. You're going to get a huge mix of opinions on here from which laptop is the "best". Go with one that you want, not what someone else tells you is good for them.

7d|tamron 17-50mm f2.8

studiocarter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 11, 2011 10:49 |  #14

Nevermind which laptop for now.
The 5D will use a 32 GB card according to the place that sold me the camera. I bought a 8 GB card that is real fast for kung fu action bursts. For the same price on line I could have bought the larger card. My Compact Flash IBM MicroDrive USB card reader by GE reads and writes to CF cards. 32 GB is a lot of backup. The laptop can absorb all the photos off smaller cards from the camera, then write them out onto the 32 GB card for a field backup. Cool!
That does it for me.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 11, 2011 11:06 |  #15

studiocarter wrote in post #11564633 (external link)
Hi,
New here. I have a 5D for my oil paintings and astrophotgraphy a little. Is there a portable hard drive I can down load to, archive to while on the go? Perhaps it isn't even needed with 4 GB CF cards now in use, I have one. Thanks

Michael

Look at the Hyperdrives, www.hyperdrive.com (external link). You can load your own 2.5" drive up to 750 GB.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links

1,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
portable HD for a 5D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.