Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 03 Jan 2011 (Monday) 09:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Gold Rush

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 03, 2011 09:08 |  #1

A recent trip to a Gold Mine and Mill. 3 shots handheld.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5311729671_4e01bfe3bb_z.jpg

Jon
So much to learn, so little time.
A few worthy shots (external link)

sponsored links
TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2011 10:31 |  #2

Another great shot Jon! Not your norm, but I really like it. Where did you go for this one?

Hopefully we can get together and go shoot again. I hate the fact I was pressed for time last time. I'm already getting excited about going to shoot the Aspens in Sept. Do you ever go shoot any waterfalls? I would really like to go shoot some waterfalls this winter with ice and snow all around them. Let me know if are up for that or have any suggestions.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

J-Blake
THREAD ­ STARTER
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 03, 2011 11:23 |  #3

Thanks Tyler. This was taken at the Argo Mine and Mill in Idaho Springs.

I was driving up skiing on New Years Day and was thinking the same thing. Let's plan it.

Jon

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,694 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2011 19:50 as a reply to  @ J-Blake's post |  #4

Nice shot. Do you have any of the mill that turned out interesting? The image above looks like it was a pain to figure out the horizon line. :D

Be sure to reserve some time to drag me along on one of your photo safaris too. Just a little over two months and I will become a member of the retired community. I'm sure I'll be headed your way some day to take photos.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

J-Blake
THREAD ­ STARTER
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2011 09:13 |  #5

I do, but I still need to finish processing them. Here's one of the outside to give you an idea of the place. It's not one of my favorites, but it is handy at the moment. I'll try to finish some more tonight.

Any time you want to venture out this way Gene....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Jon

LSU
167 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 04, 2011 11:29 |  #6

Nice. Really impressive that you were able to handhold it, doesn't look too bright in there.

Canon 5D Mark III
Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Fisheye | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM

http://blake.zenfolio.​com/portfolio (external link)

J-Blake
THREAD ­ STARTER
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 05, 2011 11:50 |  #7

Thansk LSU.

Here's a few more from inside the mill:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Jon

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,694 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2011 20:27 as a reply to  @ J-Blake's post |  #8

Interesting images of the mill and its equipment. The first and third shot looks like they may be oversharpened (having done that many times myself) and the second looks like there's some motion blur, especially on the ladder on the right.

Out of curiosity, did you desaturate these some?

Wish there was an old factory in my area to do these types of images.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

J-Blake
THREAD ­ STARTER
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 05, 2011 21:44 |  #9

Here's the third on revised with less sharpening. I agree with you that it looks better. First one I don't see it, but maybe it's me. Most of these are very noisy, but with the wood, rust and dirt I left it for the most part. However, it did make me look at sharpening as that just made the noise worse. Maybe that's partly what you're seeing?

I noticed the ladder too, but figured it couldn't be motion blur as the rest of the shot was still. If you notice the ladder is quite a ways behind the rest of the equipment so I'm going with DOF (even though it does appear as MB).

The only adjustment to color which was done to most of them was pulling out a little yellow which was more a WB correction than a desaturation.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Jon

J-Blake
THREAD ­ STARTER
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 05, 2011 21:48 |  #10

Here's a few more from the day.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Jon

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,694 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2011 22:26 as a reply to  @ J-Blake's post |  #11

I agree that there's really a lot of detail in a couple of the interior images, with the wood grain and rust etc on the metal. I'm guessing at a larger image size these look much better than they do at the size posted here. To be honest, I didn't think the images were noisy, just that the fine details were very prominent.

Thanks for posting the additional shots. What a great place to photograph.

jesseli
70 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 05, 2011 23:18 |  #12

Very good pics. Thanks for sharing.

G9, 30D, 7D, EF20/2.8, EF28/1.8, EF50/1.8II, EF20-35/3.5-4.5, EF28-135/3.5-5.6IS, Sigma AF70-200/2.8, 105/2.8Macro, 12-24/3.5-4.5, 2X APO, 420EX, 580EX, MT-24EX, EF12, EF15, etc.

My Windows Live Album (external link)

J-Blake
THREAD ­ STARTER
Great Googley Moogley!
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2011 08:48 |  #13

Thanks all. It's on my list to go back to for sure. This trip was more tourist than photographer and though I made the best of the situation, circumstances made it very limiting. A tripod and time would go a long way toward getting some fantastic shots.

Jon

jdmhon
233 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 09, 2011 16:36 |  #14

props for the hand held!

5D III x2 & FUJI xT-1s: 24L, 35L, 50L 85L II, 100L Macro H-IS, 135L Paul C Buff Lighting
-15" MacBook Pro Retina w/ Capture One & Lightroom 5 -Adobe CS6 Suite -NIK Software Contact: geoffmau@me.com (external link)
www.geoffmau.com (external link)

omer
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 10, 2011 15:43 as a reply to  @ jdmhon's post |  #15

Wonderful pics & great location

80D | 7D | M6 | 15-85 | 70-300 L | Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| efs 55-250 stm |270EX | 430EXII |

sponsored links

2,996 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Gold Rush
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.