Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jan 2011 (Monday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Second Body! Full Frame or not? 5d Classic? Help!

palwin
137 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 04, 2011 03:59 |  #16

I would get the 5D without any doubt. You get a lot for your money, a used 5D goes for 6-8000 SEK. I don't think spending twice as much for 5D Mark II is worth it. I love my 5D but the downside is the sensor gets easily dirty, doesn't have micro-adjust feature and the 5D Mark II suppose to have better ISO performance. But the ISO on the 5D is far from bad, I avoid going any higher than ISO 800.

I think it's better spend the money on other equipment such as lenses and accessories. Full-frame cameras are popular for weddings so think you will be pleased.

Tobias
Flickr (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
germinal
297 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 04, 2011 06:14 |  #17

Bang Bang Boy wrote in post #11565958 (external link)
Overall how does the 5d feel compared to the 7d. Is the IQ still acceptable or has age notably affected performance? Simply put, does it still take excellent pictures with todays standards? Could you perhaps post a 100 crop high ISO?

the 5Dc is almost the best IQ you can get from a 35mm DSLR camera... this probably will still be the case in ten years from now..

I'm talking about low iso stuff..

the IQ doesn't improve with newer camera's imo.. it's stuff like micro adjustments, higher res lcd screen, ability to shoot video, better high iso, better AF system etc that changes.. but pure IQ.. I wouldn't bet on it

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 04, 2011 07:49 |  #18

themadman wrote in post #11565935 (external link)
The 5D classic is slightly better than the 7D in high ISO. Even after resizing.

When I did a side by side, I found that at least with my copies, the two were very similar at ISO 3200 (with the 7D actually being a tiny bit better actually), beyond that the 7D has the win, below that the 5D has the win. I felt somewhere between 1600 and 3200, they would equalize.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 04, 2011 08:30 |  #19

Thanks guys!

@ WesternGuy. The low light I mention is like a dark church, a badly lit room. Not really landscape just situations where if I couple the 5d with a fast lens it will be able to shoot in situations where I might be forced to use a flash on my 50d.

@ MacroImage. I will have to check out DxO Optics Pro, right now I process all my raw's with Photoshop CS5 Extended. And considering I have the opposit habit to most people here, I don't really use the LCD on the camera to review images. Film damage I'd say, actually have it turned off on my 50d so I can save battery power.

Looks like I am gonna purchase the 5d Classic and the 50mm f/1.4 at the end of this month.

Now a deciding question, what is an acceptable shutter count? Below 30 000 or even lower?

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 04, 2011 10:43 |  #20

If you go with a 5DC, check to see if the mirror recall repair has been done on it, or plan to send it to Canon for the free repair. You can tell by looking at the mirror. If there are little clips visible near the corners of the mirror, then the fix has been done. If there are no clips, it hasn't been done. You might be able to search here and find some photos of the mirror before and after the fix.

Your usage is not the same as my usage. I held off buying 5DC because it's such a dust magnet and doesn't have the sensor cleaning found on the 5DII and your 50D. I often have to shoot in very dusty conditions (bad enough that I went to multiple crop cameras to avoid changing lenses as much as possible). The self cleaning system is really helpful on 5DII!

I think the camera's shutter is rated for 100,000 clicks. This is no guarantee that it will reach that goal... just Canon's prediction for life expectancy. The 5DII is the same, as are most of the other current and recent models. Canon rates the 7D at 150,000 and the more recent 1D series at 300,000, for comparison.

5DII saw virtually no improvement of its AF system, compared to 5DC.

I do use and like AF Microadjust, which allows fine tuning lens focus for up to 20 or 25 specific lenses. Your 50D has it. Both 7D and 5DII do, too. 60D and 5DC do not.

The new LP-E6 batteries used by the 5DII (and 7D, 60D) are quite good. They give nearly twice as many clicks. Of course, the older BP511A that your 50D and the 5DC use are more widely cloned and available inexpensively. I've bought generics as cheap as $6 or $8 apiece off eBay, that work just fine. Some third party LP-E6 are now available at lower prices, too, but be careful... some require their own charger, can't be recharged in the Canon charger.

I do like using a full frame camera in combination with an APS-C/1.6X crop sensor model. This really leverages the usefulness of my lens kit. I have no desire to get an APS-H/1.3X model.

However, I gotta say, my second camera is identical to my primary (currently a pair of 7D, but in the past it's been a pair of 30D or up to three 50D). My third camera is now full frame. However, weddings are way, way down my list of jobs. So my needs are different from yours! Many weddign photogs prefer to use full frame.

For fast, high volume editing, I use LIghtroom 3. For final image finishing, I use PS CS5.

High ISO is a very subjective thing... what I find acceptible you might not, or vice versa. With my 50D I hesitated using them above ISO 1600 and prefered to stay under that as much as possible. With 7D I'll shoot at ISO 3200. With 5DII I'll use ISO 6400 without too much concern. In part this is the newer cameras' capabilities, but partially too it's the most recent versions of Lightroom and Photoshop offer much improved noise handling. In the past, altho it was slower I used DPP for better noise control with high ISO RAW conversions, and then handed off the image to Photoshop for final work.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 04, 2011 11:58 |  #21

@Amfoto.

Thanks for the great information.

Right now I am considering getting a 5d or a 7d. A second hand 7d should be within my budget.

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 04, 2011 12:01 |  #22

The only thing that annoys me about the 5D vs a 50D is the screen and menus and such. The 5D is a dated camera in terms of user interface (including the screen/menus/buttons). Other than that it performs well!

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

MotoXPunk481
159 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 04, 2011 13:46 |  #23

I carry my 5D in tandem with my 5DII. When I got my MkII I thought I would shoot the 40D as second to have the crop and FF combo, but the 40D just sits in the bag. The quality of the 5Dc is still a great camera for wedding work.

(2X) Canon EOS 5DII | Canon EOS 5D w/ Grip | Canon EOS 40D w/ Grip | Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ Grip | 16-35 2.8L II | (2X) 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L | 24 1.4L II | 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS | 100 2.8 macro | (3X) 580EX II

North Carolina Wedding Photography (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,375 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 04, 2011 13:58 |  #24

JonK wrote in post #11571690 (external link)
The only thing that annoys me about the 5D vs a 50D is the screen and menus and such. The 5D is a dated camera in terms of user interface (including the screen/menus/buttons). Other than that it performs well!

How many photos are actually taken with the user interface? Its still a very capable camera and while I agree that the menus could be better, and a new review screen would be nice, non of those things really relate to the actual image making.

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 04, 2011 14:01 |  #25

I would go for a 5Dc for the money is the best deal IMO, that is what I did and dont regret it, sure Id love to have a 5DII, but I guess I'll wait for a 5D3 then
Seriously, the combination of a FF with a Crop body is very practical, you'll be ok with a FF like the 5Dc

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

sfinchler
67 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 04, 2011 14:09 |  #26

I've heard a lot of people say the classic 5D is good for high ISO but it's not good for sports. My problem is I need something for high ISO AND sports - basketball in gyms. If the knock on the 5D for sports is the slower fps, I can deal with that. If it's slow focusing, that's another story. What's the real story behind the "don't use a 5D for sports" criticism?

Canon 40D, 24-105mm f/4L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-300 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8L, etc.

tomme
Goldmember
1,263 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 04, 2011 14:30 as a reply to  @ sfinchler's post |  #27

the AI Focus/servo suck. one shoot, center focus is good though. get a 7D ;)

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,375 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 04, 2011 14:32 |  #28

sfinchler wrote in post #11572413 (external link)
I've heard a lot of people say the classic 5D is good for high ISO but it's not good for sports. My problem is I need something for high ISO AND sports - basketball in gyms. If the knock on the 5D for sports is the slower fps, I can deal with that. If it's slow focusing, that's another story. What's the real story behind the "don't use a 5D for sports" criticism?

You would probably be better served with a 7D. The knock on the 5D for sports is 3-fold. 1) you lose reach 2) only 3 FPS, and 3)accuracy and speed of focus points. The 5D does pretty well on the center focus point. Its accurate and certainly doesnt seem any slower than my 40D. But the outer points are less accurate and you dont have zone options like you do on the 7D.

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 04, 2011 15:55 |  #29

There is always some kind of compromise when people say thins like " I do weddings, sports, portraits and shoot birds and have 1000$" (before everyone jump I know you said 1500$, I am generalizing).

In other words you have to choose what you need, the 5D will give you better DOF control and nice IQ,
if sports is your priority then get a 7D, best balance of AF, reach and good Hi ISO, but then you have a 50D that can do sports nicely I believe

The 5D is no slouch in the AF, reach and frames per sec is your enemy, you'll need better longer lens for reach and is just slower frame rate than your 50D but brings nicer IQ and more DOF control that for me is very important.

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 04, 2011 16:15 |  #30

As previously stated I have the 50d for sports, which I rarely shoot. Perhaps twice a year! I shoot fashion, landscape and street life with some PJ stuff on the side and the occasional wedding.

Right now my only question is to figure out where I can get a 5d Classic in as good a shape as possible, I don't want it to brake down on me immediately and I do like it when stuff looks fresh.

What should I look for when I buy a second hand camera except the obvious as box, cables and receipts?

sponsored links

3,568 views & 0 likes for this thread
Second Body! Full Frame or not? 5d Classic? Help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.