Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Apr 2010 (Tuesday) 08:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=5D CLASSIC admirers, assemble! (4)

this thread is locked
ScottKCooper
Goldmember
1,500 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 05, 2011 14:05 |  #9106

moedizzle wrote in post #11578360 (external link)
Icebat- Very nice! Did you pick up a 24L or borrow?

Day 4/365- Tumi bottle filled with Peruvian Pisco. Good Stuff!

QUOTED IMAGE

I don't know - looks like he has a Tumi-ache to me ;) nice shot.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1276863

sponsored links
mattjns93
765 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 05, 2011 15:02 |  #9107

Hey guys, quick question. My 5D is having this issue where every other actuation, the viewfinder stays black and the mirror stays up until I either: A) turn the lens mount partially (as if I was taking the lens off) or B) click the shutter button a third time.

I'm assuming it's going to be an expensive repair. Should I repair it and keep it, or repair it and then sell it off for a 5DII? I really don't need a 5DII by any means, but I sure wouldn't mind having one. I'm just not sure which one is the better option, as in bang-for the buck.

5DII | 17-40L | 35L | 85L II | 50 1.8 | 430EX | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) (Please like it! :D)
Follow my photoblog of my study abroad in Florence! (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2011 15:06 |  #9108

mattjns93 wrote in post #11579680 (external link)
Hey guys, quick question. My 5D is having this issue where every other actuation, the viewfinder stays black and the mirror stays up until I either: A) turn the lens mount partially (as if I was taking the lens off) or B) click the shutter button a third time.

I'm assuming it's going to be an expensive repair. Should I repair it and keep it, or repair it and then sell it off for a 5DII? I really don't need a 5DII by any means, but I sure wouldn't mind having one. I'm just not sure which one is the better option, as in bang-for the buck.

Are you sure its not the mirror lockup being activated?

mattjns93
765 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 05, 2011 15:10 |  #9109

gonzogolf wrote in post #11579708 (external link)
Are you sure its not the mirror lockup being activated?

Yepp, I checked that option. I never have that enabled. I was using my camera and after a few shots it just started happening.

Edit: Just checked again... this is weird... Only happens with the 50 1.8 attached? Just tried it with my 17-40 and no problems to be found?
Edit2: Good deal. Just called them to update them on my issue. They said that they'll send my a pre-paid form as if I'm sending it in for the mirror-reinforcement and they'll also take a look at the issue I'm having with the 50mm.

5DII | 17-40L | 35L | 85L II | 50 1.8 | 430EX | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) (Please like it! :D)
Follow my photoblog of my study abroad in Florence! (external link)

moedizzle
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 05, 2011 15:41 |  #9110

ScottKCooper wrote in post #11579288 (external link)
I don't know - looks like he has a Tumi-ache to me ;) nice shot.

lol. You have to be careful not to drink too much of this, or you will be walking in the clouds. haha

www.ericvargas.net (external link)

Blog (external link)| Facebook (external link)| Gear

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,189 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2011 15:44 |  #9111

mattjns93 wrote in post #11579740 (external link)
Yepp, I checked that option. I never have that enabled. I was using my camera and after a few shots it just started happening.

Edit: Just checked again... this is weird... Only happens with the 50 1.8 attached? Just tried it with my 17-40 and no problems to be found?
Edit2: Good deal. Just called them to update them on my issue. They said that they'll send my a pre-paid form as if I'm sending it in for the mirror-reinforcement and they'll also take a look at the issue I'm having with the 50mm.

Its obvious that your copy of the plastic fantastic is haunted. I suggest sacrificing a goat at midnight on Ken Rockwell's porch.

By-tor
Goldmember
3,126 posts
Gallery: 707 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 05, 2011 16:37 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #9112

28mm 1.8

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i747.photobucke​t.com …or_Photo2112/IM​G_4576.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i747.photobucke​t.com …or_Photo2112/IM​G_4575.jpg (external link)

Olympus: E-M10 II & 14-150mm, E-PL5 & 14-42mm EZ
Fujifilm: X100F, X-T30, 35mm f2, 18-55mm, 55-200mm
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers.

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 05, 2011 17:58 |  #9113

smoosh added in PP.. I don't have your fancy lenses.. ;)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

ProD1gy_KiD
894 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 05, 2011 19:18 as a reply to  @ BrandonSi's post |  #9114

I'll be joining you guys soon! With a 35L as my ammunition.:cool:

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 05, 2011 19:19 |  #9115

mattjns93 wrote in post #11579740 (external link)

I'd check the pins on the nifty fifty to make sure none is dirty or damaged. A poor contact can produce all sorts of weird signs.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

zachbreaux
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 05, 2011 19:37 |  #9116

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/5328338851_0ae3af8511_b.jpg
Flickr for info: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/zachbreaux/5328​338851/ (external link)

My Gear |flickr (external link) |facebook fan page (external link) | zachbreaux.com (external link)

dandan1
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 05, 2011 20:20 |  #9117

^ Love it.

ISOlution|Photography (external link)

ElijahEOS
841 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 05, 2011 20:26 |  #9118

Brennan.M wrote in post #11576040 (external link)
Elijah, you're in Memphis? We should meet up in Nash sometime and hang out

yeah dude that would be awesome.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/elijaheos/ (external link)

galleybob
101 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 05, 2011 22:23 |  #9119

I am thinking about buying a used 5D for $1000 with extra battery. Has had the shutter replaced and the mirror fix done and is considered refurbished by Canon. The camera has been used in some kind of project digitalizing books. Have no idea of actuations. Generally if the camera has had a new shutter installed and looked over by Canon should I consider this basically a new camera or are there a lot of other things to go wrong based on high usage.
I could also buy a 5D for $750 but the owner claims high use and no work done on the camera.
Thanks,
Bob

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 05, 2011 22:29 |  #9120

galleybob wrote in post #11582497 (external link)
I am thinking about buying a used 5D for $1000 with extra battery. Has had the shutter replaced and the mirror fix done and is considered refurbished by Canon. The camera has been used in some kind of project digitalizing books. Have no idea of actuations. Generally if the camera has had a new shutter installed and looked over by Canon should I consider this basically a new camera or are there a lot of other things to go wrong based on high usage.
I could also buy a 5D for $750 but the owner claims high use and no work done on the camera.
Thanks,
Bob

That was a good story Bob! :)

I'll assume there was a question in there.. I would be leery of any camera used for book digitizing. It involves taking an image of every page (or two pages) of a book. Assuming it's every two pages, and you digitize say 5-6 decently sized novels, that's ~1,200 clicks.. that would be a standard day in digitizing land. Multiply that out by a few months. Even it the shutter was replaced, that's some heavy usage.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

sponsored links

1,024,948 views & 4 likes for this thread
-=5D CLASSIC admirers, assemble! (4)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.