Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 17:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lost CF Cards...

NPuter
574 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 05, 2011 17:26 |  #1

Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a story....

Around a month ago, my friend found a CF card book on the side of a street here in Miami. He had no idea what they were, so he brought them to me. There were 4 professional CF cards in the book - they were all sandisk: 3 4GB and 1 8GB UDMA. I knew that these had to be from some professional. I opened them all up in lightroom. It turns out that these were cards from a full wedding shoot! All the images were shot with a 5D Mark II and various different lenses (predominantly 16-35 and 70-200 f2.8 IS I). Even more scary: The creator, photographer, and copyright fields were all blank. I have the serial number of the camera, but can that help to find the photographer?

He offered to give me the cards, but I would feel strange using them. (And deleting some couple's wedding photos)

Does anyone else have a similar experience with finding/loosing equipment?

NPuter | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link)
5D Mark IV | 7D
16-35 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Feedback

sponsored links
vinnie6756
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 05, 2011 17:32 |  #2

One things for sure...a photographer and a couple are not very happy right now!!

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 05, 2011 17:33 |  #3

Can you identify the venue(s)? The image will have date info. Put those 2 pieces of info together.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2011 18:02 |  #4

Many wedding photographers are registered with Canon Professional Services - CPS or Canon Customer Service for warranty support. If you call Canon Customer Service at 1-877-CPS-8122 or Canon at 800-828-4040, I bet they can use the serial number of the photos to find this unlucky photographer and save the couple from a disaster.

-Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

thecackster
915 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 05, 2011 18:07 |  #5

Yea man I'd try to locate the sn and call canon... if you can hook them back up with someone there will be some very very happy people

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 05, 2011 19:18 |  #6

You could also try a couple of Craigslist ads - worth a shot. Identifying the venue is a great suggestion.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 05, 2011 19:53 |  #7

Stadium operator found one like that once and gave it to me, it was a parent though and a lot of senior prom shots and game shots. Luckily I saw a kid wearing the school hat at a pro game later that week and showed him some photos - he ID'd the kid in the photo, emailed his AD who emailed the coach who called her who called me and done. DO NOT DELETE and DO NOT USE those cards, seriously! I'd hold on to them for years to tell you the truth trying to find these people, it's called doing the right thing.

I can put an ad on Sports Shooter message board as there's a lot of wedding photographers there. But look for telling signs like the venue and they should be able to tell you who rented the place on that date.

You could even contact some TV news channels, give them one of the pics of the couple and they put it out there. Again, it's the right thing to do and they may want to be a part of that!

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 05, 2011 20:35 |  #8

OP, I bet that if you ever find out the photograher/owner of those cards, he be willing to pay you as a huge thank you. Maybe he got paid 2000$ for this wedding and now the bride wants her money back (and maybe more).

I'd definitely search the best I could to gave him the cards back to the owner. As other said, try to identify where the wedding took place. Then contact them and with the date on the exif of the pictures, they should be able to give you a phone number.

Good luck, and give us some news!

Hi, I'm David.

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 05, 2011 20:41 |  #9

IMAGE: http://www.photoinduced.com/wp-content/uploads/Pee-Wee-Pixel-Pocket-Rocket-1.jpg

I carry this with the string hanging out...just to make sure I have all my cf cards..

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

NPuter
THREAD ­ STARTER
574 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 05, 2011 20:41 |  #10

Ok, you guys have given me some renewed optimism...

I was certain that professional shots like these would have the photographers name linked to them...

I cannot recognize the venue, the event is inside some warehouse/brewery... Tomorrow, I will do my best to run through the pictures and try to find something distinguishing...
I do have the serial number of the camera, I'll call canon and see if they could help...

NPuter | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link)
5D Mark IV | 7D
16-35 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Feedback

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 05, 2011 20:47 |  #11

^^Another suggestion (that maybe not everyone would agree on) is posting a CL add in the city you found it. Maybe the photographer is looking through CL to see if someone found and posted an add about his CF cards. I might even go up to posting a picture of the couple, maybe a friend from a friend from a friend knows them and you could give you some info.

You can also have a try on Facebook. Another good solution would be Highway billboards, but they are a bit pricey :p

Hi, I'm David.

PicSniper
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 05, 2011 20:51 |  #12

OP, I was born, raised and continue to live here in Miami. If you'd like help in possibly identifying the venue, please post up a couple of the pics. If you don't want to post them here, you can PM me a link to the images and I'll take a look. I agree, it would be great if you could get those cards/images back to the photog that owns them. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes of a happy ending to this story!

Hello, my name is Victor.
My Gear List

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 05, 2011 20:55 |  #13

OP, I'm sure the the and effort will be really worth it if you ever find the photographer/couple.

Can you imagine the bride crying in your arms, because you found back her wedding pictures (which is probably the best day of her life)?

Well I can ;)

Hi, I'm David.

BLD_007
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 05, 2011 20:59 |  #14

NPuter wrote in post #11581830 (external link)
Ok, you guys have given me some renewed optimism...

I was certain that professional shots like these would have the photographers name linked to them...

I cannot recognize the venue, the event is inside some warehouse/brewery... Tomorrow, I will do my best to run through the pictures and try to find something distinguishing...
I do have the serial number of the camera, I'll call canon and see if they could help...

keep us updated!

Also, post some of the pictures on here. Someone might know the venue or even the couple.

Glass: 8-15 f/4.0L | 16-35 f/2.8LmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L mkII | 100 f/2.8L Macro | 300 f/2.8LmkII
Bodies: Canon 1d X : Canon 1d mkIV : Canon 50d

seattle1
290 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:01 |  #15

I found a CF card on the street and was able to track down the local high school student that owned it by a few pictures of his home and searching google and zillow maps. He was very happy to get his pictures back since he had student projects on it and it felt great to get it back to him.

sponsored links

23,187 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lost CF Cards...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.