Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Dec 2010 (Wednesday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time to pull the trigger on a 7D?

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 29, 2010 19:38 as a reply to  @ post 11537733 |  #16

PaulMtl wrote in post #11536511 (external link)
My son is almost 3yo and the AF in my 40D just couldn't keep up with him running around.

He might have a bright future in sports then because I have shot high school and college football/basketball with the 40D and had absolutely no problems with the AF keeping up :lol:

OP: Sounds like what you have now is doing the job just fine but you want a shiny new camera...trust me, I know the feeling, many of us here have incurable gear lust ;)
If you do talk yourself into a 7D then all I can tell you is that it's a GREAT camera for the money, and you will gain better ISO performance than what you have, not to mention the AF is a bit faster. As far as the video is concerned, keep in mind that it will take a powerful possessor to edit video from the 7D on a computer. Video editing is a totally different monster and usually requires most people to spend even more money on computer equipment and software.

Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
RLJSlick
416 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 29, 2010 19:49 |  #17

You will love it, it's well worth it, I agree with Haknslash it's the best camera I ever had, and that including the EOS 3 I had years ago!

Ricky L. Jones
Canon 7Dmk II, 5Dmk III, 7D, 50D
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

DL ­ Photo
577 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 29, 2010 20:00 as a reply to  @ 10megapixel's post |  #18

Munzzzz: I have just upgraded from the XSi to the 7D......absolutely no regrets. I love the build of the 7D....feels great in my hands. The AF is awesome (so many different options). Love the high ISO performance. I would do it....and don't look back.

Skaperen: I researched both the 60D and the 7D. The 7D is more expensive and rightly so. The build quality is superb...I did not like the flip screen on the 60D (just scares me...too flimsy). There is nothing flimsy about the 7D. The 7D AF is fantastic...for action....the only way to get better is to go 1D series. If you're going to spend that kind of money, you might as well spend a little more and get the better camera. It's built like a brick....but it's really not "that" heavy. As far as IQ goes...don't think you'll see much difference there. The wheel and joystick operation on the 7D are pretty cool. I did not like the single wheel on the 60D.

Take a plunge...7D!

G16
OMD-10 (absolutely love this little devil)

albertaskater
347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 29, 2010 20:10 as a reply to  @ DL Photo's post |  #19

I did upgrade from XT to 7D at Christmas. And I have to chime in that I'm really happy so far. I will tell you I have had an issue using the 7D with my 70-200 f/2.8L, but I had the body replaced today and I'll see if this one does the same thing (camera locks up in power-save mode). Quality of photos so far, IMO is quite remarkable and worth every penny. I'm very happy with it and don't mind the added bulk/weight. I was so sick of having photos that just weren't quite right... Well now, I'm happy! :-)

Erika
7D, 350D, 18-55 XT kit, 18-135 IS, 50 1.4, 70-200 f/2.8L non IS, 430 EX II

Skaperen
232 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 29, 2010 21:11 |  #20

Newby2Cam wrote in post #11537909 (external link)
Munzzzz: I have just upgraded from the XSi to the 7D......absolutely no regrets. I love the build of the 7D....feels great in my hands. The AF is awesome (so many different options). Love the high ISO performance. I would do it....and don't look back.

I'm sure I would not regret any upgrade. I'm just trying to find something to justify going with 7D and one new lens and a CF card, vs. 60D and two new lenses and use my existing 4 SDHC cards. I'm not a photo pro, just an avid enthusiast. I've had the XSi for a couple years and am only up to picture 3671 now (that's 5+ bricks in the old counting method :p ).

Here's one I did with the XSi and kit lens ... http://wheeling.wv.myo​hiovalley.com/vance/ (external link) (Javascript required)

Newby2Cam wrote in post #11537909 (external link)
Skaperen: I researched both the 60D and the 7D. The 7D is more expensive and rightly so. The build quality is superb...I did not like the flip screen on the 60D (just scares me...too flimsy). There is nothing flimsy about the 7D. The 7D AF is fantastic...for action....the only way to get better is to go 1D series. If you're going to spend that kind of money, you might as well spend a little more and get the better camera. It's built like a brick....but it's really not "that" heavy. As far as IQ goes...don't think you'll see much difference there. The wheel and joystick operation on the 7D are pretty cool. I did not like the single wheel on the 60D.

Take a plunge...7D!

The durability is probably the one thing that would get me up to the 7D. Not that I beat on my cameras any. 8 fps vs. 5 fps means nothing to me when I barely make it to 1 fps. My old Nikon FM-2 and FE-2 film cameras barely have any wear (though the FM-2 is a bit rough in forwarding the film). But they were well built cameras, too. But I've made the move to digital and am never going back (I never did get a real darkroom built, and there's just no point in that, now, with computers).

Oh, and could someone who likes doing such things come up with some replacements for the lousy pictures here: http://commons.wikimed​ia.org/wiki/Category:C​anon_EOS_7D (external link)

7D, 450D, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 18-55/3.5-5.6, 60/2.8 macro
Wish List: 5DsR, 16-35/2.8L,100/2.8L macro, 135/2L, LC-E6E

BloodyMess
80 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 29, 2010 22:00 |  #21

Buy it and don't look back. I smile every time I take mine out of the bag, and I don't have any of the glass I really want yet.

On the upslope of the photographic learning curve for almost twenty years.

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 30, 2010 10:19 |  #22

Daship wrote in post #11536893 (external link)
I just got mine last week from the Canon loyalty program for $1163 after tax body only. It is way better then my old XS. I used a $15 camera from ebay for my trade in. My 18-55mm lens is ok, my 50mm 1.8 is super sharp, and I plan on buying a 70-200mm f4 tonight.

Its a great camera and you will not regret it.

That sounds like it might be an even better option than a new one w/ the rebates and extra hassle. I already have leads on both my XTi and my 40D and it sounds like I may be able to get about $950 out of the pair. If I can only have to put about $200 towards a 7D, that seems worth it to me. Part of me would rather have a new 7D, but I bought my 40D used and haven't had any regrets so far, so I don't know why a refurb 7D would be bad.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

Skaperen
232 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 01, 2011 21:10 |  #23

BloodyMess wrote in post #11538618 (external link)
Buy it and don't look back. I smile every time I take mine out of the bag, and I don't have any of the glass I really want yet.

I'm really really wanting to get at least one macro lens soon. I could do that for my 450D for now and skip getting the 60D. But I also want to get some video capability, which the 60D could do for me, but the 450D doesn't have.

7D + usual accessories + macro lens + new CF cards + CF adapter = cannot afford right now. But I have been convinced that getting a 60D is only putting off a decent camera. And in a week, the $100 off goes away, so it will be a bit longer :(

TwoWheelMotion
134 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 01, 2011 21:15 |  #24

DON'T DO IT!!!!

By the time you get the camera (and learn to use it) there will be another camera coming out on the market that is BETTER, FASTER, and has MORE MEGA PIXELS!!!!!

I came from an XTi to a 7D, and I won't ever look back. it's an amazing camera. I say do it.

Gear List

Skaperen
232 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 05, 2011 19:02 as a reply to  @ TwoWheelMotion's post |  #25

7D should be here tomorrow. Some extras will have to wait until later.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:05 |  #26

Just got my 7D today. So far I'm loving it. I paired it with the 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM lens.

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 05, 2011 21:15 |  #27

Just do it! You won't be regretted. Comparing to XTi and 40D, 7D's 19-point cross type focus system, HD video, 8fps, high resolution back LCD, lens micro adjustment will make you into a new level of DSLR. Enjoy!

Nick5
Goldmember
3,083 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 05, 2011 23:01 |  #28

I like my 7D so much as I may buy a second to have as a back up and when I do not want to switch lenses back and forth.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

jmweb
520 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 06, 2011 01:25 |  #29

I'm thinking about making the jump.

So far I've read most people saying do it!

But why. Are you noticing a difference in your pictures?

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 06, 2011 09:23 |  #30

jmweb wrote in post #11583224 (external link)
I'm thinking about making the jump.

So far I've read most people saying do it!

But why. Are you noticing a difference in your pictures?

The debate about your gear resulting in better pictures is something I won't get into (there's a huge debate thread currently going on about that topic) but the 7D is certainly a great camera. Whether or not it is worth it depends on the needs of the individual making the purchase. For example, if you shoot sports then it is most likely worth the upgrade from your XTi to the 7D for the AF system alone. Beyond that there are a lot of reasons that the 7D may be considered a better camera, but not for everyone. Some people don't like the larger body, don't require the better build and weather sealing, or need off-camera flash just to name a few. I shoot a lot of sport so the 7D is great for me, I moved up from a 50D. To be honest though, I didn't absolutely have to have it, the purchase was mostly a "want" purchase. Couldn't be happier with it though.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

sponsored links

4,270 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time to pull the trigger on a 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.