Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to POTN and DSLR's

anelson
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2011 11:57 |  #1

Hello I am new here and am in the process of taking my friends Cannon Rebel XT for a test ride. I understand that this is an older camera, but I think it will service my purposes since I am brand new to these type of cameras. My experience is simply with a point and shoot, nothing more.

The primary reason Im using this camera is to take pictures of my 180 gallon reef aqaurium. I messed around with a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens a little bit last night and was able to take some decent shots of my fish, but could not get any macro shots of my corals. Im not even sure if this lens will do that.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to everyone and I look forward to learning more about this hobby.

sponsored links
sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 05, 2011 12:08 |  #2

Welcome to POTN. A circular polarizer (CP) lens filter might help with the aquarium shots to reduce glare as you shoot through glass and water.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 05, 2011 12:25 |  #3

Macro lenses work by having a very short minimum focus distance (MFD) which allows you to get really close to your subject, which gives you that nice big close-up image.

I'm not sure what sort of macro shots you are trying to get of your coral, but unless it is very close to the glass, or you have a waterproof camera that you can put in the tank to get close, you are going to struggle.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

anelson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2011 13:21 |  #4

yeah, thats what ive heard, that whatever im trying to take a picture of needs to be really close to the glass. Thanks for suggestions!

anelson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2011 15:47 |  #5

So here is what I have to test drive and might end up with it permenently. As I said before, I plan on taking a lot of pics of my Reef Tank, but will also us it for family pics, Vaca Pics, some wildlife pics. What does everyone think about this, is it a good starter kit?

•Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera
•Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens
•Tamron AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 SP AD Aspherical (IF) Lens
•Tamron AF 2X Teleconverter
•Bower SFD35C E-TTL I/II Digital Autofocus Flashgun
•Promaster 5750 DX Digital Electronic Flash
•Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect System

Of course there is a nice bag, remotes tripods, several cleaning kits, batteries, CF cards, etc.

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 05, 2011 15:55 |  #6

It depends. How much are you paying for it? If it's free, it's a great starter kit. If not, the price will pretty much be the deciding factor.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 05, 2011 16:00 |  #7

Even though the Tamron is labeled as a "macro", you won't be able to achieve true macro magnification with it. According to its specs, it has a minimum focusing distance of 1.5' throughout the focal length range and is capable of 1:3.7 magnification at 200mm

My Gear

anelson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2011 16:04 |  #8

What price would you think for something like this?

gibbit1 wrote in post #11580038 (external link)
It depends. How much are you paying for it? If it's free, it's a great starter kit. If not, the price will pretty much be the deciding factor.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 05, 2011 16:25 |  #9

anelson wrote in post #11580101 (external link)
What price would you think for something like this?

Is this the next showcase on the 'Price is Right' :lol:

Considering with a quick Google, one can buy a XT kit 'used' for 400 dollars, I just added the rest of the stuff, on to the 400.00, using used pricing and came up with 900.00 dollars.

An even Grand would comfortably cover all the parts. Am I in the ballpark?

My only concern with this package deal is the XT body. Don't get me wrong, it will take fine pictures, but I have a T2i which is 18 mega-pixel, and it came out over a year ago. Of course there is more to pictures than the mega-pixel, but unless you get an amazing deal, you would be going into this with a body that is a little on the old side.

After looking over your post again, I didn't figure in "Of course there is a nice bag, remotes tripods, several cleaning kits, batteries, CF cards, etc." I don't know how much this stuff is worth, maybe another 100-150 bucks? Just a guess.

My 2¢

David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

steelhead77
79 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2011 18:24 |  #10

anelson wrote in post #11578626 (external link)
Hello I am new here and am in the process of taking my friends Cannon Rebel XT for a test ride. I understand that this is an older camera, but I think it will service my purposes since I am brand new to these type of cameras. My experience is simply with a point and shoot, nothing more.

The primary reason Im using this camera is to take pictures of my 180 gallon reef aqaurium. I messed around with a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens a little bit last night and was able to take some decent shots of my fish, but could not get any macro shots of my corals. Im not even sure if this lens will do that.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to everyone and I look forward to learning more about this hobby.

Wow! I have 180 reef aquarium as well and just bought my first DSLR (60D) last week. I'm stepping up from an S5IS which was used extensively photographing my aquarium.

Have fun!

This was taken with my S5IS in macro mode thru an aquariscope, I've yet to get any really good shots with my 60D yet.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4458629173_1010cf6f27.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/steelhead77/4​458629173/  (external link)
IMG_7808_1 (external link) by steelhead77 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 60D, Canon18-135 USM IS, Canon 75-300 IS, Sigma 105 f2.8 Macro

anelson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2011 21:00 |  #11

Well, I would be at around $650, but I'm also getting a few other things that I would sell for around $200. So potentially $450-$500.

davidc502 wrote in post #11580226 (external link)
Is this the next showcase on the 'Price is Right' :lol:

Considering with a quick Google, one can buy a XT kit 'used' for 400 dollars, I just added the rest of the stuff, on to the 400.00, using used pricing and came up with 900.00 dollars.

An even Grand would comfortably cover all the parts. Am I in the ballpark?

My only concern with this package deal is the XT body. Don't get me wrong, it will take fine pictures, but I have a T2i which is 18 mega-pixel, and it came out over a year ago. Of course there is more to pictures than the mega-pixel, but unless you get an amazing deal, you would be going into this with a body that is a little on the old side.

After looking over your post again, I didn't figure in "Of course there is a nice bag, remotes tripods, several cleaning kits, batteries, CF cards, etc." I don't know how much this stuff is worth, maybe another 100-150 bucks? Just a guess.

My 2¢

David

anelson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2011 21:04 |  #12

Very cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for your tank shots.

steelhead77 wrote in post #11580962 (external link)
Wow! I have 180 reef aquarium as well and just bought my first DSLR (60D) last week. I'm stepping up from an S5IS which was used extensively photographing my aquarium.

Have fun!

This was taken with my S5IS in macro mode thru an aquariscope, I've yet to get any really good shots with my 60D yet.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/steelhead77/4​458629173/  (external link)
IMG_7808_1 (external link) by steelhead77 (external link), on Flickr

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 05, 2011 21:21 |  #13

Welcome to the gang! You need true macro lens (anything says 1:1 macro lens) in order to take closeup images. Enjoy the forum.

anelson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2011 22:56 |  #14

Here are a few pics I took last night. Please be nice! I didnt adjust any setting, I just shot them. I know, I have a ton to learn.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1021.photobuck​et.com …6/asnelson15/IM​G_7510.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1021.photobuck​et.com …6/asnelson15/IM​G_7509.jpg (external link)

DutchCow
41 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 06, 2011 06:55 |  #15

anelson wrote in post #11579991 (external link)
So here is what I have to test drive and might end up with it permenently. As I said before, I plan on taking a lot of pics of my Reef Tank, but will also us it for family pics, Vaca Pics, some wildlife pics. What does everyone think about this, is it a good starter kit?

•Canon Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera
•Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens
•Tamron AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 SP AD Aspherical (IF) Lens
•Tamron AF 2X Teleconverter
•Bower SFD35C E-TTL I/II Digital Autofocus Flashgun

You'll loose autofocus when you use the Teleconvertor with your XT, the AF-sensor will focus up to f/5.6. If you use the lenses you mentioned, whicht are >f/5.6 on the long end, the convertor will make them 2 stops higher, in this case f/11. No way your AF-mechanisme will work then!

(correct me if I'm wrong!)

Canon 7D | 40D + Wireless Grip | 18-55 | 17-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 55-250 | 70-200 f/4 IS | Sigma 8-16 | 2x Speedlight 430EXII | Sigma 500 DG Super |

sponsored links

2,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to POTN and DSLR's
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.