Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70L or not because of art school

NiftyFifty
362 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:22 |  #1

Hey guys, ive been photography for a while now and have really gotten into it. So much so that im willing to go to college for it and pursue a career in the field.

My art school is exclusively Nikkon, and they have something called "the cage", which has the entire line of nikkon lenses as well as multiple copies of all the nikkon bodies. If you are enrolled as a student you can check out w/e you want from the cage as well as rent out one of 3 studios.

My question is, what do I do with my 7D and current lenses. I was about to buy the 24-70L before i found out about the cage, should I keep expanding my current line of equipment etc (i have 6 months before collge will start and i dont want to sell my gear and have nothing to shoot with till then)?

TLDR; College i want to go to has all free rentable nikkon gear, what should I do?

Camera Bodies: 7D, XSi
Glass: 50mm 1.8, 17-85mm 4-5.6

sponsored links
Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:27 |  #2

Seems obvious to me, find another college.

...or not. Seems like you should sell your Canon stuff or keep it for personal use.

Gear

NiftyFifty
THREAD ­ STARTER
362 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:31 |  #3

Sp1207 wrote in post #11582128 (external link)

...or not. Seems like you should sell your Canon stuff or keep it for personal use.

the point of me asking is that i do not start for another 6 months or so. thats a lot of time to be restricting myself by the gear that i have, which i have enough money saved up to purchase more.

also, changing colleges is not much of an option if i want a good education. all the photography programs outside of the one that im looking at are below lackluster.

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 05, 2011 21:31 as a reply to  @ Sp1207's post |  #4

Nice! Which college is that?

Use the free gears and sell yours to pay off the tuition.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 05, 2011 21:34 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Sp1207 wrote in post #11582128 (external link)

Hehehehe.......:) Keep your Canon stuff for backup purposes......

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

NiftyFifty
THREAD ­ STARTER
362 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:35 |  #6

fourelements99 wrote in post #11582169 (external link)
Nice! Which college is that?

Use the free gears and sell yours to pay off the tuition.

Art Institute of North Houston

selling my gear would get me about 2-4 credit hours at this college.

and again i wouldnt be able to take picture for 6 months if i did so

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:37 |  #7

buy a d700. seams like an easy decision to me :)

NiftyFifty
THREAD ­ STARTER
362 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:41 |  #8

SaxonIV wrote in post #11582209 (external link)
buy a d700. seams like an easy decision to me :)

thats not much of an option either way...

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 05, 2011 21:48 |  #9

Two options:

1. sell your Canon and get a Nikon outfit (probably D300s+17-55). So you can use the lenses in the cage.

2. keep your Canon and go your own way. So you have the chance to compare both systems from two leading manufacturers.

NiftyFifty wrote in post #11582198 (external link)
Art Institute of North Houston

selling my gear would get me about 2-4 credit hours at this college.

and again i wouldnt be able to take picture for 6 months if i did so

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 05, 2011 21:52 as a reply to  @ fourelements99's post |  #10

My question is what's the supply of those. What if they never have N's 24-70 available for you to rent?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

NiftyFifty
THREAD ­ STARTER
362 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:52 |  #11

fourelements99 wrote in post #11582276 (external link)
Two options:

1. sell your Canon and get a Nikon outfit (probably D300s+17-55). So you can use the lenses in the cage.

2. keep your Canon and go your own way. So you have the chance to compare both systems from two leading manufacturers.

the reason i dont want to sell my canon gear is because i am not sure which i will prefer. i originally bought canon because the XSi felt better in my hands then the D3000, and now that ive got a 7D, i feel like ive invested a lot. And if i buy the 24-70 which i would get a lot of use for the next 6 months, i have a fear that i would stop using it when i have free acces to nikkon fullframe bodies and any lense i want.

NiftyFifty
THREAD ­ STARTER
362 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 05, 2011 21:54 |  #12

HyperYagami wrote in post #11582303 (external link)
My question is what's the supply of those. What if they never have N's 24-70 available for you to rent?

they have multiple copies if each lense and body in stock, my entire graduating class would most likely be less than 20 people.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 05, 2011 22:01 |  #13

NiftyFifty wrote in post #11582314 (external link)
they have multiple copies if each lense and body in stock, my entire graduating class would most likely be less than 20 people.

assume no one other than your 20 people will be using those, don't see why not just rent there stuff and pretend you don't even own any gear.

(although i still don't see how they'd have 10+ 24-70s for all of you...maybe it's really that amazing.)

5D3 and a few lens
es.

fourelements99
287 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 05, 2011 22:03 |  #14

I would recommend the option 2 in my previous post. Play both systems and decide which one is more suitable for you. Use D300s instead of D700 to compare with your 7D. It is a very good chance for you to learn how the dark side works :D

NiftyFifty wrote in post #11582305 (external link)
the reason i dont want to sell my canon gear is because i am not sure which i will prefer. i originally bought canon because the XSi felt better in my hands then the D3000, and now that ive got a 7D, i feel like ive invested a lot. And if i buy the 24-70 which i would get a lot of use for the next 6 months, i have a fear that i would stop using it when i have free acces to nikkon fullframe bodies and any lense i want.

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 05, 2011 22:04 |  #15

That answer seems obvious to me. Sell your Canon gear and switch to Nikon.

B&W film shooter gone digital.

sponsored links

3,797 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70L or not because of art school
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.