Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 05 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Clients pay in advance for print orders?

Jonrobinson
398 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Jan 05, 2011 08:25 |  #1

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post!

Do you have clients pay in advance for print orders?

Thanks!

Jonrobinson

Image editing OK.
http://www.youcallwesh​oot.com (external link)

sponsored links
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 05, 2011 08:41 |  #2

Generally yes but it depends on who they are and how much they have used us in the past. It is difficult for corporate clients to pay up front in a timely fashion. I normally just bill them. For portraits, wedding, etc. I ask for 66% up front and the balance on delivery. I have a couple that I did a wedding for last year and about every 3 months they have been coming back to me for more prints. The last one was the 4th order from them and I saw no reason to demand anything up front as they always paid promptly. On the other hand I did some work for a small construction company last year and it took me 4 months to get paid for the prints that they ordered. Someone like this now has to pay up front. In short, there is no steadfast rule with us.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Jonrobinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 05, 2011 08:43 |  #3

Thanks for taking the time to reply Sheldon!

Image editing OK.
http://www.youcallwesh​oot.com (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 05, 2011 09:04 |  #4

Like Sheldon said, it depends but generally I require payment up front, particularly for sports. In exchange for the up front fee, do I offer clients a "satisfaction guarantee" so they can be assured that the final product is what they paid for.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 05, 2011 16:25 |  #5

I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of prints I have no use for (not to mention the work in preparing the files and the cost to order), so absolutely. Unlike Sheldon, I treat everyone equally. Everyone pays up front, everyone gets the same treatment, same level of service, etc.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 06, 2011 07:14 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #6

Here is my steadfast rule: I never tolerate a reverse cash flow. With personal clients, I have a minimum package. They pay half of that prior to the session. At the sales session, we determine how much more than the minimum they want, and they will pay me half of that remainer. So if they stuck to the minimum, they will have paid me 3/4 of the total by the time I get the actual print order. Then they pay the last 1/4 when I make delivery.

With commercial clients, I might have a reverse cash flow in terms of having expended time and talent, but because I'm only delivering a CD at least I haven't drawn on my bank account. If I have any expenses for the job that do draw on my bank account, I usually arrange to invoice those ahead of delivery of the final CD.

The only fee-oriented favor I extend to repeat clients is that I might not require half the fee prior to the shooting session. For repeat clients I may only require half the total when we make the print order because, as with commercial clients, I usually haven't actually had to draw money out of my bank account yet.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 06, 2011 08:34 |  #7

Everyone agrees to a certain package before paying their deposit, so I require the whole kanoodle before opening the car's trunk to get the gear to shoot the first photo. Any extras can be purchased separately after the session, but I won't place that order until it's paid in full too. I just don't want to be bothered with tracking & chasing payments.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 06, 2011 11:04 |  #8

I require at least a good deposite towards the order. I try to get 100% but if thats not possible for the client Ill reduce it to 50%. This way they have an investment and will eventually pay the rest. Or at least thats the theory.

When I first started to offer press printed books, I didnt require a deposit, but most people paid anywase. One customer ordered one but didnt pay anything towards it and its been 3 months and im still waiting to deliver the $200 book, the cheapest one I offered.

Since then I required at least a 50% deposit on the books and I have two customers that have a $200 investment on a $400 book that seem to be avoiding my messages about making a delivery of the book. So so far that theory is just a theory.

Im going to create a contract for the larger orders and specify in it the amount that needs to be paid, and the penalty for not paying the balance within a month of being notified its ready for delivery. I would like to charge 18% divided by 12 on the remaining balance because the longer they wait to pay, the longer I have to wait to put the money towards the bills, but I dont know if thatll work. :)

Canon investor

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 06, 2011 11:17 |  #9

Im going to create a contract for the larger orders and specify in it the amount that needs to be paid, and the penalty for not paying the balance within a month of being notified its ready for delivery. I would like to charge 18% divided by 12 on the remaining balance because the longer they wait to pay, the longer I have to wait to put the money towards the bills, but I dont know if thatll work.

Be sure to check on the legality of that. In the US, only banks and the government (redundant, I know--banks are the government) are allowed to "penalize" anyone--nobody else can charge no more than actual additional processing expenses.

If it looks like you're adding interest charges to a retail item on which you're extending payments, you'll fall under your states probably heinous credit laws (something I make sure to avoid like the plague). If you'll notice, other retailers contract with banks to handle interest-bearing extended payment plans.

In my state, I can extend an extended payment plan without coming under the credit laws only if there is no interest charged and it's fewer than five payments.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 06, 2011 11:31 |  #10

Oh fun, I didnt realize that.

What methods can be used to encourage a speedy delivery?

Canon investor

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 06, 2011 12:31 |  #11

GerryDavid wrote in post #11585267 (external link)
Oh fun, I didnt realize that.

What methods can be used to encourage a speedy delivery?

mob connections? :lol:

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 06, 2011 14:25 |  #12

Do it in reverse. $1000 if paid in 1 year, $900, if paid in 11 months and so on.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 06, 2011 14:46 |  #13

Rewarding people for being responsible for their own voluntary obligations just ain't my style. Again, it's sooo much easier to just require payment in full before going forward. If I didn't retouch it I definitely didn't order it, so it's no big deal if they don't pay...and I don't have to chase payments for work I didn't do.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 06, 2011 15:56 |  #14

A lot of companies offer discounts if invoices are paid in < 30 days. For those that do not require payment up front, my earlier suggestion is a way around any legal implications one may run into by attaching penalties.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 07, 2011 07:56 |  #15

Here is my 2cents....

Weddings and other events are paid in full one week in advance of the event. Most of the excitement about images is gone after the event has taken place. I don't want to chase money. As far as private portraits go I charge a sitting fee and once the order has been place again I collect all monies before I actually send the images off for print.

As stated before never have a negative cash flow.....

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,570 views & 0 likes for this thread
Clients pay in advance for print orders?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.