Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 06 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 07:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In Water - Surf Photography

CamDiver
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 06, 2011 07:27 |  #1

OK, so for my sins I live on the island of Bali in Indonesia. In looking for a hobby to stay in shape and having always been a water person I took to surf photography but from within the water. This means I swim around with a housing, helmet and Body Boarding fins in some of the best surf waves in Indonesia if not the Planet.

I've been doing this only for about five months now so starting to get very happy in the water and being able to better read the conditions and where I should or shouldn't be in relation to particular wave sets etc.

Anyway, here's a shot that I am super happy with and one that was realized just a couple of days ago. Shot with a Canon 500D in a Liquid Eye Surf Housing. Lens is a Canon 10-22mm set at Aperture Priority f8 ISO200 so as to allow shutters of around 1/640th and above. Real early morning session hence the hues, and only because the camera was pointing to the sun do I believe that I was able to get a high enough shutter given the low ambient light at that time.

Critique very welcomed.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i379.photobucke​t.com …35/CamDiver/BWa​veShot.jpg (external link)

Cheers,
Mark.

Sumatra Macro Photography Trip, July 2016 (external link) -"A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
Canon 5DMkIII - MPE65mm - Venus 60mm f2.8 - Tamron 90mm f2.8 - Tamron 180mm - Canon 15mm f2.8 - f3.5 - MT24EX - Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 - Nikkor 50mm f1.4 - Velbon Mag Slider - Novotech - Manfrotto & Gitzo - SYRP Genie & Magic Carpet for Timelapse.

sponsored links
Tvw
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 06, 2011 09:41 |  #2

Awesome shot!

Tim
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/timv​anwoensel (external link)

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 06, 2011 10:04 |  #3

First off jealous, second nice shot, shutter was plenty fast enough.

Run it's the big bad amateur
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)
http://www.hooddesigns​.com (external link)

johnandbentley
934 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 06, 2011 10:06 |  #4

Awesome shot... very cool angle. Feels like I'm there

6D, Sigma 24mm f1.4 art, sigma 85 f1.4 art

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2011 10:43 |  #5

Super shot! I love the contrast of warm and cool tones and the way the water frames the figure. Well done!

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

cannonballgsu
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2011 12:47 |  #6

Wow, thats awesome - how do you manage to not get tossed by the waves?

danpayneuk
292 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 06, 2011 12:52 |  #7

really nice angle. not seen anything like it before. hope to see more

FluidVisions Photography (external link)

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2011 13:39 |  #8

Sick photo! Love it :)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

CamDiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 06, 2011 17:19 |  #9

Hey thanks for all the very nice comments, much appreciated.

@cannonballgsu - Urrrmmm, I do get tossed by the waves, sometimes very big waves, hence the helmet and breath hold training. Large waves, 6ft plus, if thick enough can really hurt, their force when they break is also enough to pull you under, it's called the 'hold down'. You just have to wait for the wave to finish with you before heading up. Sometimes that feels like an eternity....but its also a beautiful thing.....

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i379.photobucke​t.com …235/CamDiver/IM​G_8766.jpg (external link)

Cheers,
Mark.
PS Look closely, can you see the guardian angel?

Sumatra Macro Photography Trip, July 2016 (external link) -"A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
Canon 5DMkIII - MPE65mm - Venus 60mm f2.8 - Tamron 90mm f2.8 - Tamron 180mm - Canon 15mm f2.8 - f3.5 - MT24EX - Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 - Nikkor 50mm f1.4 - Velbon Mag Slider - Novotech - Manfrotto & Gitzo - SYRP Genie & Magic Carpet for Timelapse.

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 06, 2011 17:22 |  #10

That shot is just as cool. Waves in South Florida are lucky to break 6 inches. haha well until a Hurricane hits and the ocean is the last place you want to be even though that is when most of the surfers surface.

Run it's the big bad amateur
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)
http://www.hooddesigns​.com (external link)

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 07, 2011 10:18 |  #11

I love where you live. Very nice shots! And I see the angel!

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

effstop
810 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 07, 2011 21:55 |  #12

Nice...great shot! The water looks super warm versus 55 degree San Diego water.

CamDiver wrote in post #11584051 (external link)
OK, so for my sins I live on the island of Bali in Indonesia. In looking for a hobby to stay in shape and having always been a water person I took to surf photography but from within the water. This means I swim around with a housing, helmet and Body Boarding fins in some of the best surf waves in Indonesia if not the Planet.

I've been doing this only for about five months now so starting to get very happy in the water and being able to better read the conditions and where I should or shouldn't be in relation to particular wave sets etc.

Anyway, here's a shot that I am super happy with and one that was realized just a couple of days ago. Shot with a Canon 500D in a Liquid Eye Surf Housing. Lens is a Canon 10-22mm set at Aperture Priority f8 ISO200 so as to allow shutters of around 1/640th and above. Real early morning session hence the hues, and only because the camera was pointing to the sun do I believe that I was able to get a high enough shutter given the low ambient light at that time.

Critique very welcomed.

QUOTED IMAGE

Cheers,
Mark.

5D MKI | 1D MKII | 24-70mm 2.8 L | 80-200MM 2.8 L | 400mm 5.6 L |50mm 1.8

CamDiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 08, 2011 06:11 |  #13

Yep, just a tad warmer, around 78 degrees. Sometimes I'll spend around three to four hours in the water so nice to have comfortable temperatures.

sponsored links

3,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
In Water - Surf Photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.