Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 07 Jan 2011 (Friday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next

The Passion of the Art – Mastering Light Instructional DVD CANCELLED

Jason ­ Cole
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 07, 2011 21:27 |  #1

I have posted this post here, as this is the forum I always add photos too and contribute too, its also the forum that shaped DVD1. Moderators, please consider this before moving this post. This post is written especially for the users in this particular forum.

We are a small photography business, 2 full time staff, 4 part time staff, and a modest office. I have always prided myself on providing a quality service at a really good price. When someone needs help I am always the first to answer them and try and help then with their photography related problems.

It was with this in mind that I created “The Passion of the Art – Shooting Glamour” instructional DVD. There was approx. 70K worth of expenses and six months work creating this ground breaking DVD. It sold for under $100, a VERY reasonable amount for the vast knowledge contained in it. To date we have barely broken even, and have made little money on this project. The small amount of money that we have earned was being channeled back into volume 2, “The Passion of the Art – Mastering Light”.

This morning it was brought to my attention that someone (user nk2join) that has acquired our DVD has uploaded it to Bittorent (a free download site). Since August last year, sales have plummeted, and we could not work out why. Now we have the answer, the DVD has been downloaded thousands of times from these sites, with not a cent coming back to the author Cole Studios. This money would have gone (and was planned to) go into Volume 2. Filming was set to start 30th January this year. The crew was booked, models booked, locations, everything, all booked and ready to go. I personally have already done a mountain of work towards getting this second DVD off the ground as the first one was so popular. To date I have spent around 8K on the new project.

So to see our DVD given away free all over the net has crushed me and broken my heart. How dare that person give away our hard earned work for free, when the DVD is already priced extremely reasonably and was by all accounts, a very successful DVD. How dare them deny all of you Volume 2! So many people emailed us and told us how great the DVD was and they can’t wait for DVD2. Due to the falling dollar at the time and some bad choices in advertising, DVD1 made little money. The mistakes we learned on DVD1 were going to be corrected on DVD2.

So next time you see one of those adverts at the start of a hired DVD whining about how movie piracy costs millions, please think of THIS DVD now. You enjoyed DVD1, but because of this piracy and the funds that did not come in, DVD2 will now never happen and has become economically non viable now. Such a shame as I had the most awesome DVD planned for DVD2.

Sincerely,
Jason Cole
Nominated 2010 Beauty and Glamour Photographer of the year SWPP
(judging 15th January).

One of the links is here:
LINK REMOVED

This is THE reason why DVD2 has now been cancelled. The author / pirate is nk2join. If you know him/her, make sure you thank him for stuffing it up for everyone else.

Cheers, Jason Cole
nfo@colestudios.com.au (external link)
Canon EOS 1DS MK III, L Series lenses, Broncolour Studio

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 07, 2011 22:36 |  #2

I'm so sorry, Jason. Your work has always been excellent. The usual phrase "one person ruins it for everyone" just seems so small for something like this.

Gary
"I'm not much of an artist, but I like to document certain things that I see."
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 07, 2011 22:38 |  #3

I know, the person or groups name is NK2JOIN..... wrecked it for everyone....

Cheers, Jason Cole

cr44
675 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 07, 2011 22:46 |  #4

You are an amazing talent and I'm sorry someone ruined it for you. Makes no sense.

Craig
Canon 5D, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L, 15mm fisheye, 20mm, 28mm, Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm, Nifty Fifty, Speedlite 430ex & 580ex2, 85mm f1.8, CyberSyncs ReelWorksProductions.c​om (external link)

bmynbr
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 07, 2011 23:02 |  #5

Sorry to hear Jason, was really looking forward to the second DVD, as I learned a tonne in the first.

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

http://www.treklens.co​m/members/BMYNBR/photo​s/ (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 07, 2011 23:56 |  #6

Damn that sucks!

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Semmonka
Goldmember
2,073 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 08, 2011 01:26 |  #7

Man that sucks big time!
I was really wating to see DVD2 as DVD1 was really good. I remember when I watched it few times before doing my first bikini shoot.
Unfortenately in digital world anything can be copied and shared on the net.
Big thanks to that guy who fu*ked up Jasons hard work

Vesa
"Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one"
Flick (external link)r (external link) | MM (external link)

DoOb's
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 08, 2011 01:33 |  #8

Jason, Gonna have to find some sort of hard encryption app when making dvd 2....only way to stop fools from ripping them.
But sadly...what has been created (encryption) has already been hack'd.

I hope dvd2 become a huge success...Sadly being in South Africa, its quite expensive to import stuff with import tax and customs.

Nikon D850, Gripped | Nikon 24-70 F2.8 | Sigma ART 50mm F1.4 | Nikon 14-24 F2.8 | Nikon 85mm F1.4
www.dbphotography.co.z​a (external link) | www.instagram.com/_byr​onduBois (external link)

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 08, 2011 03:09 |  #9

You know what, after speaking to the entire creative team and discussing the various options, we have all decided that Bit Torrent is a smaller issue that I first thought. If time warner can spend 600 million on a movie and still make money, I can still make money too.

So in light of this , DVD2 will proceed, we will just be a lot more careful in our marketing and sales strategies to get maximum sales before it ends up on the net for free.

A big thankyou to everyone for your kind words and support.

Cheers, Jason Cole

teaco
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 08, 2011 03:19 |  #10

Go ahead with DVD2 jason. People will still buy. You have learned from the 1st and the 2nd will be better and make you money. Think positive and don't let these idiots stop you from doing what you love!

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2011 05:23 |  #11

Jason Cole wrote in post #11597032 (external link)
So in light of this , DVD2 will proceed, we will just be a lot more careful in our marketing and sales strategies to get maximum sales before it ends up on the net for free.

That is great news! I have been researching DVD resources and yours keeps coming to the top of my list.

Just a side note - I hope that you are (hopefully already have) taking action to get your property taken down from all unauthorized distribution sites. I know that damage has already been done, but that is important just for the principle of the matter.

I'm looking forward to your work!

Kevin

Christides
56 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 08, 2011 05:45 as a reply to  @ kfyount's post |  #12

hold workshops and have it available to purchase at said workshops

Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)
Canon 1D2, 5D, Canon 24-70, Sigma 70-200 + bits

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 08, 2011 10:04 |  #13

Christides wrote in post #11597342 (external link)
hold workshops and have it available to purchase at said workshops

The only problem with that is that premise limits the potential sales overall- as not everyone that might buy the dvd otherwise will not have access to it. Even then, that does not limit the chance that someone attending won't upload a copy.

Those who pirate are not likely to buy it in the first place.
Sometimes, and I am not saying this is the case in this instance, some actually put these things out there because they believe that they paid too much for what they got, so they upload it... Some upload because they believe that all of it should be free.. Probably thousands of "reasons" out there for why people do it.. Not saying that is right..

I feel sorry for his loss, but reality is that those who pirated it weren't going to pay for it in the first place...

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 09, 2011 16:23 |  #14

Thanks for all your kind words. We are in the process of getting these illegal copies removed but so far we have not had much luck, but im not giving up on it.

With the courses, we already do course, colestudiostraining.co​m and we do sell the dvd's there BUT the DVD market is greatly limited. When we sell online we sell globally, where as when we sell at our courses we only sell locally. Its a catch 22 situation.

Cheers, Jason Cole

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 09, 2011 16:34 |  #15

It is sad to hear all your efforts go out the door. It is theft, pure and simple and if there is one thing I hate it is thieves. I believe they deserve everything they get when they are caught. I hope you have better success for your efforts with DVD2 because all honest effort should be rewarded.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

11,652 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Passion of the Art – Mastering Light Instructional DVD CANCELLED
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.