Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ISO AUTO: what do you think?

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2011 08:28 as a reply to  @ post 11603425 |  #16

Nice shots. If exif were attached maybe I'd be more of a believer

sponsored links
tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2011 09:22 |  #17

tmwag wrote in post #11603482 (external link)
Nice shots. If exif were attached maybe I'd be more of a believer

Just to make a believer out of you, I made the shots public on my Flickr page. You should be able to view the EXIF data now.

http://www.flickr.com …57532165/with/5​338619645/ (external link)

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2011 15:43 |  #18

tgara wrote in post #11603697 (external link)
Just to make a believer out of you

Thanks for going to the trouble. You are truly a gifted photographer. I still will not make it a regular practice of using ISO 1600 Or 3200 with a camera that has a tiny sensor.

dmstraton
557 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 09, 2011 16:30 |  #19

I have/had the 5D MkII, 7D, 40D, G11, S90.

I can honestly say I've turned on this feature about 3 times in three years - for me, I don't find it relevant or useful.

dmstraton
5DmkII, Zeiss 21 f2.8, Zeiss 35 f2, Zeiss 50 f2 Makro-Planar, 580EXII, Voigtlander Bessa R2M, Voigtlander 35 f1.4 Nokton

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2011 18:45 |  #20

tmwag wrote in post #11605582 (external link)
Thanks for going to the trouble. You are truly a gifted photographer. I still will not make it a regular practice of using ISO 1600 Or 3200 with a camera that has a tiny sensor.

That's probably a good idea. It takes a while for a novice to learn the behavior of the exposure systems on the advanced P&S cameras.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2011 18:57 as a reply to  @ tgara's post |  #21

...and someone with an inflated ego such as your's:) will never learn

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2011 19:05 |  #22

10megapixel wrote in post #11606846 (external link)
The stench of sarcasm is stinkin' up this thread ;)

You gravitate to these levels over and over. Not surprising, you're a proven heckler. You even provided evidence of that earlier....go away

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2011 19:22 as a reply to  @ post 11606944 |  #23

I didn't ask your opinion and I certainly/personally don't care for it. I'm saying to suggest using ISO 1600 or 3200 is bad advice for about 95% of the time. If the individual I'm speaking to cares to speak, I'll address him. Mind your own business, but of course you can't or find it difficult to do that

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 09, 2011 19:46 |  #24

windpig wrote in post #11601354 (external link)
I never use it, but would, if I could control how it operated.

Canon's implementations of auto-ISO are pretty poor; they are getting slightly better with new cameras, but really, auto-ISO is a very simple thing, that should have been in digitals ten years ago.

It's very simple; let the user decide if they want to try to keep the ISO low or try to get fast shutter speeds. A simple slider could be implemented in this simple mode. For more advanced users, they could select the limits: min and max ISO, desired aperture and shutter speed ranges, and elect to allow the camera to use a faster shutter speed to avoid blowing out images at base ISO with too slow a shutter speed.

For auto-ISO in manual mode, nothing could be simpler. In the same way that the camera floats Av in Tv-pri and visa-versa, the camera simply picks the ISO that gives the standard exposure, include EC for white, foggy days, and black cats on coal piles.

Auto-ISO in manual mode, IMO, is the best way to do a lot of photography. I use it as much as I can, even though it is poorly implemented by Canon. If I need to use fill flash, for example, I have to go to manual ISO, because braindead Canon cameras fix at 400 when flash is enabled (with the 5D2, you can't even have auto-ISO in manual mode, it goes to 400, even without flash).

One begins to wonder if there is anyone at Canon who is both intelligent, and a photographer.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 09, 2011 20:01 |  #25

tmwag wrote in post #11601374 (external link)
I disagree, although Canon's latest "high sensitivity" sensor is a big improvement ..suggesting ISO 1600 or even worse 3200..is acceptable..I don't think so

Is every image a poster, sharpened heavily at the pixel level?

You can barely see the noise at ISO 1600 from modern P&S cameras in wisely-processed web-size images. Don't use downsizing methods that drop pixels, like nearest neighbor. *NEVER, EVER* sharpen an image that is going to be downsized - sharpen it at the final size. Don't sharpen what you don't need to; get it sharp on the sensor.

Not every sensor is intended for the same size output.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 09, 2011 20:14 |  #26

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #11602313 (external link)
On both my G9 and G11, I prefer to control the ISO myself. I really don't like the camera picking 400 when I want 80. I have a picky eye for detail and I would rather tripod my camera or brace against something than crank up the ISO.

On a G9 or G11, if you shoot RAW, you can just set the camera to 80 and shoot at any Tv and Av value you wish, as long as you don't blow out the ISO 80 RAW. The ISO setting is totally irrelevant to noise, with a manual exposure. The ISO amp in the G9, G11, many CCD DSLRs and medium format backs, is nothing but analog multiplication; it is not real gain because there is nothing to gain upon - the noise and quantization after gain is irrelevant, and doesn't need to be "gained" upon.

If you have all the exposure time in the world, then, by all means shoot at ISO 80, manually. AUTO ISO is something to be used when it is useful. It is not a kiss-goodbye to other exposure methods!

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 09, 2011 20:25 |  #27

10megapixel wrote in post #11606846 (external link)
I definitely think Canon has done better with ISO on the G series since the G10 (It was terrible after ISO 400)

Sony makes the sensors in Canon P&S cameras.

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2011 21:31 |  #28

John Sheehy wrote in post #11607241 (external link)
Is every image a poster, sharpened heavily at the pixel level?

You can barely see the noise at ISO 1600 from modern P&S cameras in wisely-processed web-size images. Don't use downsizing methods that drop pixels, like nearest neighbor. *NEVER, EVER* sharpen an image that is going to be downsized - sharpen it at the final size

Thanks John, My sharpening workflow is.. capture sharpening, creative and then output after resizing. I shoot RAW 100%...I'm sorry but I can see noise at 1600.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,250 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 09, 2011 21:51 |  #29

John Sheehy wrote in post #11607138 (external link)
Canon's implementations of auto-ISO are pretty poor; they are getting slightly better with new cameras, but really, auto-ISO is a very simple thing, that should have been in digitals ten years ago.

It's very simple; let the user decide if they want to try to keep the ISO low or try to get fast shutter speeds. A simple slider could be implemented in this simple mode. For more advanced users, they could select the limits: min and max ISO, desired aperture and shutter speed ranges, and elect to allow the camera to use a faster shutter speed to avoid blowing out images at base ISO with too slow a shutter speed.

For auto-ISO in manual mode, nothing could be simpler. In the same way that the camera floats Av in Tv-pri and visa-versa, the camera simply picks the ISO that gives the standard exposure, include EC for white, foggy days, and black cats on coal piles.

Auto-ISO in manual mode, IMO, is the best way to do a lot of photography. I use it as much as I can, even though it is poorly implemented by Canon. If I need to use fill flash, for example, I have to go to manual ISO, because braindead Canon cameras fix at 400 when flash is enabled (with the 5D2, you can't even have auto-ISO in manual mode, it goes to 400, even without flash).

One begins to wonder if there is anyone at Canon who is both intelligent, and a photographer.

You nailed it.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2011 06:01 |  #30

John Sheehy wrote in post #11607138 (external link)

That is exactly what I have on the D700... I do prefer Auto ISO over Tv or Av mode because I find iso 200-1600 to be almost identical (not really, but easily corrected), ISO 3200 and 6400 can still be cleaned in LR.

so I have my Auto iso set up from iso 200-6400... so the camera changes ISO between those figures. I usually use it if I shoot candids or fast action. otherwise if I shoot landscape I use all manual :D

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

sponsored links

5,486 views & 0 likes for this thread
ISO AUTO: what do you think?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.