Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 01:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sell Classic Gear on POTN???

pixelpacker
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2011 01:07 |  #1

I've decided to sell all my classic gear and use the proceeds for EOS lenses and accessories. I have vast amounts of Canon FD gear from the 1970's and 1980s, and some other really rare and valuable stuff. I've had mixed results selling on eBay because, percentage wise, you will mostly see people expecting garage sale junk, and I would like to find another way to sell photography gear to people who expect one-owner quality photographic gear, i.e. a more serious and knowledgeable audience. No more canceling transactions from nice people who bid expecting to chuck up an FD 135mm f/2.5 onto his shiny new EOS 60D, for example (and then finding that they don't understand that they must agree to cancel the transaction on their end, tying up my lens for three weeks until eBay times out their response).

But, I don't see classic gear for sale on this forum. Before I look elsewhere, though, I thought that I would ask. I have a complete F-1 system including accessory finders and many upscale lenses and lot of hard-to-find accessories, most of which is in mint condition, plus some other stuff like a pair of A-1 bodies with a motor and a winder, some classic gear, etc. Is this forum a good place to spend my time putting up for-sale posts?

EOS D5M2, T90, A-1, F-1, Pellix QL, Canonet QL 17 III, VI-T...

sponsored links
FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 08, 2011 10:26 |  #2

your rare and valuable stuff, isn't worth much at all these days i'm afraid, you might try e-bay but you are going to be very disappointed when you find out what it's worth ;)

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jan 08, 2011 10:55 |  #3

I too have a complete F-1 system....good luck finding a buyer.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 08, 2011 11:05 |  #4

Only way to find out is to post it up and see what happens, wont cost you anything but time. There are a few shooters on here using older lenses with adapters for macro shots and such. But like already mentioned most of it isnt worth a whole lot and you might be surprised at how little you get out of it.

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 08, 2011 12:32 |  #5

http://forum.mflenses.​com/ (external link)
Here's a forum for people who are using manual focus lens on digital cameras and are also still using film cameras as well. Good luck

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

pixelpacker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 09, 2011 11:36 |  #6

I've found that most eBay bidders for Canon FD gear fall into one of three categories, in order of numbers of people out there:

1. New-to-Canon people that have yet to find that FD lenses won't mount on an EOS camera.
  2. Those who want inexpensive high-powered photography and accept film cameras as a means to this end.
  3. Collectors.
I find out who is in Category 1 before I ship and cancel the transaction. People in Category 2 don't buy expensive items. Most collectors have seen so much garage-sale junk out there they they won't believe that you have good, serviceable gear in excellent condition, and in any case they won't bid anywhere near what KEH and other collectibles sites say your gear is worth. If you put things together, like a camera and a motor or a lens and a case, they want the motor or the case free. I have had bids of $99 for a really clean FD 200mm f/2.8, and one serious collector (possibly an oxymoron?) wanted the pristine case (even the Styrofoam in the lid like new!) free.

It takes a lot of time and work to put something up on eBay properly, with good photos and a short and informative blurb. The bodies I have decided need to have a video because I have had repeated questions like "Does it work?" and "Do the shutter bearings screech?" and such, adding a whole new dimension of time spent making the video and then computer work in getting it up and linked to the posting. I'm trying to get ten cents to 25 cents on the dollar but eBay seems to be really a way to work really hard to give things away.

I had a pristine Canon Booster for FT and Pellix, with big black shiny leather Canon case like the ones that Canon uses for the accessory pentaprisms for the F1 listed for $50, with two sets of batteries, a total of four Wein cells for the light meter and two 625 cells (1.5 Volt alkaline replacements for PX13) for the grain-of-wheat light. I figure the booster is worth $25, the case $20, and I know the batteries cost $20, so I listed it for $50 OBO - with no bites. I cut the price to $25 OBO and took a bid for $22, then took a hit of a few dollars for premium packing and shipping because it is a big sensitive light meter with a big floppy microammeter needle and I wanted it to work when it got there. The buyer griped because the box was too big. I would bet he threw the batteries away and didn't give the free case a second thought.

The consensus here seems to be that it isn't worth the trouble to try to sell old film camera gear. I'm coming around to the same conclusion myself for the most part but I do want to find this gear a new home as best I can. I'll look at the MFLenses forum and see what works there, and I will continue with a few items at a time on eBay, but I've given up the idea of working the listings half-time like I did for a couple of months. What I have time for, OK. But, MFLenses may be a better place than eBay for some things I have, like an 7.5 mm circular fish-eye, or an FL 85-300mm f/5. EBay may be good for some things like a FD 35mm f/2 and such.

But, what about my two A-1 bodies with motor and winder? What about my Canon F-1 with Motor Drive MD and 250 Back, Servo EE Finder and Booster Finder?

I also have a black Canon VI-T with black 50mm f/1.2 lens and black parallax-correcting viewfinder/light meter with viewing frames for three focal lengths, in like-new condition, and I just put it through a very carefully selected repair service for refurbishment of the light seals and internal cleaning and lubrication, checking the shutter speeds, etc. This magnificent 1968 camera with titanium focal plane shutter could be worth over $4K; KEH has a beater black Canon IV with silver f/1.8 lens and no finder or light meter for $3200. I think that this camera will have its own web site soon, and it won't be an eBay page. I'm putting a couple of rolls of film through it for demo shots. I have an EF 100mm f/2.8 IS macro with twin-lite that can take some devastating photos of it, and a T-90 that, with my FD 17mm f/4, can take some spectacular perspectives of it that will rival what Canon did when they advertised it internationally in 1968. I wonder what that 50mm f/1.2 would look like from the FD 7.5mm circular fisheye right in front of its magnificent front element?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 09, 2011 15:12 |  #7

If you just want to unload them, send them to KEH. Your time is worth money, I suspect? How much are you wanting for your FD 35mm f/2? Do you have any Canon 24mm FD lenses?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Mothafizzy
288 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 09, 2011 19:06 |  #8

I honestly might be interested in some of it. Granted, I don't have the money for the vi-t or anything, but like the A1's i might be interested in. I haven't been shooting digital at all anymore; just have one to occasionally preview my lighting on flashes. Basically just shoot medium format and have been wanting to shoot 35mm some just for the film experience without having to carry a 10lb camera around for it. But if you could either PM or post a ballpark on some items (like an A1, couple lenses), I'll get back to you on it. Sounds like you have a very nice setup of gear.

Flickr (external link)

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,853 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 09, 2011 20:35 as a reply to  @ E James P's post |  #9

E James P wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.​com/ (external link)
Here's a forum for people who are using manual focus lens on digital cameras and are also still using film cameras as well. Good luck

Just what I would suggest. There's a new and improved Marketplace section there, and the forum has many members who are still using, obtaining, collecting and loving film gear. Many of the active members are also very good photographers, regardless if using digital or film. Be prepared to ship worldwide, but you'll most likely get fair offers/prices above what ebay commonly produces, if the gear is in good condition.

CraigEOS 50D|S3iS|AF Σ10-20|AF Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF Tamron SP 28-80|MF Tamron SP 60-300|MF Soligor 75-260|MF Soligor 400|MF Soligor C/D 500|MF Zuiko 50 f/1.8|and others
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

pixelpacker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 10, 2011 11:49 |  #10

I've spent a little time over on MFLenses and yes, indeed, they are a large and serious community. I see very little FD stuff for sale on the new Marketplace. I'll be a regular.

I have both A-1's up on eBay but I've been thinking about taking them down because they aren't getting any bids. Lots of views and some people are tracking it but no bids. I refurbished both bodies because a collector that met me to look at one panned it so badly that I felt that I needed to have a good answer to this kind of thing online. All new light and dust seals, rubber, and styrofoam, operation checked out, etc. to put them both in like-new condition. One has a Motor Drive MA, the other a Case A and Winder A. I'll take them down and probably all the rest too. After I have them off of eBay for a day or two I'll get back with Mothafizzy and whoever else asks about them.

At this point I have a bit of a dilemma about much of the rest. Because the T-90 has been my main ax for film for a few years now, the A-1s and the F-1 are gathering dust and I don't need them. But, if I keep the T-90, I may want to keep the remaining lenses, too, although I have only a few that do anything I can't do with my EOS 5D Mark II. Thus I may want to keep my 24mm f/2.8 and I need to think that over. My wish list for the EOS is short because you can do so much more with it than with a film camera. If I sell the VI-T I can buy the whole list. That would remove any need for any of the film gear because there would be nothing left that I couldn't do with my EOS.

In the end, I think I will sell the VI-T and get the last few EOS items and everything FD will be for sale.

sponsored links

1,298 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sell Classic Gear on POTN???
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.