Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 09 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 19:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Day 1 failure, Day 2 much better :)

norbi
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 09, 2011 19:23 |  #1

Day 1:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=983031

Day 2:
I'm really happy about my second day results. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about it. This is my second day of using a DSLR camera and well photography in general. I think I did a lot better as opposed to day 1. A camera mount helps a lot :). I had to drive out of the city a bit, but as you can see, there is still a lot of light pollution. Maybe day 3 will be better :)

Anyways here are some shots, straight from the camera. I still have to figure out the software side of things to get the most out of these. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks for reading this.

PS: It is really cold here in Toronto. I was outside for roughly 30mins before getting back into the warm car. As soon as I got in the car, the lens along with the back panel lcd display fogged up. I'm concerned about condensation within the lens unit. Is this something to be concerned over? Is this normal? Should I try to avoud this? If so how? Thank you!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
norbi
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 09, 2011 20:26 |  #2

I played around with the second picture in GIMP for a bit. Really have no idea what i'm doing, but trying stuff out anyways :)

HOSTED PHOTO

Pennington
280 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 09, 2011 21:27 |  #3

The photos look great - especially the last one. Nighttime astro work is really challenging - I play with it from time to time, but don't really have the patience to excel at it, sadly (nor can I really get away from the city lights enough to find good, clear skys.)

You asked about condensation - BE WORRIED. Condensation is definitely not a good thing for cameras/lenses, and can cause major issues, including the sort that require repair/replacement.

The best advice I've ever seen is to take a big ziplock bag out with you and then, when you're done, put the camera & lens into the bag while still outside. Puff the bag up and keep as much air in it as possible when you seal it, and only then go indoors. This way any condensation will form on the outside of the bag, not on the camera. As the air & camera inside the bag slowly warm up to room temp, they're protected. After a couple of hours the temperature will have equalized and it's safe to take them out.

Of course, that's the more radical version. Honestly, I usually just leave my camera & lenses zipped up in my photo backpack when I come in. The bag has some weather sealing, so it takes a while for the insides to warm up, just like the ziplock. I've never found any condensation this way (although it does take longer). But whenever in doubt, use the ziplock trick.

Good luck!

norbi
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 09, 2011 21:46 as a reply to  @ Pennington's post |  #4

Thank you for the advice Pennington. I'll keep that in mind the next time i'm out. BTW, amazing portfolio you have on your website!

Pennington
280 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 10, 2011 17:15 |  #5

Thank you kindly! Best of luck to you next time - be sure to share the results!

norbi wrote in post #11607980 (external link)
Thank you for the advice Pennington. I'll keep that in mind the next time i'm out. BTW, amazing portfolio you have on your website!

dexy101
Goldmember
2,359 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 11, 2011 11:59 |  #6

Your starting to get results. Its all about practice i guess, im the same as you and have just purchased the same camera. Ill be out tonight and ill see what i can get.

norbi
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 11, 2011 12:46 as a reply to  @ dexy101's post |  #7

dexy101: That's great, let us know how it works out :)

sponsored links

1,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
Day 1 failure, Day 2 much better :)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.