Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Jan 2011 (Monday) 07:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS performance question...

m.d.harper
275 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2011 07:41 |  #1

Can any tell me if this lens would be capable of getting good quality photos in a low litght theatre type setting? Like in a play or dance recital or concert...no flash permitted. This is for my daughters dance recital. Can anyone show me examples please and thank you.

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 10, 2011 07:51 |  #2

What camera are you using? I use a 5D2 with the 70-200 2.8 IS I and that combo gets me through many dark situations at concerts where no flash is allowed.

IMAGE: http://sbphoto1.smugmug.com/Other/You-Tube-Symphony-Orchestra-4/IMG2957Joshua-Roman-1/514417954_6SjHo-XL.jpg

Took this at the YouTube Orchestra performance at Carnegie Hall in 2009. No flash, handheld.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2011 07:58 |  #3

m.d.harper wrote in post #11609825 (external link)
Can any tell me if this lens would be capable of getting good quality photos in a low litght theatre type setting? Like in a play or dance recital or concert...no flash permitted. This is for my daughters dance recital. Can anyone show me examples please and thank you.

It really depends on how dark the setting is, but I think in most circumstances f/2.8 will work. What camera are you working with, and what do you feel like your "usable" ISO limit is? These are important factors on if you'll have enough light.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 10, 2011 08:10 |  #4

Seems to me that if your subject isn't moving (like sports shots would be), and if you have IS like the 70-200 2.8 IS does have, then you can get away with using slower shutter speeds. In that case the 2.8 should be sufficient to get the shot. Dancers on stage would make it more like sports as far as movement is concerned.
As realmike15 said, how dark it is really plays into it.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

m.d.harper
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2011 09:38 |  #5

I will be using a 7D. The auditorium will be completely dark for the most part and the stage will be lit but not super bright...thank you to all that have replied so far.

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2011 09:47 |  #6

m.d.harper wrote in post #11610317 (external link)
I will be using a 7D. The auditorium will be completely dark for the most part and the stage will be lit but not super bright...thank you to all that have replied so far.

The 7D has very good ISO performance, but without being there I don't know if anyone can tell you for sure whether f/2.8 will be enough. The stage being lit adequately would certainly help, but you'll need a decent shutter if you want to stop action (something the IS will not help you with).

I would rent one or buy one and see for yourself. You can always return it for something else if things don't work out. A zoom seems ideal, since I doubt you'll be able to move around much... so I would start there.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

sponsored links

1,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS performance question...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.