Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Nov 2010 (Saturday) 17:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

War Correspondent/ Photojournalist= HOW?

Ezekiel97
608 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 07, 2010 20:27 |  #16

I cant take pictures of:
Anything inside our cutter
Training
Law enforcement operations
People

Not too many pictures I can get. Obviously if I would get deployed to Bahrain(where the CG serves in Iraq) or Afghanistan with the Army on a Raid team than I would be able to get more pics. I don't know the policies for the other services later. When there is a chance to take pictures, our CO lets me know so I can whip my camera out. I'm waiting for us to get a SAR case because pictures are allowed.

Ryan-5D Markii

sponsored links
racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,038 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 08, 2010 16:19 |  #17

you could document chavs in Leighton Buzzard but be prepared to get a good kicking!

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 09, 2011 19:26 |  #18

DC Fan wrote in post #11241935 (external link)
Consider that the path you want to take carries some very real, life-threatening risks. (external link)

Wow. Silva is one of my heroes. :cry:

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2011 11:21 |  #19

Thought I'd throw in an update on current progress.

I have been in contact with various airlines and found reasonably cheap plane tickets 600 USD back and forth to bagdhad with a weeks stay.

Right now I am trying to find a hotel or perhaps a B&B to spend my time. My only concerns are regarding the money and whether or not I should spend it on a camera and postpone the trip to after the summer or do it in february/march with only one camera aswell as a couple of film cameras.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 10, 2011 12:15 |  #20

If you want to shoot war, why don't you become a wedding photographer?

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sk82712
224 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 10, 2011 12:24 |  #21

Ezekiel97 wrote in post #11243152 (external link)
I don't know if you were/are military, usually there is a unit policy defining what/where/when you can take pictures, and at least in the CG, the CG "owns" your pictures, and you cannot sell or anything else with the image.

Agreed.

OP: Even though you are a Sweedish Citizen, you are still able to join the US (and possibly British) military, as far as I know.

I'm doing pretty much exactly what Ezekiel97 suggested. Apart from my day job as a bomb technician (EOD), I'm my unit's Public Affairs Officer and work closely with battalion and brigades PAOs; mainly because they are incompetent...but that's another story.

I' got lucky enough to be stationed in Germany, and have been to 21 different countries in and out of Europe. If your even remotely considering a foreign military to gain the experience as a photographer, let me know.

-Adam

1D Mk iii, 5D Mk ii, and lots of l.
instagram.com/heller.p​hoto (external link)

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 10, 2011 13:00 |  #22

http://m.seacoastonlin​e.com …101209901&templ​ate=wapart (external link)

http://www.a1tourism.c​om/iraq/baghdad.html (external link)

Take the advice from the above posters.

If you are going at this in order to leapfrog a photography carrier, the way things are now, you may only leapfrog your lifespan.

On your own, no communication like you are use to now. No One, repeat No One, to watch your back whilst you sleep.
-------

Who you look for? Oh

We never see him. You say he stayed at our hotel?

Sounds crazy, I know.
- who's your daily contact, who's your guide- to keep you from unknowingly pissing someone off?
-OR- taking photograph of something you shouldn't, or they think you shouldn't.
( if a wolf/pack rises, can you outrun them ¿ for how long and where too )
What will you do from day to day and who will know, If you don't meet your itinerary?
How do you plan to contact your known world if you need too.
WHAT IS IN PLAY AS YOUR EMERGENCY LIFELINE

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 10, 2011 13:02 |  #23

Bang Bang Boy wrote in post #11610924 (external link)
Thought I'd throw in an update on current progress.

I have been in contact with various airlines and found reasonably cheap plane tickets 600 USD back and forth to bagdhad with a weeks stay.

Right now I am trying to find a hotel or perhaps a B&B to spend my time. My only concerns are regarding the money and whether or not I should spend it on a camera and postpone the trip to after the summer or do it in february/march with only one camera aswell as a couple of film cameras.

this seems like a terrible, terrible idea

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2011 13:05 |  #24

Sorry no luck there. I have been in contact with the US army and I need to live for three years or more in the united states legally to obtain a green card and first then I can join the army.

If you would have asked me a year ago I would have joined any army, but now I like to think that I have matured and I would rather try to capture war in images than to actually fight one.
To have a chance to see both sides of the conflict.

And guys, I am definately going to arrange a "fixer" a daily plan and I am not going to leave anything to the chance. Not anything which I can affect atleast. Right now I am considering paying 3900 USD for a week long tour in a combat zone with a seasoned war correspondent. But if it's possible I would rather do it on my own and spend the money on things like a fixer, a safehouse and a guaranteed way out of the country in case of any incidents.

sk82712
224 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 10, 2011 14:39 |  #25

Just another 2 cents from me: I haven't been to Iraq, but if the heat is anywhere near as oppressing as it was in western Afghanistan (I actually saw the thermometer hit 145F...and we still ran missions :-(... avoid the summer months like the plague.

And another thought: You are aware that Operation Iraqi Freedom is now known as Operation New Dawn? There are very very few infantry / combat units left in Iraq right now, everything is pretty much done by the Iraqi army. Guys deploying to Iraq are no longer getting combat patches because the major combat is over. Although tribal / religious violence is still prevalent, even sometimes in the Green Zone in Baghdad. I wouldn't recommend traveling there at all.

There is always the option of traveling to a place where a previous war was. I spent 2 weeks in Sarajevo, Bosnia not too long ago. That city hasn't really been rebuilt after the war there. Damn near more bullet holes in buildings there than I saw in Farah. Sort of cover the fall out and after effects of a war zone. Or what about a trip to the cities around Chernobyl? There is plenty of messed up stuff to see there.

Off topic: My buddy Hakan is a Swedish Major, didn't the Swedish army just stop conscripts?

-Adam

1D Mk iii, 5D Mk ii, and lots of l.
instagram.com/heller.p​hoto (external link)

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2011 14:51 |  #26

sk82712 wrote in post #11612021 (external link)
Just another 2 cents from me: I haven't been to Iraq, but if the heat is anywhere near as oppressing as it was in western Afghanistan (I actually saw the thermometer hit 145F...and we still ran missions :-(... avoid the summer months like the plague.

And another thought: You are aware that Operation Iraqi Freedom is now known as Operation New Dawn? There are very very few infantry / combat units left in Iraq right now, everything is pretty much done by the Iraqi army. Guys deploying to Iraq are no longer getting combat patches because the major combat is over. Although tribal / religious violence is still prevalent, even sometimes in the Green Zone in Baghdad. I wouldn't recommend traveling there at all.

There is always the option of traveling to a place where a previous war was. I spent 2 weeks in Sarajevo, Bosnia not too long ago. That city hasn't really been rebuilt after the war there. Damn near more bullet holes in buildings there than I saw in Farah. Sort of cover the fall out and after effects of a war zone. Or what about a trip to the cities around Chernobyl? There is plenty of messed up stuff to see there.

Off topic: My buddy Hakan is a Swedish Major, didn't the Swedish army just stop conscripts?

-Adam

Yup, I was the last generation to be conscripted into the army.

And actually that's what I meant by going on this kindoff photo op, I would hardly go out and try to catch the fighting. I am much more interested about how the infrastructure and the normal life has been affected. Baghdad was just one of the locations I have been interested in. Much to the fact that it is a sprawling capital in the aftermath of a war.

lookingforaname
820 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 10, 2011 17:47 |  #27

Another idea is to go with a volunteer non-profit organization, where you could be doing some positive good aside from photography, and have probably be slightly more safe than if you're going totally solo.

June Day Photography - Junedayphoto.com (external link)

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2011 18:00 |  #28

how can the coast gaurd OWN your image? unless you shooting with their equipment I dont see how then can claim it.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 10, 2011 18:31 |  #29

First of all you need some sort of PJ creds.
Just having a camera and in a little bit of experience is not going to cut it .
If you don't speak the local language, understand local customs , establish trust with local leaders , how are you gonna prevent yourself from getting kidnapped ? Your country neutrality doesn't mean squat to war lord who can't read .

No magazine worth their salt, is going to sponsor you in a war zone, so that you can get killed. What is it you hope to say that is not already been said by more experienced and better prepared photographers?

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 10, 2011 18:41 |  #30

maybe you could check out Karl Grobl...

he does Humanitarian work for a lot of Agencies :D
http://karlgrobl.com/b​log/ (external link)

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

sponsored links

7,362 views & 0 likes for this thread
War Correspondent/ Photojournalist= HOW?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.