Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Jan 2011 (Monday) 15:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS 1 speed strap vs Black Rapid RS7

Doctorh
926 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2011 15:49 |  #1

Can anyone tell me which strap is better? or is there another one on the market that is one to consider?
http://www.carryspeed.​com/ (external link)
http://www.blackrapid.​com/ (external link)

Thanks for your help

2 Canon 5D Mk II; Sony A6000; 16-35 LF2.8; 24-70 F2.8 L; 24-105 F4 IS L; 70-200 F4 IS L; 28-135 F3.5; 50 F1.4; and 580 EX11

sponsored links
alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 10, 2011 16:53 |  #2

I personally have used the strap the comes with my camera, the CPS strap, and the BlackRapid RS-5. From this point forward, I will always have a BR strap attached to my camera. I'm on my second RS-5 because the first one I owned had some quality control issues early on. I let BR know about these problems and they quickly replaced my whole unit with a brand new RS-5.

The biggest problem I had with the original RS-5 was with the rough thumb screw on the Connect-R2. This connector left scratches along the bottom of my old camera. After talking to the BR team about it, they've replaced all their connectors with smooth thumb screws on the Connect-R2. Unfortunately, they haven't updated the pictures on their website to show the new connector.

The BR customer service and their continuing innovation to their products are what's going to keep me a customer with them for as long as I own a camera. I'm looking forward to trying out their new SnapR and RS-Sport products in the future.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 10, 2011 17:25 as a reply to  @ alpharon's post |  #3

To the best of my knowledge, the Black Rapid was the first of the sling straps and they had a few teething problems. Now that they have gotten all that sorted out and are fairly successful, everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon.

I have four different Black Rapid straps, two of which I converted into a dual rig and I'm very happy with them. I think they're reliable and do just exactly what they advertise.

If you look around, or do a search for "Black Rapid," you're going to find many differing opinions about them, so make your own decision. Some of the detractors are pretty vehement...

John

Doctorh
THREAD ­ STARTER
926 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 11, 2011 20:42 |  #4

Thank for your insight -

2 Canon 5D Mk II; Sony A6000; 16-35 LF2.8; 24-70 F2.8 L; 24-105 F4 IS L; 70-200 F4 IS L; 28-135 F3.5; 50 F1.4; and 580 EX11

effstop
810 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 11, 2011 22:14 |  #5

Doctorh wrote in post #11612520 (external link)
Can anyone tell me which strap is better? or is there another one on the market that is one to consider?
http://www.carryspeed.​com/ (external link)
http://www.blackrapid.​com/ (external link)

Thanks for your help

I've been looking at the BR system but for 1/2 the price it seems like a good alternative. You should try it out and give us a testimonial :).

5D MKI | 1D MKII | 24-70mm 2.8 L | 80-200MM 2.8 L | 400mm 5.6 L |50mm 1.8

blssdwlf
543 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 15, 2011 16:58 |  #6

@Doctorh - A friend and I met the owner of CarrySpeed yesterday and both picked up a CS-1 from him.

The CS-1 is equivalent to the BR RS-4. The owner has a strap equivalent to the RS-7 but I can't remember what it was called and his website doesn't have the latest product shot of it up.

I haven't given the CS-1 a good workout yet but my initial impressions are that the build quality of the strap is good, the metal connectors appears to be strong. The plastic "stop buckles" (that's what I call them) are nicer on the BR compared to the CS-1.

The biggest difference is the fastener to the camera. BR's fastener is at the tripod mount (which gives it more freedom to rotate once attached to the connector) while CS-1 uses an offset plate. What that means is that I do have to pay attention which way to attach to the carabiner for the CS-1. The upside is that it seems to hang better at my side (camera doesn't want to rotate around) and I can still mount it to a quick release plate.

For the price, so far I think it's a pretty good deal.

Regards,
Peter
--= gear: 400D / 17-50 / 55-250 / nifty-50 / flash / etc =--

effstop
810 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2011 22:35 |  #7

I was really leaning on getting a BR but for the price I will give the CS a shot.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 16, 2011 00:10 as a reply to  @ effstop's post |  #8

Don't forget Sun Sniper, especially with the new fastener that acts as both the slide and the clip (eliminates scratches associated with clips).

The Carry Speed strap looks pretty cool. I like basic straps, no pockets and crap added on. However, they need to get a better web design as their current pages suck out my will to live.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

effstop
810 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 03, 2011 22:29 |  #9

I just purchased the CS1 and what sold me was the tripod ready speed mount. Seems like a solid deal for a $35 kit and look forward to trying out next week.

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 03, 2011 23:51 |  #10

The CS1 whole package is EXACTLY like what I bought in HongKong for equivalent to about $20USD. The "speed mount" is a metal plate wit slot cut for hand strap and thread for mount tripod. The overall connection is pretty solid. However, the tripod mount is nearly useless if you use tripod plate. on your camera. So if your tripod setup use a plate, or if you have tripod plate attached to your camera all the time, then this is NOT the device for you.

As for Black Rapid, I have RS4 myself for about 1 year. I am actually kind of disaspointed with the strap material, specifically the webbing. Mine strap fraying already after 1 year of light use. The webbing is very light weight and soft, seems not so high quality. I hope the later model, RS7 and RS-sport have better material, if not, for the money, I will not buy again.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 03, 2011 23:56 |  #11

BR has updated the strap material used on their straps. I had bad fraying on my first RS-5 Strap along with a couple other nitpicky problems. BR replaced it with a newer RS-5 built with newer materials.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 04, 2011 00:02 |  #12

alpharon wrote in post #11773812 (external link)
BR has updated the strap material used on their straps. I had bad fraying on my first RS-5 Strap along with a couple other nitpicky problems. BR replaced it with a newer RS-5 built with newer materials.

good to know

do I just email BR for replacement?

FrostQ
200 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 04, 2011 09:21 |  #13

the connectors look just like the BR knockoff called Q-strap. Try searching it on ebay. I've been using it for a few months now and it's flawless so far. The good thing about it is that the mounting plate comes with a handstrap bracket...comes in handy...

Canon G12 | 430EXII w/ stofen

Gear List

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 04, 2011 12:32 |  #14

alpharon wrote in post #11773812 (external link)

BR customer service is really top notch. I email them about my RS4 webbing fraying issue. They email me this morning said replacement with update webbing is on the way. The only thing I email them is BH photo invoice for my RS4. This alone makes me felt BR is worth the extra $$.

FrostQ wrote in post #11775431 (external link)
the connectors look just like the BR knockoff called Q-strap. Try searching it on ebay. I've been using it for a few months now and it's flawless so far. The good thing about it is that the mounting plate comes with a handstrap bracket...comes in handy...

Yes, Q strap was what I bought from Hong Kong. I did a review a while back between Q and RS4. The conclusion was BR has better hardware, but Q has better webbing. Now with the updated RS4, will see. I will report back once I got the RS4 replacement.

Doctorh
THREAD ­ STARTER
926 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 04, 2011 15:56 |  #15

Update: I ended up purchasing the Black Rapid RS-7, just returned from a trip overseas and used it everyday for 11 days! Wow! What a great product. Easy to use, freed up my hands, walked miles, took over 1000 shots - never got tired with the camera hanging on my side. Just a great product.
Also, I shot an event one evening - shooting over 400 shots - sliding the camera up and down the strap - not one problem! Buy one!

sponsored links

11,310 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS 1 speed strap vs Black Rapid RS7
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.