Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 30 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Michele and Jake - San Diego Engagement

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 07, 2011 14:44 |  #16

auroraskye wrote in post #11592818 (external link)
I understand the debate on the border thing. I did a border for a while with a logo down in the middle but decided it took away from the photos. I have used a small symbol with my blog URL for a long time now, and will either stick with something similar or just go for a URL only when I rebrand. I hate large cluttered looking logos on photos too.

The ring on the back shot. I like the uniqueness and individuality of it but part of me goes, hmm, strange and very unnatural.. But I guess no stacked ring shots are particularly 'natural'. lol. I think if it's has emotional significance to the couple, that's cool. It's a little hard to see the detail in the rings at this distance though.

On the stair photo I love the angle and the DOF. The blacks are a hair overdone (part of whatever you used to process I'm sure) but the coloring I don't mind. I agree it works pretty well.

I think the fisheye worked well for that last shot.. It really shows of the architecture. Maybe a little too warm/orange though.

Fun variety, which is nice.

Thank you Aurora,

I am having a hard time finding a way to do a watermark (and I understand this makes it very easy to crop off) but at least it doesnt cover up the image like so many of my old ways did. I think I will keep it for now - again, not something I LOVE, but something that has worked the best so far - and its pretty easy to do it.

The ring on the back shot, that was something I had planned for a while actually. I understand it is not natural, who would lay like that? There is a long story behind it, but basically that is MIchele's last name that he is going to be taking, rather than her taking his name. There isnt much detail in the rings because it is far out, but this wasnt meant to be a ring shot, but I feel it added a little something rather than just a tattoo on his back. Hopefully with a little back story it helps it a little - they really enjoy it even though they were reluctant at first. I know that is sort of a cop out, but I love it. I will admit, it was a picture for me and I am kinda proud of it. That, and it makes a great background for a spread on their engagement album.

The stair picture, I agree again the blacks are heavy - heavier than I normally have them - but I find that worked with the style. It is strong, but I wanted to overdo it, but just enough, if that makes sense.

I am surprised the fisheye worked as well as it did to be honest, it was actually just a shot to save the location, I wasnt getting anything else I really liked from it and I was running out of time. It is more warm than normally processed image, but I didnt want the backgroudn arches to be blue and give the image a cool look.

Thank you again everyone, I appreciate all of the feedback.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Leonardo ­ Oregel
91 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 10, 2011 02:14 |  #17

They all came out good! Great job!

L.O. PHOTOGRAPHY - twitter.com/LeoMazi

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 10, 2011 13:32 as a reply to  @ post 11592818 |  #18

Nice stuff Bryan,

5, 8, and the fish shot are probably my favorites from the group.

Personally, I think #3 is too dark...I see what you were going for but am not sure if it works here.

and I'm not really diggin the font...it's a bit bland...and i'm definitely not a flashy guy...but I just feel like it needs a bit more of an interesting font...or keep the font but add a logo.

-Dave

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 10, 2011 13:41 |  #19

Nice range.

Excellent variation throughout.

I love the crossing shot and the streetlamp with the couple underneath shot.

As to cool and warm, I see no problem, each works within its own shot.

There are no "rules", you get to make them.

A great selection.

Mark :-)

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 10, 2011 14:12 |  #20

Leonardo Oregel wrote in post #11609092 (external link)
They all came out good! Great job!

Thank you very much. I am proud of it.

helloagain36 wrote in post #11611615 (external link)
Nice stuff Bryan,

5, 8, and the fish shot are probably my favorites from the group.

Personally, I think #3 is too dark...I see what you were going for but am not sure if it works here.

and I'm not really diggin the font...it's a bit bland...and i'm definitely not a flashy guy...but I just feel like it needs a bit more of an interesting font...or keep the font but add a logo.

Thank you for the comments. Its funny how different shots appeal to different people.

I get what you are saying with #3. It is very heavy in the blacks, and the lower part is basically lost in it. I was using my new Tokina 500mm f8 reflex lens for this shot to get some interesting bokeh. I am actually surprised that no one mentioned it, with how much flack reflex lenses get on this forum (the lens section in particular, I havent seen them shown here) I was trying a different silhouette, and admit its not the best Ive ever done.

Here is another shot with the lens, I just LOVE the compression.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5089/5303809929_415df6b56c_b.jpg

With the font, totally agree with you. I need to get a solid logo for sure, but spicing up the font a little (its really easy to go overboard with fonts quickly) will help make it a bit more interesting.

mtimber wrote in post #11611665 (external link)
Nice range.

Excellent variation throughout.

I love the crossing shot and the streetlamp with the couple underneath shot.

As to cool and warm, I see no problem, each works within its own shot.

There are no "rules", you get to make them.

A great selection.

Mark :-)

Thank you Mark. I am pleased with the WB selection (except on 4, it is too cool).

I appreciate all of the comments. I love hearing different viewpoints. Thank you all.

Bryan

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 10, 2011 14:22 |  #21

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #11611818 (external link)
Thank you Mark. I am pleased with the WB selection (except on 4, it is too cool).

I appreciate all of the comments. I love hearing different viewpoints. Thank you all.

I disagree.

That was one of the shots that really jumped out at me.

The happiness in the young girls face has been caught perfectly.

The warmth is there in the eyes.

That really caught me and the "warmth" of the picture was never an issue.

I love shots that catch the "emotion" or "heart" of a person.

There are thousands of images that are technically correct, but very few that actually capture emotion.

This one does.

I will take "heart" over "technical" every day of the week.

That is the type of imagery I want to take (still on a strict learning curve at the moment). :-)

Mark

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

toadhunter911
439 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 10, 2011 17:00 |  #22

Nice set Bryan. Took a few minutes and surfed your website, and I'm very impressed. Your style and creativity really shines thru your work.

Craig

Craig
Gear List

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 10, 2011 17:46 |  #23

Nice set from a fellow San Diego photog! Watch out for your shadow on that fisheye shot. You could probably easily clone/dodge/edit that out in pp though.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 10, 2011 21:50 |  #24

mtimber wrote in post #11611896 (external link)
I disagree.

That was one of the shots that really jumped out at me.

The happiness in the young girls face has been caught perfectly.

The warmth is there in the eyes.

That really caught me and the "warmth" of the picture was never an issue.

I love shots that catch the "emotion" or "heart" of a person.

There are thousands of images that are technically correct, but very few that actually capture emotion.

This one does.

I will take "heart" over "technical" every day of the week.

That is the type of imagery I want to take (still on a strict learning curve at the moment). :-)

Mark

Well thank you Mark. I appreciate the comments

toadhunter911 wrote in post #11613031 (external link)
Nice set Bryan. Took a few minutes and surfed your website, and I'm very impressed. Your style and creativity really shines thru your work.

Craig

I appreciate it Craig. Im really starting to hone in on my style, and I am glad you like it.

alpharon wrote in post #11613309 (external link)
Nice set from a fellow San Diego photog! Watch out for your shadow on that fisheye shot. You could probably easily clone/dodge/edit that out in pp though.

This forum is great to meet local photographers, oddly enough (being a worldwide forum and all). Dont hesitate to contact me if you are ever in need.

Good call about the fisheye shot. My girlfriend pointed it out right away. It shouldnt be too difficult to clone out.

Bryan

sponsored links

5,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
Michele and Jake - San Diego Engagement
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.