Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 Jan 2011 (Monday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Update my pc

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 10, 2011 18:38 |  #1

My parents just got a new PC because there old one was to slow and had a burnt out hard drive. Its a Sony VAIo VGC-RB38G. Im looking at putting in a 1TB HD. What else can i do to make this better? Its an older computer, i just dont want to spend allot of money to where i can just buy a new PC.

sponsored links
adivineeternity
335 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2011 19:05 |  #2

Check and see what graphics card it's using, how much ram it has, etc. Ram isn't too expensive and, depending on the current graphics card, that might be worth upgrading, as well. I'm not even going to pretend to know what the latest is in the graphics card department, but do some research on the card that's in it and see what has come out since then. If there have been a lot of updates in that line of cards, go for the upgrade - eBay will be your friend on this.

I'm actually considering updating my olllld PC (bought it January 2004) to make it into some sort of functioning machine and to teach myself about the insides of computers (reading stuff online or in a book teaches me nothing, as my teachers and professors all found out), so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for some input, as well.

I have a flickr (external link)

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 10, 2011 19:07 |  #3

It says its only upgradable to 2gb its a pentium 4

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 10, 2011 20:58 as a reply to  @ unlimited6986's post |  #4

At that point the PC is at least 6-7 years old, and probably not worth saving.

A pentium 4 isn't really fast enough for 720p video on youtube.

Gear

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 10, 2011 21:00 |  #5

Hmm ok its mostly just going to be for using Lightroom and PS. I have my laptop to do everything else.

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2011 21:08 |  #6

Trash it, it will run painfully slow.

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 10, 2011 21:23 |  #7

http://reviews.cnet.co​m …4505-3118_7-31256859.html (external link)

This is it

r31ncarnat3d
633 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 10, 2011 22:23 |  #8

unlimited6986 wrote in post #11613596 (external link)
My parents just got a new PC because there old one was to slow and had a burnt out hard drive. Its a Sony VAIo VGC-RB38G. Im looking at putting in a 1TB HD. What else can i do to make this better? Its an older computer, i just dont want to spend allot of money to where i can just buy a new PC.

The best thing for you to do, performance wise, is to upgrade the CPU. If it's a Socket 775 Pentium 4 you have, a Core 2 Duo would be the best choice (assuming the BIOS supports a Core 2). If it's an older socket, you're a bit out of luck and stuck upgrade-wise.

The PC is also old enough that it uses the outdated and relatively expensive DDR RAM. Unlike the newer DDR2 and DDR3, it's still pretty expensive since for whatever reason prices haven't dropped that much. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet you're running Windows XP which didn't have a mainstream 64-bit version and therefore you'd be unable to run more than 4GBs of RAM (although I think not many P4 motherboards support up to 4GBs even).

As for the 1TB, it depends on your motherboard, but all current HDDs use SATA II connectors, and depending on how old your system is, it may or may not have SATA connectors. You really have to either give us your model number or take a picture of the motherboard for us to tell you for sure.
EDIT: Just saw your last post. You're in luck! Your motherboard is a Socket 775 and the motherboard has SATA I ports.

This means that you might be able to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo. However, it's important that you research this heavily before you attempt to do so. In short, some BIOS can support the CPUs and some can't. Your best bet will be with an older Core 2 Duo like the Core 2 Duo e4xxx (Allendale) and Core 2 Duo e6xxx (Conroe) series. Also, with your harddrive, it is possible to use a SATA II (the modern spec) 1TB harddrive in the older SATA I slots that your motherboard has. Unfortunately, while the two were meant to be backwards compatible, this wasn't always the case and there may be some problems with the interface between the two techs. In short, buyer beware.

Even then, a 1TB HDD won't give you a nice performance boost. As I've stated before, the Pentium 4 is probably what's holding your system back. With today's programs, the P4 is very slow (esp with higher end software like Lightroom 3 or Photoshop).

adivineeternity wrote in post #11613728 (external link)
Check and see what graphics card it's using, how much ram it has, etc. Ram isn't too expensive and, depending on the current graphics card, that might be worth upgrading, as well. I'm not even going to pretend to know what the latest is in the graphics card department, but do some research on the card that's in it and see what has come out since then. If there have been a lot of updates in that line of cards, go for the upgrade - eBay will be your friend on this.

I'm actually considering updating my olllld PC (bought it January 2004) to make it into some sort of functioning machine and to teach myself about the insides of computers (reading stuff online or in a book teaches me nothing, as my teachers and professors all found out), so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for some input, as well.

I actually heavily disagree with all of this. Updating the graphics card won't help much with his system. If anything, upgrading the CPU is a much better option. If the Pentium 4 he's using is a Socket 775, then it's a much better choice to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo (first checking the motherboard online to see if the BIOS supports the Core 2).

Also, with Pentium 4 he's using DDR ram, which isn't as cheap as DDR2 or DDR3 is. For whatever reason, this older RAM is more expensive than its newer counterparts. It'd be a bit cost-productive.

Canon 80D | Canon SL2 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART | Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 10, 2011 22:48 |  #9

If it's the same computer as this one: http://reviews.cnet.co​m …31256859.html#r​eviewPage1 (external link)

Then there is NOTHING you can do to upgrade it.
It is so out of date you can use it was a web browser, a door stop, or recycle the steel and copper or a few extra $$.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 11, 2011 08:43 |  #10

My EIGHT year old 2.4hz/1gb Ram (maxed out) VAIO serves as my DVR...still works well to tape TV shows and burn DVDs from the movies/shows I want to save...with the remote control it's very convenient...and using it separate from my newer PCs used for photoshop (2 since I got the Sony) enables the newer ones to work faster...
More economically reasonable would be to get a "new" refurbished i3 PC from HP business outlet for under $400

Pavilion p6570t W7HP-64 i3 540 3.06GHz 600GB SATA 4GB DVDRW(LS) NIC 15-in-1 Rmkt PC $351.20

at

http://h71016.www7.hp.​com …computing/price​-list#HHO1 (external link)

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

adivineeternity
335 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 12, 2011 01:13 |  #11

r31ncarnat3d wrote in post #11614929 (external link)
I actually heavily disagree with all of this. Updating the graphics card won't help much with his system. If anything, upgrading the CPU is a much better option. If the Pentium 4 he's using is a Socket 775, then it's a much better choice to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo (first checking the motherboard online to see if the BIOS supports the Core 2).

Also, with Pentium 4 he's using DDR ram, which isn't as cheap as DDR2 or DDR3 is. For whatever reason, this older RAM is more expensive than its newer counterparts. It'd be a bit cost-productive.

My bad. Feel free to ignore my ignorance.

Something you could look into (and something I'm considering) is building your own, that way you can figure out what it is you really want and what you can afford and go from there. I remember when my dad built his if he had bought something comparable from a company it would have cost him far more. It's worth a consideration.

I have a flickr (external link)

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 12, 2011 04:51 as a reply to  @ adivineeternity's post |  #12

For 300$ you can rebuild the computer's internals to fly. Assuming you can reuse the case/DVD drive/can get a copy of windows (preferably 7) somewhere.

4GB DDR3 (40$)
Athlon II X3 (76$)
MSI mobo (external link) 80$
Corsair 430 watt PSU (35$)
Samsung F3 1TB (70$)

And you can certainly go cheaper/wait for deals. The Corsair PSU drops to 23$ regurally, Samsung F3 to 55$. An Athlon X2 would still be ~4x as fast as the pentium 4.

Another strong alternative is a Dell outlet.

Gear

sponsored links

1,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
Update my pc
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.