Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

srika
Goldmember
3,900 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 09, 2011 23:27 |  #901

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #11602215 (external link)
Nice job, although where you going for the over-the-top look? I think it's good, although the arch in the top corners kind of draw my attention away.

yeah, that's because its not a complete panoramic stitch.

raѕιdel ѕlιĸa f l i c k r (external link) . p σ r t f σ l í σ (external link)

sponsored links
SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 09, 2011 23:53 |  #902

mikekelley wrote in post #11608502 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

two lights, slight shift with tse-17mm, some accents painted in, real happy with the way this one turned out for a bedroom shot. gives a nice warm inviting feel against the cold outside. tissue box sorta sucks but the realtor said not to move anything..so i didn't. haha.

What is that on the bed? Kept drawing my eyes over there. Nice shot indeed. You could probably make it even more powerful if you had another shot to the left stitched but I dunno what it looks like there.

srika wrote in post #11608518 (external link)
yeah, that's because its not a complete panoramic stitch.

Yeah, have you considered cloning it or are you leaving it there?

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 09, 2011 23:53 |  #903

Some sort of animal fur (or faux animal fur, probably) throw, I think.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

srika
Goldmember
3,900 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 09, 2011 23:54 |  #904

SuperHuman21 wrote in post #11608653 (external link)
Yeah, have you considered cloning it or are you leaving it there?

nah, it was just for practice / fun.

raѕιdel ѕlιĸa f l i c k r (external link) . p σ r t f σ l í σ (external link)

ScottKCooper
Goldmember
1,500 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 10, 2011 10:51 |  #905

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

tissue box sorta sucks but the realtor said not to move anything..so i didn't. haha.

...except maybe the realtor - who should be very pleased with this! congrats on the nice new tool for RE photography!

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1276863

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 10, 2011 11:04 |  #906

IMAGE NOT FOUND

two lights, slight shift with tse-17mm, some accents painted in, real happy with the way this one turned out for a bedroom shot. gives a nice warm inviting feel against the cold outside. tissue box sorta sucks but the realtor said not to move anything..so i didn't. haha.

I like it a lot, especially with the cold outside through the window! You nailed the warmth part!

As for the tissue box...yeah....in the beginning I would move some of that stuff and one shoot I moved these hideous giant stuffed animals off the beds. There was on giant stuffed animal on each of the additional beds (other than the master). I got chewed out by the interior designer for moving them. My client was pissed because the interior designer said I messed up the whole vignette of the room. Then, I had another shoot where there were some really bad floor mats and towels in this one bathroom, so I moved them for the shot....and I heard about it again. So, now, I don't move anything! I have a short list of to-dos for my clients to give their sellers. I explain that interior design and photographic composition are not the same and sometimes conflict with one another. I will move small items to improve a shot (hand towel on oven door, bath mats that cover nice tile flooring, etc) but anything major will be shot as-is.

These agents trust their interior designers, so I'm just going to shoot it as-is and go to the next house.

I had one house where the agent asked me why I didn't clean up the dirty clothes in the bathroom. I said 'you are kidding, right? I do not clean up people's dirty clothes. They know I was coming and it is YOUR job to train them on keeping the house clean. If they left it like that for photos, what do you think it will look like for showings? Train your clients.' The funny thing is, this is my best client now...LOL. She ordered 59 shoots last year.

Anyway, I understand the whole 'don't move anything' directive.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 10, 2011 11:50 |  #907

TGrundvig wrote in post #11610806 (external link)
I have a short list of to-dos for my clients to give their sellers.

Is this something I could talk you into sharing? If I said 'Pweeeezeee?'

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 10, 2011 12:41 |  #908

apixelintime wrote in post #11611066 (external link)
Is this something I could talk you into sharing? If I said 'Pweeeezeee?'

Basically, I ask them to do the things that I want done but don't want to do myself. For example:

Remove floor mats from hardwood flooring and nice tile floors. If a floor has nice hardwood or tile, then show it off. It could be the difference maker between your home and one down the street, so don't cover it up with a bunch of floor mats. Now, a large rug on hardwood, that's different. I'm talking about the little mats in the kitchen and bathrooms....get rid of them for the photos if the floors are nice quality. On the other hand, if you are shooting a home with carpet or cheap linoleum in the kitchen and/or bathrooms....LEAVE the mats down if they are color coordinated. The last thing you want to do is draw attention to cheap materials or carpet in kitchen/baths. So, I ask that these things be removed from hardwood and tiled areas.

Kitchens- clear off the counter tops! For crying out loud, you are not selling all your personal stuff, so get it off the counter tops. (I don't word it like that, but that's how I feel). Clean counter tops make them look bigger. ;) No dishes in the sink and no hand towels on over doors or cabinets.

Bathrooms- no floor mats (hardwood and tile), not toilet seat covers....EVER! Clean off the counter top, no one wants to see your tooth brush collection, decorative soap, hand towel, hair dryer, or any other crap like that. No personal items, period. Oh yeah, that goes for the shower as well. Nothing bothers me more than going into a home with a phenomenal custom tiled shower with two shower heads and the thing has shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, and those fu-fu things that girls use. Again, get rid of all your personal crap!

Bedrooms- remove the clutter. Take down posters. Get rid of the 52 pillows. Keep it simple and clean.

Living areas- keep these areas clutter free. If there is too much furniture, remove a piece to make the room look larger. Cut back on the personal photos on the walls or remove them all together. And, not matter what, get rid of the animal heads! I have no problem with hunting, but come on....you are trying to sell your house and no one is going to be able to pay attention to the features of the room when you have dead animals on the walls. It is distracting and it does offend some people, so remove it.

Windows- curtains and blinds are to be open. If there is too much light, I will adjust them accordingly. But, make sure they are open. It is a huge waste of time if I go into a 9,000 SF home and I have to adjust the blinds open on 50-60 windows. No, makes sure they are open prior to my arrival.

Lights- Make sure ALL lights are on. Now, this one is more flexible because there are a lot of homes I just let myself into. If that is the case, then I will take care of the lights. But, if someone is meeting me there, make sure all the lights are on (including lamps) and I will turn them off when I am done.

Outside- remove garbage cans, no cars in the driveway or in front of the home, no bikes/toys in the yard, organize the patio/deck furniture, etc. Make it clean and neat.

Of course, it all worded much nicer than that but I want you to understand my thought process. I think that covers everything.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 10, 2011 13:06 |  #909

TGrundvig wrote in post #11611293 (external link)
Windows- curtains and blinds are to be open. If there is too much light, I will adjust them accordingly. But, make sure they are open. It is a huge waste of time if I go into a 9,000 SF home and I have to adjust the blinds open on 50-60 windows. No, makes sure they are open prior to my arrival.

this is by far the biggest pain in the ass.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Architective
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 11, 2011 00:31 as a reply to  @ mikekelley's post |  #910

Mike - you're going to love the tilt/shift action. You've probably seen by now that it takes a bunch more time to get the shot set up but it's totally worth it. Another great feature is that even if you're not using the tilt/shift feature, you've still got a badass prime L lens. Happy shooting!

mattO

Mattophoto.net

bunyarra
429 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 11, 2011 08:27 |  #911

TGrundvig wrote in post #11611293 (external link)
Basically, I ask them to do the things that I want done but don't want to do myself.

A good list.

I am fortunate that most of the homes I shoot in the UK are not for Estate Agents (Realtors) but for builders. The large ones employ professional stagers to make show homes shine and they generally do an amazing job. But they will do things like forget light bulbs or even lamp shades.

My issue is always that they want "street scenes" from an estate still in development. Roads are still dirt, the only plants are outside the single home - everything else is a building site. They then turn round and ask what I can do to make it look like an established residential area :) Bless.

-------------
Michael Gove
http://photosignals.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Google+ Profile (external link)

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 11, 2011 09:27 |  #912

bunyarra wrote in post #11616891 (external link)
A good list.

I am fortunate that most of the homes I shoot in the UK are not for Estate Agents (Realtors) but for builders. The large ones employ professional stagers to make show homes shine and they generally do an amazing job. But they will do things like forget light bulbs or even lamp shades.

My issue is always that they want "street scenes" from an estate still in development. Roads are still dirt, the only plants are outside the single home - everything else is a building site. They then turn round and ask what I can do to make it look like an established residential area :) Bless.

Yep, my builder clients are the same as yours. Those homes are in pristine condition and ready to shoot. Heck, they even leave the lights on during the day so I don't have to even deal with lights.

Fortunately for me, mine don't ask for street scenes. I have shot some neighborhood parks and hiking/biking trails for them, but no streets. I'm with you, it doesn't make sense to shoot a dirty street.

DJCronin28
665 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 11, 2011 12:37 |  #913

Man, haven't been on this thread for a little while now! Great stuff up there, I like the list you got up there TG. Mike, I saw you were thinking of getting a T/S a while back, looks like you got the 17mm and nice photo above!
I was back north of Boston over the holidays and my buddy that shoots for the Mandarin Oriental convinced me how sweet they are, so of course, I ended up finding a used 24mm TSE and it is AWESOME. Just as Architective stated above, they are SWEET primes if nothing else, but I'm amazed at how much more flexibility you have in making what would be an otherwise mundane snapshot into something a bit more interesting.

Canon 1DSII, 7D, bunch of lenses
www.danecroninphotogra​phy.com (external link)
www.beyondtheconcert.c​om (external link)
www.facebook.com/danec​roninphotography (external link)

DJCronin28
665 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 11, 2011 12:59 |  #914

Bunyarra- I was just reading your earlier posts in regards to the Nikon guy at BH saying the TSE didn't work with his camera. First few times I used my TSE I was almost thinking the same thing that somehow my lens wasn't metering correctly with my camera, until I thought about how much the camera's metering system would be thrown off by the extreme tilting and shifting. Then when I tried it on my 7D and tried the live view, I found by looking at the liveview, I can get the exposure pretty much perfect even despite having the lens tilted and shifted to any extreme right away, I'm sure you've probably tried this too, but now I'm hooked on using liveview when I literally hardly ever used it before. I figured many of you probably know this, but if you didn't, just wanted to share that little bit of info w/ regards to TSE's. Not to mention, obviously it makes it much easier to get what you want in focus, especially for someone like myself who wears contacts and doesn't have a perfect prescription! ha

Canon 1DSII, 7D, bunch of lenses
www.danecroninphotogra​phy.com (external link)
www.beyondtheconcert.c​om (external link)
www.facebook.com/danec​roninphotography (external link)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 11, 2011 22:12 |  #915

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Is this a shot for a real estate sale? If so, i'm gonna challenge some thinking here. I thing this a great furnture photo, but its not a great sales photo. The main point og interest is the bed, not the room. I'd like to see more of the ceiling, as it seems to have very interesting lines. The windows could be displayed more prominently.

The question is whether this shot would get someone off there butts to look at this listing. Would it?

This space for rent.

sponsored links

2,058,298 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.