Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jan 2011 (Sunday) 18:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best cheap fast walkaround zoom for FF?

qbfx
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 10, 2011 17:31 |  #16

Thanks for chimeing in, booja. Did you use those on FF or crop? In any case I'm already set on the tammy :) Everyone seems to praise it and if it's anything like the 17-50 F2.8 non-VC on my buddy's 7D I think I'm gonna join the tammy fan club ;)

╔═══════╗
:::::::::::::::::::╔════╗
::::::::5D:::::':::::::::''XS::::
╚═══════╝::::╚════╝

sponsored links
booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 10, 2011 19:34 |  #17

good choice on the tammy.

i used them all on FF. i really like the tamron lens. im mainly a prime lens user but wanted a useful mid range zoom for the days i want to carry only one lens. and the tamron was it. i couldnt justify getting the 24-70L again and spending that much for a lens that i would hardly use.

my 35L and 85L pretty much stay on the camera

housejacket
110 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 10, 2011 20:39 |  #18

+1 for Tamron 28-75 2.8.

I've said it before and I'll say it yet again: I have L glass in every other focal range I use except this one...it's that good.

With that said, I'd love to see them release a ring-AF version (they call theirs USD), perhaps with VC.

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 10, 2011 22:58 |  #19

dmnelson wrote in post #11612731 (external link)
If they were getting the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 to put on a 5d2, then yeah, I'd say it's time to put on the skids and reconsider priorities. :)

Why? I have the 28-105 USM II version, and use it all the time on my 5DII now. No discernible difference between it, and the 24-105 I recently sold. A lens doesn't need to have a high sale price and a red ring on the end in order to take great photos.

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 10, 2011 23:49 as a reply to  @ adamo99's post |  #20

adamo99, you're preaching to the choir about not needing to spend a fortune to get good images. After all I was one of the people recommending the Tamron over an L.

That said, I owned the 28-105 and my experience led me to see it as more of a starter lens that I wouldn't expect to see paired with a high-end camera like yours. I did not know you have that combo and was not trying to pick on you.

I'm not saying you can't get good images without expensive glass, but the general rule is to upgrade lenses before getting a top-of-the-line body. If your camera body cost 10x as much as your standard lens then you're taking a very different approach.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

qbfx
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 11, 2011 04:59 |  #21

booja, it's kind of the same with me.. I use primes mostly but would like to have the convenience of a zoom when I don't wanna pack more than 1 lens.

housejacket, I'd love to see a USD VC (correctly implemented this time) version of the tamron. If they could make it 24mm on the wide side as well that would be one heck of a lens, I imagine it would still be smaller and lighter than the canon with tamron's XR technology.

╔═══════╗

chas1113
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 11, 2011 08:05 |  #22

If you can live with stop-down metering and manual focus, the IQ of the Contax (Zeiss) 35-70mm is hard to beat. It really is prime-like as reported. Micro focus and color saturation is outstanding. On full frame, center and edge sharpness beat my EF 24-105mm (and it's a good copy). A bargain at $350-$450 used. It may be a half-stop slow for you at a constant 3.4, though.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 11, 2011 08:29 |  #23

Yes, the Tamron 28-75 is a wonderful choice.

GEAR LIST

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 11, 2011 08:30 |  #24

I also have and love the C/Y Zeiss 35-70/3.4. But, have trouble telling anyone not fully into MF lenses to get one. It is hard to operate and focus correctly - for most people.

GEAR LIST

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 11, 2011 09:05 |  #25

chas1113 wrote in post #11616805 (external link)
If you can live with stop-down metering and manual focus, the IQ of the Contax (Zeiss) 35-70mm is hard to beat. It really is prime-like as reported. Micro focus and color saturation is outstanding. On full frame, center and edge sharpness beat my EF 24-105mm (and it's a good copy). A bargain at $350-$450 used. It may be a half-stop slow for you at a constant 3.4, though.

I wish I knew local people who used some of this legendary Zeiss glass. I'm always hearing it discussed as if it's the holy grail of lenses on these forums but I have never had an opportunity to try one of them. I really want to. :)

Gear | Flickr (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,434 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 11, 2011 09:31 |  #26

qbfx wrote in post #11616248 (external link)
booja, it's kind of the same with me.. I use primes mostly but would like to have the convenience of a zoom when I don't wanna pack more than 1 lens.

housejacket, I'd love to see a USD VC (correctly implemented this time) version of the tamron. If they could make it 24mm on the wide side as well that would be one heck of a lens, I imagine it would still be smaller and lighter than the canon with tamron's XR technology.

But much heavier compare to existing lens and twice more expensive.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

bufferbure1
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 11, 2011 10:04 |  #27

50mm and zoom with your feet

"I collect pictures, not gears..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lenscode:1635.1785.50f​18.100Macro.70200F4IS.​580EX.30D.5D2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 11, 2011 12:08 |  #28

It is hard to beat Tamron 28-75mm on FF for the price you pay.
I have gotten some very good results from it.

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

qbfx
THREAD ­ STARTER
456 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 11, 2011 13:19 |  #29

chas1113 wrote in post #11616805 (external link)

gasrocks wrote in post #11616906 (external link)
I also have and love the C/Y Zeiss 35-70/3.4. But, have trouble telling anyone not fully into MF lenses to get one. It is hard to operate and focus correctly - for most people.

I have heard it's a very good lens, but I don't think I'm experienced enough with MF to be able to operate it optimally for the quality it provides. And I do need a bit wider for my type of shooting.

kf095 wrote in post #11617212 (external link)
But much heavier compare to existing lens and twice more expensive.

I'm almost sure it would still be smaller and lighter than the 24-70L, and if they kept the same optical quality, I would indeed pay 2 times the price of the 28-75.

bufferbure1 wrote in post #11617405 (external link)
50mm and zoom with your feet

As I said I need wider, I already have a 50 F1.8 and I'm gonna buy a Zeiss Planar 50 F1.4. But sometimes you just cannot back off any more and I'm not really a pano shooter either.

Pasukun wrote in post #11618265 (external link)
It is hard to beat Tamron 28-75mm on FF for the price you pay.
I have gotten some very good results from it.

I hear you, I'm already set on the tammy ;) In the end of the week I'm gonna go and try 2-3 copies in the local store and choose the best apparently :)

╔═══════╗

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 11, 2011 13:24 |  #30

Tamron 28-75mm has my vote also, new for less than $500 and used in classified section here can be bought for less than $400, how can you go wrong with that price and performance?

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,341 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best cheap fast walkaround zoom for FF?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.