Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 13:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS Mark 1 or mark II?

karkid
99 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 11, 2011 13:38 |  #1

finally decided this is the lens i want, now trying to decide between which version, found sellers of both, mark 1 for 1500, mark 2 for 1900 what you guys think? worth the extra 400?

5DMK2|85 L II |24-70L|16-35L|70-200 2.8 IS MK2L|430EXII

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,127 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 11, 2011 13:40 |  #2

Both are good... go with whatever your budget allows, IMO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 11, 2011 13:41 |  #3

Only a $400 difference? mkii for sure..

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 11, 2011 13:44 |  #4

I had to ask the same question.

"Do I want to keep my MKI or switch to MKII?"

There is no question about MKII being superior to the MKI, however MKI has never failed me.
I always enjoyed the quality it produced.
I could still go for the MKII and be even happier, but the extra $$.. I could get 17-40L or fund it toward 135L.
That is my dilemma...

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

dgsphoto
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 11, 2011 13:52 |  #5

ni$mo350 wrote in post #11618806 (external link)
Only a $400 difference.....

:mrgreen:

OP: I think the prices you mentioned are ballpark. Real world difference between the two lenses is about $500 or so (~1450 for mk1 and ~$1950 for mk2)

A lot depends on what you shoot, it's commercial application and how disposable $$ is for you. The mk1 is a phenominal lens and even more so with it's current valuation. The mk2 is a slightly sharper lens but comes with a premium. If you shoot commercially, then I would recommend mk2 as it seems to promise more keepers and a higher hit rate. If you shoot for leisure then the mk1 will serve you just fine and save you some money. You can get another decent lens for the savings (maybe a UWZ if you don't have one?)

Disclaimer: I "upgraded" to mk2. Nothing wrong with my mk1 (in fact it was very sharp), but I am one of those gear freaks with the have to haves!

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 11, 2011 14:09 |  #6

The typical census shows the II sharper than the I. I tried the I and found the II to be much sharper. I picked up the II on rebate and have been very happy with it. I find it on par with my 135L.

If you're on a budget, the I is a good alternative.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 11, 2011 14:27 |  #7

I replaced my 70-200 F4IS with the MKII. The MK1 never tempted me. If I am going to have to deal with the extra weight it better be as good as what I am replacing + add something, such as f2.8

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 11, 2011 17:42 |  #8

Mark II is MUCH sharper! Go with the Mark II and dont look back!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 11, 2011 17:52 |  #9

Easy! MKII. No doubt about it!

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

Overread
Goldmember
2,195 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 11, 2011 23:04 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11618801 (external link)
Both are good... go with whatever your budget allows, IMO

I'd second this - the original lens was the pro choice for many years and is still very capable of producing a pro grade result (when used correctly of course ;)). The M2 is undeniably an upgrade and an all round improvement over the original design and optical formula and there are many who have happily upgraded from the original lens to the M2 - and many who have bought those original lenses (second hand) and been more than happy with them.

In the end its a tricky choice because you're essentially at the top end of the scale splitting hairs between two offerings. My best advice to you is to try them both out in a shop or somewhere like a camera club - in the end this gives you a real world understanding of how to two compare for you. You might find the difference worth the price cost - on the other hand you might feel that the cheaper original lens is more than enough for your wants and needs.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

harry_sangha
31 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 14, 2011 21:38 |  #11

MkII

zoom_zoom
894 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 14, 2011 23:48 |  #12

I have the MKI, but I had purchased it when the MKII was a 'rumor'. In any case, go with what you can afford.

michaelbyz23
134 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 19, 2011 20:17 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

hi, mind if you share where or which online web store is selling the MKI at the price of 1500 and KII 1900? Im looking for the MKI badly and there is no where i can find a new unit at that price =(
thank you

Gears: Canon EOS 7D | Canon EOS 5DC | Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L USM | Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
My photography website @ michaelboon.com (external link)
My photo blog @ http://www.michaelboon​.com/apps/blog (external link)
My flickr @ www.flickr.com/michael​byz23 (external link)

rishu_pepper
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2011 20:26 |  #14

MKII for sure, if a 400-500 difference is all there is.

~My SmugMug~ (external link)
~Gear List and Feedback~

Refresh ­ Image
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2011 22:07 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Every other post claims that II is significantly sharper than I. I wander where this is coming from. The MTF charts published on Canon site show that Mk II sharper in the center while Mk I is sharper on the border. Only at 70 mm Mk II is sharper both center and border. So Mk II resembles more Nikon 70-200 than Mk I in this regard.
There is no magic wand. The lens design is a very mature business and it is difficult to improve something very dramatically. The biggest difference between two lenses is not sharpness but IS and closer focusing distance (+ for Mk II ) and much different bokeh (Mk I wins ).

sponsored links

11,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS Mark 1 or mark II?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.