Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 18:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using your name vs. some made up name ?

MLphoto
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 11, 2011 18:24 |  #1

For the last 3 or so years I've been using my name for my photography business.

for example:

mynamephotography
firstname-lastname.com

From a marketing stand point, is it better to use a company name like for example: 92photo, fortythreephotography, shutter cam photography... OR just use your name to market your photography.

I've been using my name all this time, but am having second thoughts now... what do you guys think?

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photography (external link)

sponsored links
Linda ­ Browne
65 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 11, 2011 19:00 |  #2

I'm going the opposite way. Have been using Montana Moments Photography at montanamoments.com because I thought it'd be more memorable. In spite of worrying about people typing in my name without the e on the end, I'm planning on using my name this year. Are you feeling any drawbacks or limitations with using your name?

Linda

JohnHemlock
182 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 11, 2011 19:13 |  #3

If you have a name like Maxtone Weatherball, perhaps a business name is better. If your name is Rock Sampson, use your name.

Powershot A530, 2 AA Batteries, Wrist Strap

jessakphotography
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2011 19:25 |  #4

I have wondered the same thing! and in all honesty the only time I use my name is for commercial or advertising jobs... when I photograph weddings or anything having to do with families, I use our other business name because the name just fits for that market.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,855 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 11, 2011 19:30 as a reply to  @ JohnHemlock's post |  #5

If you list all the famous photographers you know about, you'll probably realize that you know them by name. If you know their company, the company name is the photographer's name.

Have you ever seen an original work of art signed as a company name? If your photography business depends on your personal eye for it's character, then there is nothing better for you to name it than after yourself, because you are your company.

And there really is no problem with having a difficult name. "Leibovitz." "David Nguyen."

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 11, 2011 19:38 |  #6

I went the opposite route and avoided using my name... but my brand is all about who I am and what I do. It kind of helps though that I have trademarks registered, all the relevant domain names, twitter, facebook profile names, etc.

Peter

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 11, 2011 22:01 |  #7

It depends how creative you are with your business name and what your real name is. Not many business names really are very original or clever, TBH. I don't use my real name because my father is already well known in this town, and our names are identical. Plus it just doesn't sound good. It looks beautiful on a check though.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

MLphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 11, 2011 23:19 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #8

some good info in this thread

I actually have a unique name, and not too long..

It's just that when advertising or such, you would be giving our your name, I just already thought some word or something to describe your company would be better... sort of confused on that.

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photography (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 11, 2011 23:20 |  #9

Tacking "Photographer" or "Photography" on the end of your name should be sufficient. People know that photographers take photos.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 11, 2011 23:56 |  #10

RDKirk wrote in post #11620934 (external link)
If you list all the famous photographers you know about, you'll probably realize that you know them by name. If you know their company, the company name is the photographer's name.

Have you ever seen an original work of art signed as a company name? If your photography business depends on your personal eye for it's character, then there is nothing better for you to name it than after yourself, because you are your company.

And there really is no problem with having a difficult name. "Leibovitz." "David Nguyen."

I did, Crosswind Images!

But I'm using my name, short and sweet. I'm only using my initials in my webstie tho ;)

Hi, I'm David.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,855 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 12, 2011 06:15 |  #11

Rivest wrote in post #11622395 (external link)
I did, Crosswind Images!

But I'm using my name, short and sweet. I'm only using my initials in my webstie tho ;)

Haven't heard of it.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 12, 2011 07:16 |  #12

In general I like the idea of tying a business name into your personal name. In reality, since I was the one designing my logo, I couldn't manage it. Because it was my name, I was designing a logo to reflect me personally, and every idea I came up with, I knew I wouldn't like in six months.

Once I switched to naming after a camera concept I was able to design the logo around that.

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 12, 2011 07:43 |  #13

Those of you who are looking to do company names vs. your own name, be sure to check with your bank and other entities whom will need to change your account names. Some banks do not allow a simple DBA (doing business as) addition to your account. In some cases, you have to register your name through the state (additional costs incurred), change your business license and tax ID (more costs), and setup a full business account through your bank (which sometimes have monthly fees as well). Having said that, if you will run into each of these costs, be sure that changing your name will be worth all of the effort, and possibly more importantly the total cost of ownership (over the life expectancy of your business).

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

jmweb
525 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 12, 2011 08:25 |  #14

I went with a business name, Lens Make A Picture.

I also own a web development company that has my last name in it....morriscode :)

John Morris Photo - PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick photographer (external link)
The most powerful work: editorial. JohnMorrisPhoto.ca (external link)
Gear: Canon 1dx, Canon 7dx Mark II, Canon 5d S, Canon 5d SR..

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 12, 2011 10:56 |  #15

RDKirk wrote in post #11623317 (external link)
Haven't heard of it.

Crosswind is the only guy here doing aviation photography. His work recently got published into a magazine.

But apart from him, no I only know photographers by their name. :p

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links

3,727 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using your name vs. some made up name ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.