Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Aug 2010 (Monday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advise for camera and lens(es). 2K budget.

omer
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 03, 2010 16:00 |  #16

monk3y wrote in post #10655487 (external link)

regarding the 7D, I have read a lot of good reviews and a lot more of bad experiences (more than any other camera)....

Strange as the 7D get minor complains compare to praise by both reviews and users !!

as for OP question i do not think the diff between the 50D & 7D is very big for the type of pictures you take - and you get more glass - my 2c

80D | 7D | M6 | 15-85 | 70-300 L | Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| efs 55-250 stm |270EX | 430EXII |

sponsored links
monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 03, 2010 16:12 |  #17

omer wrote in post #10655611 (external link)
Strange as the 7D get minor complains compare to praise by both reviews and users !!

as for OP question i do not think the diff between the 50D & 7D is very big for the type of pictures you take - and you get more glass - my 2c

I have no statistics to back it up, but base on the complaints posted on POTN, it has a lot more complaints than previous models such as the T1i, 50D, 5D MKII and even the T2i as far as I remembered.

I am not saying nobody is happy with it, its just that there are lot of complaints...and not just user error but legitimate focus issues, button issues or some sort of strange whatever issues :D;) otherwise I think its a great modern body...

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

kf095
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,476 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 03, 2010 16:20 |  #18

Thank you for suggestions and comments on 50D, 5D and 7D. My (family) photo gear list is in my signature at every post.

I already have 50 1.8 II and two flashes (YN-468 and Nissin Di622) with two remote triggers and one remote control from YN, plus one umbrella with mount kit for tripod.
My wife would still share it with me, I hope. Or, at least she doesn’t know how to trigger flashes remotely yet.

7D is available from USA (8 hours drive from home) for 1500USD or I could get it shipped to Buffalo for pickup. I could also get from same place EF-S 15-85 for 700 USD, which seems to be nicely build lens, with more tele range and I could share it with Tli few years later, I hope, once I get faster lens. Or get one fast lens from mentioned above with short tele range. And keep saving for 70-200. Or get just 70-200 F4 L non-IS instead and keep borrowing 18-55 EF-S IS from Tli for a while.

So, from crop to super fast crop with big fps number (not something I’m desperate), fast AF (but I’m not shooting hummerbirds) and only one lens for now. 2000- 2200 USD at best case scenario.

50D I could find for about 800 USD new (USA warranty), plus same 15-85 for 700, 70-200 F4 L non IS for another 700. Same 2000-2200 USD.
But, as it was just mentioned, same processor sensor type as on Tli, which I could still borrow from time to time.

5D (only used) from USD big store in NY with 24-105 F4 (from same store, used) for 2000-2200 USD and 50 1.8 II which I have already will just shine on FF (or at least is not going to be too narrow for me on cropped Tli) I could also find it locally for the same price.

Or refurbished 5D MKII for 2100 from USA big store, I’ll have only 50 1.8 II for it (and 28-90 EF from film Rebel. LOL)

I was re-reading this thread today - 50D compare to 5D – most of forum members suggested 5D vs 50D for IQ, which I’m more interested compare to fast fps ratio and super fast AF.

https://photography-on-the.net …/printthread.ph​p?t=891637

But 5D is available only as used and where is no way to check how many counts has shutter release before it comes for sale.
I’m not sure if it is possible to visually check does 5D roughly has 10K or 50K on it?
Could I trust Adorama and B&H on it? Or they don’t care?
I could get 5D locally in GTA (Toronto) for 1000 CAD, but how do I trust person whom I have never meet before if he tells me – my 5D has only 11K clicks on it?

I could get closer to my kids running at Tli with crappy 28-90 non IS and center point focusing.

IMAGE: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hdZasF15SMc/TBBhV7iIUwI/AAAAAAAALYI/tUBsvvAghsw/s1024/IMG_9725.JPG

I could get them in focus (well not every time and only in bright light or with flash) if they are jumping. But I could always ask them to jump again and again, no objections from them.

IMAGE: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_hdZasF15SMc/TEj0XwDZCJI/AAAAAAAAMV8/awE3BHwFtf0/s640/2010_07_13_1573.JPG

Here is the link to the thread at this forum for how good 5Dc and 5DmkII for running kids.
https://photography-on-the.net …/printthread.ph​p?t=873483

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

kf095
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,476 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 11, 2010 11:31 |  #19

Upgrade:
After posting here initially I acquired two EF lenses: Canon 70-200 F4 L and Tamron 28-75 2.8, which is half from my 2K upgrade from Tli budged.

For me it is obvious now, I hope sometime next year I’ll be able to add another 5 to my signature :rolleyes:

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

garys1
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 11, 2010 12:26 |  #20

With such active looking children, you may want to have video capability. In that case my vote would be for the new 60D or T2i. That way you can have crop lens that will interchange with you 500D.

kf095
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,476 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 11, 2010 12:56 as a reply to  @ garys1's post |  #21

I'm planing to keep 500D, because my wife needs camera as well and it has video, as you mentioned, and it is nice, light and very capable camera.
Kit lens is good lens as well for hiking, jumping, skiing and so on with kids. I'm kipping it as well.

kf095
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,476 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 12, 2011 10:18 |  #22

Now not only my wife taking pictures with T1i, which we have initially, but also one of my daughters is interested in more advanced, compare to P&S, photography.
So, here is my major upgrade on this thread for 2K budget family pictures taking kit.(Camera and two lenses.) As of yesterday 11+1+11=5, I’m happy owner of 5Dc. Made in 2008 and I picked it up from local photographer who lives in our local district. Two minutes from our home. He owns little home studio and couple of 1Ds series bodies. 5Dc was the backup. Condition 9/10. Including Canon grip and three Canon batteries. All boxes, manuals, cables, CDs and even original packaging was included.

First impressions compare to T1i:
Shutter sound is different. Very different. I agree with 5Dc users who describes it as guillotine blade or loading rifle.
Ergonomics are different, but not better compare to Rebel for me. ISO selection actually worst on 5Dc compare to Tli.
ISO changing button is not so easy to reach compare to T1i.
ISO capabilities are very good on 1600 and 3200.
It doesn’t show ISO on LCD nor in viewfinder and it is not good.
Auto ISO not exists on 5Dc.
F11 and higher – no diffraction problems and details are well present. Who-Hoo, finally I’ll be able to take clear and smooth landscape pictures.
Viewfinder view is amazing on 5Dc compare to T1i. Not going to badly miss liveview. Focus points are huge!
Nifty Fifty on 5Dc is just perfect. Sharp at 1.8 and soooo wide.
RAW files from 5Dc are 10-15 megs. RAW files from Tli are 18 upto 21 megs. Big advantage for me.

And last thing why this five years old camera named “magic box” by 5Dc users sometime. Now I know why it is the same for me - very different pictures from this camera compare to Rebel.
Smooth, but sharp. I took one portrait picture with 5Dc yesterday and I don’t think I’m going to use T1i for portraits as often as I have to do it anymore. So huge the difference is for me.
I don’t know why, may be I was doing something wrong with Rebel during last year. But same nifty-fifty and same cheap flash on 5Dc – I can’t find any portrait picture taken with my T1i which will be comparable by IQ and amount of details with sloppy picture of my colleague I took quickly yesterday just for first time testing of 5Dc. MAGIC!

IMAGE: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_hdZasF15SMc/TSzPRloUTsI/AAAAAAAAQYs/AGtAvktiwPM/IMG_0776.JPG

PS: I was collecting every penny and selling junk :rolleyes: on e-bay for last seven months to be able to pay for it. It cost almost the same as used 7D, but I have no regrets I went to 5Dc first. I will upgrade our family T1i to 7D few years later, then is is going to be even more affordable. High FPS rate and fast AF are still not in my priority list.

sponsored links

3,490 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advise for camera and lens(es). 2K budget.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.