Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Dec 2010 (Friday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Conversation on Wal-Mart pics with a mom ...

NeoSoulPhoto
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 28, 2010 20:47 |  #46

BradJohnsen wrote in post #11516933 (external link)
Four of those 5 inherited the money from one man, the founder of Walmart. Also, why are we bashing Walmart... way off topic. I'm sure there's plenty of other forums for that. We're just responding to an observation by the OP. Oh and the $9.4k/hr wage is wrong. The CEO gets paid a salary, and I guarantee he doesn't work 8 hours a day. But still, a salary like that is incentive for me to get an education and work hard!! :)

me too. people need to stop complaining about how much money others make and find ways to improve their careers.

www.flickr.com/neosoul​photo (external link)
jeffersonlawsphotograp​hy.com (external link)PLEASE BE A FAN ON FB!!! http://www.facebook.co​m/Neosoulphoto (external link)
Nikon D90, D5000, Nikon 50mm ƒ1.4, Nikon 18-105,Nikon 35mm ƒ1.8,

sponsored links
Linda ­ Browne
65 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 11, 2011 20:25 |  #47

If you don't like Walmart, do you shop there? Seriously. I try to avoid them and give my business to smaller businesses. What most people don't think about is small businesses often cannot buy wholesale at the same prices Walmart sells as retail. Don't get caught up in the Walmart-competition thinking. Improve your own business at rates that work to make an actual profit for you.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 11, 2011 21:07 |  #48

I love Wal-Mart, for certain things. I work too hard for my money to spend more on commodities "just because." There has to be value in a higher price. If two pair of socks are identical, and Wal-Mart has them for $10 and the local shop wants $15, I'm going to save my $5. If Wal-Mart has crappy thin socks for $10 and the local shop has nice, thick, military grade socks for $15 (or even $20), THEN I will buy from the local shop.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 12, 2011 12:33 |  #49

cdifoto wrote in post #11621533 (external link)
I love Wal-Mart, for certain things. I work too hard for my money to spend more on commodities "just because." There has to be value in a higher price. If two pair of socks are identical, and Wal-Mart has them for $10 and the local shop wants $15, I'm going to save my $5. If Wal-Mart has crappy thin socks for $10 and the local shop has nice, thick, military grade socks for $15 (or even $20), THEN I will buy from the local shop.

This, this, this, a thousand times this.

I don't "like" Walmart, but simple reality is that on some things they just cannot be beat. Some things they can.

I do not buy shoes there because... they're crappy shoes. Even at the lower price, there's no value because they hurt my feet and I have to replace them more often. I spend more at other places for better shoes because it's a better overall value.

I do buy things like laundry soap there, because it's the same as everywhere else and their prices are too good to pass up.

I totally get the 'buy local' angle, and subscribe to it myself, and for some items will pay more... but it has to be reasonable. I'm an NOT willing to empty my bank account to so do.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

jmborkowski
113 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2011 13:19 |  #50

Personally, I have ZERO desire to shoot the kind of stuff Walmart does. I'm happy to refer people there if they don't want to pay for something custom.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2011 15:54 |  #51

jmborkowski wrote in post #11625521 (external link)
Personally, I have ZERO desire to shoot the kind of stuff Walmart does.

I don't either, and I can't anyway. No studio. :lol:

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2011 16:03 |  #52

I think a lot of photographers who are trying to produce nice high-level work, forget how many people really are oblivious to quality photography. I would bet 7/8 of the familes out there are happy just to get all their family in one frame with no blinks or redeye.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2011 16:05 |  #53

tkbslc wrote in post #11626632 (external link)
I think a lot of photographers who are trying to produce nice high-level work, forget how many people really are oblivious to quality photography. I would bet 7/8 of the familes out there are happy just to get all their family in one frame with no blinks or redeye.

This is definitely true. Have you seen that Microsoft Cloud commercial?

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 12, 2011 16:12 |  #54

cdifoto wrote in post #11626650 (external link)
This is definitely true. Have you seen that Microsoft Cloud commercial?

That commercial irritates the hell out of me, and I'm not even a portrait photographer. They make it look so easy to cut and paste... 0.8 seconds, and voila... it's done. And looks perfect. :rolleyes:

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2011 16:15 |  #55

photoguy6405 wrote in post #11626698 (external link)
That commercial irritates the hell out of me, and I'm not even a portrait photographer. They make it look so easy to cut and paste... 0.8 seconds, and voila... it's done. And looks perfect. :rolleyes:

Haha it makes me laugh. I don't really do family photos anyway so I don't care if moms take it upon themselves & hop on a cloud. :p

snyderman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2011 18:30 |  #56

tkbslc wrote in post #11626632 (external link)

That was my take and why I posted this thread. The quality was absolutely nothing special, maybe short of anything special. My point was the g'ma and mom were extremely happy with the results and thrilled by the price.

Again, a happy customer is what it's all about.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 12, 2011 22:00 |  #57

Bob Hasty wrote in post #11509865 (external link)
99.999% of the crap in walmart is from china, I'd never shop there unless I absolutley had to. The ceo makes $9,247.00 an hour. Times that by 8 hours a day and he makes more in one day then a fulltime employee makes all year. That employees salary is also just under the poverty scale and 50% of them have no health insurance. Dont get me started lol

i worked at walmart for 10 years. i worked three days a week and make $36,000 a year, i also got 8 weeks vacation. i didn't work in a store though.

but in reality why should someone w/ no skills working a no skill job get paid $50,000 a year?

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

7,872 views & 0 likes for this thread
Conversation on Wal-Mart pics with a mom ...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.