Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 12 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 00:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disaster.. 8( S95

rondo221
93 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 12, 2011 00:23 |  #1

Well I came to Hawaii for 2 weeks, business travel.

I recently sold off my G11 cuz I wanted to upgrade instead of getting the G12 I opted or the smaller s95 and have been liking it for the most part.

I usually take my canon 7D with me on travel, but This 1 time I decided to just bring my S95 and see what I can produce with my trusty point and shoot. Well something I thought would never, could never happen to me happened.. I lost my camera. I think this is what happened, I must have placed my s95 on the counter at an ABC store when I bought some water and walked off, leaving it behind, the next morning I went to work didnt even consider my camera, I cant take photos where I was working. As I was packing this morning to fly over to Kauai I started to get a very nervous feeling.. I turned my entire room upside down. I realized to my horror exactly what happend.
Im crushed, sick with a pit in my stomach and disgusted with my stupidity. ughh I called the ABC store and no luck.
Anyways. Im looking for options, Anyone think I can order a new camera Online and have it delivered to my hotel? will amazon or BH or Adorama do such a thing?
Or should I go to CostCo and pick up something there as a back up? Honestly I cant even think straight at the moment. and Im here for 2 weeks. :(
looking forward to anyone with a good idea. thanks all for letting me vent. Also any suggestions on a camera I can get on this island? Should I get another s95 or opt for the G12? I took my G11 with me to sweden for a month and never had a single issue. I cant even keep a s95 in my hands for 2 days.. grrrrr I gotta go punch myself in the gut 1 more time..

sponsored links
rondo221
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 12, 2011 00:32 |  #2

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

this is the last image I took with my poor S95.. I call it the "Coconut tree" ..

mathogre
Goldmember
3,570 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 12, 2011 00:34 |  #3

Were it me, I'd see what stores are nearby. My goal would be to get another S95 or a G12. If I couldn't get one of those, I'd go with a simple Canon P&S or something similar, and just go with what I could find. Lower end cameras today can produce some extraordinary images.

Don't beat yourself up over it. All of us make mistakes. It *could* have been your 7D, but it wasn't. Replace the S95 with what you can find and enjoy.

Good luck!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 12, 2011 00:35 |  #4

It couldn't hurt to stop in at the store--especially if you can recognize who was working at the counter at the exact time you were in there. It's very easy to read people in these kinds of situations--if the person working there looks like they took the camera and didn't report it, you'll know. If they don't admit it, at the least you can talk to the manager and inform them what happened.

Remember, stores like that have surveillance, especially at counters! If you know the exact time that it happened, it wouldn't be difficult for them to review the security tape. Better to find out if the employee swiped it, or another customer. If it was the employee, you have a high likelihood of getting it back!

My Gearlist

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 12, 2011 01:06 |  #5

yea dont beat yourself down. dont let your possessions own you. im sure a lot worse could happen.

you can always try the store again and talk to the employees. you can always tell the store youre just trying to figure out what happen to your camera so you dont have to file a police report... since the camera is over $250, most states will consider it grand theft if stolen.

camera wise, you can always check out costco to seee what they got, if you dont like it, you can always return it since costco has excellent return policy.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,492 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 12, 2011 02:50 |  #6

rondo221 wrote in post #11622488 (external link)
.....Im looking for options, Anyone think I can order a new camera Online and have it delivered to my hotel? will amazon or BH or Adorama do such a thing?

It depends....drop me an email with details of your hotel, and whether you've ordered from us in the past: HelenO@adorama.com (external link)

rondo221
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 12, 2011 12:43 |  #7

HelenOster wrote in post #11622892 (external link)
It depends....drop me an email with details of your hotel, and whether you've ordered from us in the past: elenO@adorama.com (external link)

Helen.. thanks for the heads up, sent you an email.

rondo221
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 12, 2011 12:44 |  #8

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11622528 (external link)
It couldn't hurt to stop in at the store--especially if you can recognize who was working at the counter at the exact time you were in there. It's very easy to read people in these kinds of situations--if the person working there looks like they took the camera and didn't report it, you'll know. If they don't admit it, at the least you can talk to the manager and inform them what happened.

Remember, stores like that have surveillance, especially at counters! If you know the exact time that it happened, it wouldn't be difficult for them to review the security tape. Better to find out if the employee swiped it, or another customer. If it was the employee, you have a high likelihood of getting it back!

I went to the store yesterday morning, the manager was helpful but nothing was turned in, before I caught my flight to another island. By the time I go back there weeks will have gone by..

Luster
103 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2011 13:59 as a reply to  @ rondo221's post |  #9

S95's are on National backorder. I've tried 20 stores/on-line stores and they all have the same notice... BACKORDERED.

Unless you want to go to Amazon. Massive price-gouging, up to $100 OVER COST.:rolleyes:

Bill Luster
Lee's Summit, MO
Canon SX30is, Canon S95, Canon SD630
;)
Specializing in Detailing Corvettes........:cool::cool::cool:

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2011 14:45 |  #10

they have Costco's there. My mom and sis practically LIVE at the one on Maui.

Sorry about your camera. +1 on the rec to buy another P&S while you're there. And don't beat yourself up anymore ... we all do stupid things. Especially when away from home and out of our usual routine.

If you had an hour, I'd tell you about losing my car keys in the ocean with a 4- and 8-year-old on vacation and nobody else but me!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 12, 2011 14:51 |  #11

rondo221 wrote in post #11625287 (external link)
I went to the store yesterday morning, the manager was helpful but nothing was turned in, before I caught my flight to another island. By the time I go back there weeks will have gone by..

In other words, the person on duty at the counter may have swiped it. I would have insisted that the manager have the tapes checked for that specific time (assuming there's a camera on the counter). They need to know whether their employees take things without reporting them--all you'd need to do is tell the manager that you'd consider calling ABC corporate and file a complaint that an employee at the store took your equipment and the manager wasn't willing to help. That'd get his ass in gear. I've done it before, and it worked wonders--they don't like having complaints go in when you reference the manager by name!!

You'll be back in a few weeks--note the time and date that it happened, and try again. It may be unpleasant, but that's a $400 camera, and it's the principle that counts. You know when and where it happened. You'd be doing the company a favor by sniffing out a dishonest employee who may do the same in the future!

My Gearlist

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 12, 2011 14:58 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #12

Best Buy has them.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

mathogre
Goldmember
3,570 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 12, 2011 15:53 |  #13

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11626132 (external link)
note the time and date that it happened

In fact, write down everything you know with dates and times, asap. Obviously you have a computer with you, so you could type it into your machine as long as you make a hard copy. If you're in a hotel, chances are they have a business center where they could print it for you. Otherwise, get pen/pencil and paper so you have it accessible if/when you return to the store.

Note when and where you discovered it missing. Note your return to the store. Note what you did to search for it and when you did it. Write down everything relevant to losing it and your efforts to find it.

Additionally, hopefully the Canon photo s/w is installed on your computer. If you do not immediately have the serial number of your camera, look in the EXIF information for, say, your last photo. DPP and Image Browser generally show everything about the original image in EXIF. (It usually does in RAW.) Other s/w may show your camera's serial number, but DPP should, if anything does. (I'm at work so I can't check for sure.) A camera by itself means nothing. A camera for which you have the serial number in your images means everything.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 13, 2011 00:02 |  #14

mathogre wrote in post #11626567 (external link)
Additionally, hopefully the Canon photo s/w is installed on your computer. If you do not immediately have the serial number of your camera, look in the EXIF information for, say, your last photo. DPP and Image Browser generally show everything about the original image in EXIF. (It usually does in RAW.) Other s/w may show your camera's serial number, but DPP should, if anything does. (I'm at work so I can't check for sure.) A camera by itself means nothing. A camera for which you have the serial number in your images means everything.

That's a good idea--you should get the serial. It would be wise to report it stolen to the police and/or Canon. If it is brought into a reputable establishment for repairs or trade-in (pawnshops check, apparently), there's the possibility that it will be flagged, confiscated, and eventually returned. Not bloody likely, but you never know.

Honestly, it's a shame the OP wasn't able to convince them to check the security footage before leaving. The likelihood of the culprit having the device 2 weeks later (assuming it was a clerk who took it) is extremely slim. Even if you can prove who took it at that point, you're unlikely to get it back if they turned it into quick cash.

My Gearlist

edofloat
847 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 13, 2011 18:41 |  #15

rondo221 wrote in post #11622520 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

this is the last image I took with my poor S95.. I call it the "Coconut tree" ..

Sorry for your misfortune, I have been trying to get my hands on the S95 for a fwe weeks and finanly stumbled accross one in a store who said they didn't have any.

So is the "coconut tree" wearing sunglasses or a bra?

|Gear | Feedback

sponsored links

5,224 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disaster.. 8( S95
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.