Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 27 Jan 2009 (Tuesday) 23:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BAYAREA, CA

Killjoy
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 12, 2011 22:00 |  #526

NorCalNomad wrote in post #11628829 (external link)
dude the traffic here is NOTHING compared to LA (oh a drive that can either be 45min or 3.5 hours...joy). Count your blessings it's not LA

I spent 15 years commuting from the Concord/Clayton area to Santa Clara for work.
I have a pretty good idea of what the traffic is like around here.

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

sponsored links
NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 12, 2011 22:05 |  #527

Killjoy wrote in post #11629104 (external link)
I spent 15 years commuting from the Concord/Clayton area to Santa Clara for work.
I have a pretty good idea of what the traffic is like around here.

yes...but it's not as bad LA

...screw listing gear,it just sets up preconceived notions...but if you must link (external link)

NorCalNomad.com (external link)
Industrial Design Portfolio (external link)
$15 Targus Monopod Review

Fligi7
966 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 12, 2011 22:17 |  #528

The difference is you can commute for 2 years in LA (albeit a slow one) and not have to replace your windshield and all 4 shocks like you do up here b/c of the masses of trucks throwing rocks non-stop and the terrible pieces of pavement we use as roads.

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 12, 2011 22:21 |  #529

Fligi7 wrote in post #11629210 (external link)
The difference is you can commute for 2 years in LA (albeit a slow one) and not have to replace your windshield and all 4 shocks like you do up here b/c of the masses of trucks throwing rocks non-stop and the terrible pieces of pavement we use as roads.

damn where and what do you drive that you needed to replace your shocks?

...screw listing gear,it just sets up preconceived notions...but if you must link (external link)

fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 13, 2011 01:02 |  #530

NorCalNomad wrote in post #11629133 (external link)
yes...but it's not as bad LA

Being from DC (and contemplating a move to LA...), people around here who complain about traffic drive me batty. Seriously! It's really not that bad, especially for a major metro area with 8 mil people...

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 13, 2011 06:28 |  #531

NorCalNomad wrote in post #11629241 (external link)
damn where and what do you drive that you needed to replace your shocks?

Most people don't know it's recommended to replace your shocks every 50K miles. The intervals you replace them varies depending on how bad the roads are and vehicle height. My stock shocks lasted me a little over 60K miles, but I lowered my car with coilovers. Since then I have to replace them more often. I thought SF Bay Area roads are bad, but to some extend L.A is worse (the kind of bad are different)

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 13, 2011 08:13 |  #532

I was thinking if I had a manual transmission vehicle in downtown SF.. .the clutch is the first to go!!!

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 13, 2011 15:40 |  #533

fiveFPS wrote in post #11631205 (external link)
I was thinking if I had a manual transmission vehicle in downtown SF.. .the clutch is the first to go!!!

If you know what you are doing it's not too bad. Got to get that e-brake start down :P

Gary ­ McDuffie
Goldmember
3,022 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 13, 2011 19:02 |  #534

fiveFPS wrote in post #11631205 (external link)

Throwout bearing.

Gary
"I'm not much of an artist, but I like to document certain things that I see."
----------
5DII, 7D, some L, Manfroto one and three legged devices, shooting & learning bit by bit via POTN

msu_1972
326 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 13, 2011 19:04 |  #535

hello all, pretty new to the forum and i'm from the san jose area...

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 13, 2011 19:15 |  #536

msu_1972 wrote in post #11635534 (external link)
hello all, pretty new to the forum and i'm from the san jose area...

What's up. Pretty close to you.

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

msu_1972
326 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 13, 2011 19:22 |  #537

rjx wrote in post #11635589 (external link)
What's up. Pretty close to you.

hello rjx, how's it going buddy? that's cool that you're close, maybe i can learn from you sometime. ;)

Killjoy
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 15, 2011 12:10 |  #538

Welcome to the forum, and this little corner of it. :)

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2011 12:17 |  #539

msu_1972 wrote in post #11635626 (external link)
hello rjx, how's it going buddy? that's cool that you're close, maybe i can learn from you sometime. ;)

Don't let my join date or post count fool ya, I didn't start practicing photography until April 2010. But if there is anything I can help you with I would be happy to try.

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 16, 2011 05:52 |  #540

Well. It's about time to say goodbye to my 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM Mark II. I needed the money for a project at school (buying a Supercharger for my car to install it as a project, something I can write about in my resume). A friend of mine informed me about someone selling it, but accept no trades. So I'll have to find a buyer for my lens asap in order to score it. I already listed my lens on craigslist.

Other than that, I entered a photo contest (figure-based). I was going to change my idea before the submission deadline, but didn't workout. I have no idea what are the judges actually look for based on previous contest winners nor I have the right figures to put together a good story, but I wish my photo can be part of the top 200, which the judges are going through the contest entries at the moment until the 20th. You guys want to see mine?

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

sponsored links

231,290 views & 1 like for this thread
BAYAREA, CA
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.