Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 02:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Simple 7D battery question

Delija
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 13, 2011 02:35 |  #1

Can anyone tell me if the covers for the 511 batteries will fit on the LP-E6 batteries? And if my spare charger for the 511 will charge the newer batteries?

TIA

:)

Peace,
D.

Wow, what a nice picture! You must have a really great camera!

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 13, 2011 02:40 |  #2

I... wouldn't try putting the LP-E6 battery onto the charger for the 511. It's an expensive battery to screw up, but that's just me. (That said, I'm pretty sure it won't even fit onto the charger.)

As for the covers... that's a no go as well. The LP-E6 is slightly wider/longer than the BP511A. I took my BP511A and tried to put the LP-E6 cover over the battery and battery wiggled and the cover was large enough that there was no retention. (Which would pretty much confirm that the LP-E6 shouldn't even fit into the charger for the 511.)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 13, 2011 03:20 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #3

The BP-511(A) doesn't have the same kind of contacts as the LP-E6, so they are as incompatible as can be.

Anders

Delija
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 13, 2011 03:56 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #4

Thanks guys..that's what I figured.

I got my 7D and sent my 40D to Canon for its CPS cleaning the same day and it didn't occur to me to check the sizes of the battery casings (I didn't really expect anything to be compatible, but was hoping the covers would fit since I have 6 or 8). The very next day I left for Nashville and I'm here for a few weeks.

I ordered a grip and a second Canon battery, but I've had good luck with third party batteries, and while I virtually never buy any third party Canon stuff, I just know that Canon doesn't make batteries and I've gotten brand new (real) Canon batteries that were made in China (one for sure with an SD450 bought at Best Buy - not some questionable Ebay seller).

But it seems like none of the "off brand" sellers (or very few) give covers any more - which I like - makes me feel they're "safer" from accidental shorts -

I'd like to think that two Canon batteries in a grip would be more than enough, but I spoke with a Canon tech rep and she told me that the 7D doesn't last as long on a battery as the 40d (by a good margin) - I guess running two processors, more sophisticated focusing and metering systems, maybe using the "pop-up" flash as a "master" (not an issue for me since I use radio controllers for my wireless flash set-ups) but plenty of people probably do use the pop-up..and I guess that in general there's just a lot more going on with the 7D than the 40D that consumes power....

Oh well...what's another $100? I just have to tell myself it's what 7 or 8 rolls of high quality film would cost (without even being developed or printed! LOL).:D

Thanks again guys...

Peace,
D.

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 13, 2011 04:12 |  #5

with all the chimping and other monkeying i do (playing with settings, reviewing images, testing stuff, everything but simple picture-taking) i found myself to average at about 500 images per battery charge with the 7d. put that to real usage and you will get up to 1000 shots per battery. if you are on a budget battery-wise turn off the display completely, turn off image review and you won't have any problems you wouldn't have with any other camera.
i have the original battery and a "weiss" third party, which works just as fine.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,008 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 13, 2011 05:46 |  #6

The camera tech rep was full of baloney then, because the new battery design and changes in the 5d2 and 7D allow a battery usage that is easily twice that of the bp-511 and cameras that use it. Just buy an aftermarket, and use the one cover on it, while the other battery is in the camera. You only need X - 1 covers for
X batteries, because battery X would be in use.

Sterlingtek is now selling their POWWER LP-E6 equivalents in addition to the other good 3rd party batteries that you can find.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Delija
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 13, 2011 07:35 |  #7

kendon wrote in post #11630502 (external link)
i have the original battery and a "weiss" third party, which works just as fine.

Yep, as I said, I have no reluctance and have only had good luck so far with third party batteries.
It's not so much a "budget" issue as it seems wasteful to just throw 3, 4 or more times as much money at something just for the Canon brand name when they are buying the from what is a small pool of actual cell manufacturers in Asia. Other than quality control, from what I have read on sites devoted to stuff like this - particularly candlepowerforums.com - there are a lot of label makers, but very few cell makers.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11630721 (external link)
The camera tech rep was full of baloney then, because the new battery design and changes in the 5d2 and 7D allow a battery usage that is easily twice that of the bp-511 and cameras that use it. Just buy an aftermarket, and use the one cover on it, while the other battery is in the camera. You only need X - 1 covers for
X batteries, because battery X would be in use.

Sterlingtek is now selling their POWWER LP-E6 equivalents in addition to the other good 3rd party batteries that you can find.

I'm not familiar with the "POWWER LP-E6", but one good thing about SterlingTek is they have a phone number so it's easy enough to find out what they are selling, for how much and if they are sending covers (they were not as of a year or so ago - but that was when I inquired about 511 batteries, not LP-E6).

I agree there's no need for covers for batteries in the camera. In my case it is sometimes one and sometimes two - depending on whether I am using a grip - and even then, if I feel the need for more than one battery in the grip or not - the grips work just fine with one battery - it's a matter of what I'm shooting and for how long. Here in Nashville, I really can take my time changing batteries - of take my time with pretty much anything. Very different than when I shoot for schools and kid's sports leagues in Florida, I don't have the luxury of time when I am rushed through shooting individual and team photos for youth sports leagues. In virtually every case, the coaches are rushing to get the pictures done as quickly as possible except when it comes to their own kid.

Bottom line is it's always better to have more power than you need than less. I can't imagine the $hit- fit some of these people would have if I had to stop the "assembly line" and replace batteries in three strobes and in the camera. These people act like they're doing me a favor by giving me time to adjust focus or zoom when a 50 pound kid is followed by a 90 pound kid - :rolleyes: 12 year olds come in all shapes and sizes - not to mention widely varied skin tones - a real pleasure to be rushed to get each kid done in less time than an EX flash can even recycle! LOL (Thankfully it's for a franchise so it ultimately becomes their headache and not mine). ;) Pretty sad though that the parents pay for photos that the company insists be shot in Jpeg only. They don't even crop, let alone fix white balance, skin tones, etc. I certainly would not be a customer of the company I work for if I had a clue how things were done (all about greed).:o

Peace,
D.

squires
40 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 13, 2011 16:14 as a reply to  @ Delija's post |  #8

I'm trying to decide how many batteries to have for my 7d. 2 worked fine for my 40d. If the 7d drains faster, I'll probably have to go with 3 when I shoot in the cold.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,008 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 13, 2011 16:21 |  #9

squires wrote in post #11634420 (external link)
I'm trying to decide how many batteries to have for my 7d. 2 worked fine for my 40d. If the 7d drains faster, I'll probably have to go with 3 when I shoot in the cold.

It doesn't drain faster....

You will be able to shoot twice as long on the 7D than you do on your 40D. You actually need 1/2 as many batteries with the 7D and 5D2 than the xxD line. Don't listen to "canon reps", I cannot count how many times we hear that a canon rep say something to someone, only to show how fallacious their comments were.

Our own sales and marketing staff, which is housed with the rest of our software dev. staff, constantly demos things we don't have. When we discuss it later, they always say "oh, I thought we had this or that". It is sometimes very frustrating, and most of the time very disappointing.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

kendon
839 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 13, 2011 16:35 |  #10

squires wrote in post #11634420 (external link)

if you keep one warm (close to body) while the other is in the camera you should be good with two.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200/4 IS, NiftyFifty, 580EXII, Σ 30 EX DC, Walimex 8mm Fisheye, MD Rokkor 50/1.4, BendyCam (external link), Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,522 views & 0 likes for this thread
Simple 7D battery question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.