Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jan 2011 (Thursday) 21:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't kill me, But I need a film camera.

ythe1300
178 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2011 21:16 |  #1

Alright, I'm looking for a Film camera for a B&W class that I'm taking, I didn't use Canon before digital so I have no Idea about any of the Non-D cameras. I would like to use my EF Lenses, But I'm struggling on what to get, mainly because I have no Idea what I'm looking for.

Any help would be great.
Phil

Amend

It must be 35MM film and I can use auto Focus, but AF is not a must.

10D and a sheet of cardboard with a pen hole in it.

sponsored links
fobCSVT
101 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 13, 2011 21:24 |  #2

Old rebels are cheap, but have less features like less AF points, slower burst and less metering options. Depending on how much money you want to spend Elan series might be good as well as the more expensive EOS 3 which have 45 point AF and all the metering options.

jimlp
555 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 13, 2011 21:30 |  #3

ythe1300 wrote in post #11636304 (external link)
Alright, I'm looking for a Film camera for a B&W class that I'm taking, I didn't use Canon before digital so I have no Idea about any of the Non-D cameras. I would like to use my EF Lenses, But I'm struggling on what to get, mainly because I have no Idea what I'm looking for.

Any help would be great.
Phil

The great thing about film cameras is even the cheapest film camera will be as good as the higher end models as long as the same quality lens is used. Yes higher end models may have better metering and more options but they are all basically just light proof boxes, as long as you hit exposure with good glass a lower end film camera will be fine. You can get 1 series film cameras very cheap, better yet just buy an Elan7e and call it a day.

Canon 1DsMk2
Canon 5D MKIV
24-70 f4.0L
Canon 35mm f2.0
Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS Vlll
Sigma 85mm f1.4

publish
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 13, 2011 21:38 as a reply to  @ jimlp's post |  #4

I have an EOS 10S and an Elan7e with a battery grip that aren't being used. Let me know if you are interested.

••••••••••
JP
Canon 7D | Canon 30D | Canon EF 28-135 | Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS | 580EX | CS5
jmurchisonphotography.​com/ (external link)

Pennington
280 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 13, 2011 21:43 |  #5

Not quite the direction you were going in, but I'd recommend an old A-1. You'd have to get FD lenses for it, but personally I loved mine much more than the EOS film bodies I tried. The A-1 has a meter and Av mode, but beyond that it's almost entirely manual. Shooting film fully in manual is a real experience, and I think lets you have more fun with it.

ythe1300
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2011 21:48 |  #6

Pennington wrote in post #11636470 (external link)
Not quite the direction you were going in, but I'd recommend an old A-1. You'd have to get FD lenses for it, but personally I loved mine much more than the EOS film bodies I tried. The A-1 has a meter and Av mode, but beyond that it's almost entirely manual. Shooting film fully in manual is a real experience, and I think lets you have more fun with it.

We are only allowed to shoot in manual mode so I don't think that would be a problem. Why do you feel that the A-1 was better than the EOS range?

dlasala
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 13, 2011 21:51 |  #7

Have a A-1 in great condition with a few lenses. Let me know if you are interested.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 13, 2011 21:51 |  #8

Pennington wrote in post #11636470 (external link)

I agree...if you could get hold of some FD lenses. The A-1 was a great camera. Of course, there may even be an F-1 floating around out there that someone doesn't want!

Growing old disgracefully!

kjj512
471 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 13, 2011 21:57 |  #9

Love shooting film. I believe it will make you a better photographer by forcing you to take the time and really plan out shots. I would suggest an AE-1 or similar. You can pick them up for really cheap with a 50mm included usually.

Kevin
flickr (external link) | vimeo (external link)
5D MKii | Contax CZ 135mm f/2.8 Sonnar*T | Contax CZ 50mm f/1.4 Planar*T | CZ Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 | Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8
AE-1 and a bunch of fd lenses

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 13, 2011 21:59 as a reply to  @ Ricardo222's post |  #10

Grab yourself a Hasselblad. Can't believe how cheap they are now on Craigslist.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 13, 2011 22:00 |  #11

EOS 1V

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,888 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 13, 2011 22:01 |  #12

ythe1300 wrote in post #11636492 (external link)
We are only allowed to shoot in manual mode so I don't think that would be a problem. Why do you feel that the A-1 was better than the EOS range?

If you have to use manual anyway, you might as well get an old manual camera. They're a joy to use and will fill that role better. The controls will be geared towards manual shooting and the viewfinder will be better. Both of these things tend to suffer in cameras geared towards AF and automatic settings.

mikedeep.com (external link) - I shoot rocket launches and void warranties

ythe1300
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2011 22:01 |  #13

1000arms wrote in post #11636548 (external link)
Where are you located?

There are a number of Canon film cameras that will accept your EF lenses.

I'm in Central Florida (Space Coast area)

ythe1300
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 13, 2011 22:04 |  #14

Bradfordguy wrote in post #11636558 (external link)
Grab yourself a Hasselblad. Can't believe how cheap they are now on Craigslist.

If you can find me one with glass for under $100 I'll take it. :P

On a more serious note.... I need this to be 35MM.
Also I'm allowed to Use AF just not Auto anything else.

Mike Deep wrote in post #11636572 (external link)
If you have to use manual anyway, you might as well get an old manual camera. They're a joy to use and will fill that role better. The controls will be geared towards manual shooting and the viewfinder will be better. Both of these things tend to suffer in cameras geared towards AF and automatic settings.

Mike is there any particular model you would suggest?

Pennington
280 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 13, 2011 22:10 |  #15

Partly because the A-1 didn't do much of the thinking for you. You're shooting prime lenses, manual focus, manual exposure - the whole process is very much under your direct control. No AF points, no motor drive, no frills. It's a very raw shooting experience and the camera itself is designed for maximum functionality.

Partly it's a romantic notion - there's something very satisfying about manually advancing the film after each shot, or manually focusing a shot, or dialing in your aperture right on the lens itself. I always felt more connected to my photos afterwards - I was more active in making them than with a highly automated EOS camera. It's a back to basics nostalgia.

Even with digital, as much as I love it, there's that slight nostalgic element missing.

But maybe I'm just weird, or over-thinking things...

ythe1300 wrote in post #11636492 (external link)

sponsored links

3,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't kill me, But I need a film camera.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.