Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Jan 2011 (Friday) 23:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Real cheap 5D mk 2 on ebay... $338

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 15, 2011 20:05 |  #31

This is pretty funny and will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

sponsored links
hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 15, 2011 20:13 |  #32

It is pretty deceptive to include the specs for the camera as the first thing in the ad. Plus ... if it is "new and unopened", how did he remove the camera that was inside the box?

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 15, 2011 20:18 |  #33

duane0524 wrote in post #11648814 (external link)
This is pretty funny and will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

We know how it will end. He will cancel the listing early, or it will end with the buyer refusing to pay. If the buyer does pay, he'll quickly file a dispute and be granted a return.

hfgarris wrote in post #11648854 (external link)
It is pretty deceptive to include the specs for the camera as the first thing in the ad. Plus ... if it is "new and unopened", how did he remove the camera that was inside the box?

Wormholes

My Gearlist

et078
590 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2011 20:25 |  #34

hfgarris wrote in post #11648854 (external link)

The first (boxed) section of the listing is provided by eBay itself. You get that by listing an item in a certain category. This is where miscategorizing will come in play. By listing only the "brand new" box in the Camera category, eBay automatically placed the section with their own description of what's "brand new" and they added the rest of camera description. Very deceiving, I agree.

Sony A7r
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 400mm f/5.6L, 50mm f/1.8 II, 70-200mm f/4L, 17-40mm f/4L
flickr (external link)

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 15, 2011 21:19 |  #35

et078 wrote in post #11648899 (external link)
The first (boxed) section of the listing is provided by eBay itself. You get that by listing an item in a certain category. This is where miscategorizing will come in play. By listing only the "brand new" box in the Camera category, eBay automatically placed the section with their own description of what's "brand new" and they added the rest of camera description. Very deceiving, I agree.

I use a Mac program, GarageSale, to create my eBay ads, so I haven't used the eBay interface for quite a while, so it may be added automatically. I have to specifically request that "product data block" be added to my ad with GarageSale, so then I am responsible for its presence in the ad.

-howard

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 15, 2011 21:26 |  #36

this one just ended http://cgi.ebay.com …3333244QQautore​freshZtrue (external link)

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

jkokbaker
554 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 15, 2011 21:28 |  #37

here is a listing with a buy it now for $350 less than the one that just ended http://cgi.ebay.com …kid%3D639899931​4814005289 (external link)

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

bcd01
Goldmember
2,429 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 15, 2011 22:01 |  #38

People sometimes only see what they want to see; they don't look at the whole picture. Its much like looking through the viewfinder and only focusing on the subject and missing a problem in the background. These folks bidding on the boxes saw the title and didn't read the description. You find boxes for sale in the lens category too.

However, as a seller how can you let this go through? You got to know there is going to be a problem here so why let it happen. Greed can be a problem too.

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

moose10101
registered smartass
1,744 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 17, 2011 19:44 |  #39

thaking wrote in post #11647036 (external link)
@moose10101 - i didn't say categories don't have anything to do with it, just said don't give the category too much credit...i guess you don't peruse ebay much...the categories are not *strict* per se...there are many items that loosely fit categories, and this is one of them...

eBay removed the listing because it violated at least one of their policies. I guess I peruse eBay enough to know how much they'll let people get away with.

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 17, 2011 19:55 |  #40

i'm guessing they removed it cause of complaints...had the box sold for $0.50 with no complaints, would they removed it cause the category? highly unlikely...

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 17, 2011 23:45 |  #41

thaking wrote in post #11662092 (external link)
i'm guessing they removed it cause of complaints...had the box sold for $0.50 with no complaints, would they removed it cause the category? highly unlikely...

I'm slightly surprised they removed it--an abnormal number of complaints due to viewing here is likely the cause :D

If the auction had ended successfully, they would not have removed/invalidated the listing. I've reported something similar in the past, and it took them 3 bloody days to respond--by that time the auction was over. I got a nicely worded message thanking me for the report, but that the listing was now closed and outside of their control.

My Gearlist

et078
590 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2011 01:05 |  #42

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11663347 (external link)
I'm slightly surprised they removed it--an abnormal number of complaints due to viewing here is likely the cause :D

If the auction had ended successfully, they would not have removed/invalidated the listing. I've reported something similar in the past, and it took them 3 bloody days to respond--by that time the auction was over. I got a nicely worded message thanking me for the report, but that the listing was now closed and outside of their control.

I am just wondering what people actually reported. I checked the eBay's list of things that an auction can be reported about, but there was no "wrong category", or anything similar to that. Nothing else on the list was applicable to this auction (no excessive shipping charge, item is not a fake, no stolen pictures,....).
The item was indeed listed in the wrong category, and that, in my opinion, should be enough for the item to be removed. However, as I stated, eBay doesn't seem to care about it as they don't provide a way to report this. Other than that, I think that the biggest problem was the bidders not reading the full auction description and the seller taking advantage of that.

Sony A7r
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 400mm f/5.6L, 50mm f/1.8 II, 70-200mm f/4L, 17-40mm f/4L
flickr (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2011 01:22 |  #43

et078 wrote in post #11663630 (external link)
I am just wondering what people actually reported. I checked the eBay's list of things that an auction can be reported about, but there was no "wrong category", or anything similar to that. Nothing else on the list was applicable to this auction (no excessive shipping charge, item is not a fake, no stolen pictures,....).
The item was indeed listed in the wrong category, and that, in my opinion, should be enough for the item to be removed. However, as I stated, eBay doesn't seem to care about it as they don't provide a way to report this. Other than that, I think that the biggest problem was the bidders not reading the full auction description and the seller taking advantage of that.

Not much to take advantage of there--in all cases, the seller comes out the loser if the buyer is not satisfied with the results. He loses both shipping costs and time, and risks negative feedback. It's better for him that it's been closed prematurely.

My Gearlist

et078
590 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 18, 2011 01:36 |  #44

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11663682 (external link)
Not much to take advantage of there--in all cases, the seller comes out the loser if the buyer is not satisfied with the results. He loses both shipping costs and time, and risks negative feedback. It's better for him that it's been closed prematurely.

I agree. This probably saved the seller from getting negative feedback and paying for shipping both ways.

Sony A7r
flickr (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 18, 2011 01:38 |  #45

et078 wrote in post #11663739 (external link)
I agree. This probably saved the seller from getting negative feedback and paying for shipping both ways.

Seller isn't required to pay return shipping--ebay requires that the buyer send it back on their own dime. But, a lot of sellers will offer to pay return costs to avoid negative feedback and low DSRs...

Forgot, if you get a listing taken down for listing policy violations, that goes on your record. Too many of those, and you become ineligible for TRS status, discounts... and eventually they close your account.

My Gearlist

sponsored links

5,311 views & 0 likes for this thread
Real cheap 5D mk 2 on ebay... $338
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.