Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 21 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos

scubthebub
894 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 12, 2011 00:11 |  #1831

lerroy wrote in post #11621689 (external link)
it sounds like you may have long exposure noise reduction turned on/auto, its a custom function that does a second exposure (black) the same shutter time as the 1st shot and will seem like its just hanging

set this to off and it will solve the problem or just wait for the same time as the first exposure, if its set to auto normally exposures over a few mins kick this function in

cant comment on 1 series but this is the case for the 5D, although with the 5D/7D i cant take more shots...actually i cant do anything so this is just a guess

for example take a 10 min shot...camera then takes a second shot (with shutter closed) for 10 mins then compares merges two images to reduce noise

I'm thinking the same. It was really confusing when you don't know what's happening.

You can also call me Matt
|| 5Dc+Grip | 20D || 24-105
L | 50 f/1.8 II | Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 <-Crap on FF |
| 550EX | Yongnuo RF 602 triggers | Aperture 3 | Lowepro Pro Trekker 300 AW |

Flickr (external link) | Redbubble (external link)

sponsored links
Krypty
226 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 12, 2011 01:24 |  #1832

it sounds like you may have long exposure noise reduction turned on/auto, its a custom function that does a second exposure (black) the same shutter time as the 1st shot and will seem like its just hanging

set this to off and it will solve the problem or just wait for the same time as the first exposure, if its set to auto normally exposures over a few mins kick this function in

cant comment on 1 series but this is the case for the 5D, although with the 5D/7D i cant take more shots...actually i cant do anything so this is just a guess

I think you are right. it should solve his problem.

My Flickr (external link)

Wummy
490 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 12, 2011 02:25 |  #1833

Thanks!!! Never thought about that custom function about noise reduction. OK I will turn them off and give it a try.. can always use Ps or Lr3 to get rid of noise if its too bad....

but to counter argue that, I set up the gear in my place and shot for 15-20 min on 1D3 and I could not reproduce this issue everytime.... shutter will just close, and preview shows up almost immediately.... altho exposure are wacked since its way darker in my room...

Gear List
http://ishot.ca (external link)

lerroy
414 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 12, 2011 06:15 |  #1834

Wummy wrote in post #11622836 (external link)
Thanks!!! Never thought about that custom function about noise reduction. OK I will turn them off and give it a try.. can always use Ps or Lr3 to get rid of noise if its too bad....

but to counter argue that, I set up the gear in my place and shot for 15-20 min on 1D3 and I could not reproduce this issue everytime.... shutter will just close, and preview shows up almost immediately.... altho exposure are wacked since its way darker in my room...

sorry dont have any experience with a 1 series anyone else ?

JLB Photography Website (external link)
5D MKII / 5D MKIII - 17-40L - 85 1.2 L - 50 1.2 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 100 L 2.8 Macro - 24-70 2.8L - Samyung 14mm 2.8 - 300mm F4 L

thebabymilo
33 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 12, 2011 10:46 |  #1835

The reflection picture on the 1st page is insane!

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 12, 2011 14:39 |  #1836

Klaus Meister wrote in post #11618481 (external link)
10 Stop Lee big stopper on a Canon 17mm TSE lens. It was quite windy with a storm moving in. Apx 90 second exposure

Great shot, Klaus!

Kevin

ryan ­ the ­ geek
585 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 12, 2011 17:29 |  #1837

Wummy wrote in post #11622836 (external link)

not a 1D user either, but are you shooting your tests with the same settings? probably not it, but I dont think you can have custom functions in auto, and CA mode (don't even know if the 1D's have this option). So maybe you have noise reduction turned on and it works in M mode but when switched to another setting its turned off? Just a though. Hope you figure it out.

Ryan
Fisher Price Kid Tough Camera

Blue (New Version) Bonus 128mb SD Card. :shock:
http://www.ryan-the-geek.smugmug.com/ (external link)

John ­ Hudson
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2011 18:33 |  #1838

ryan the geek wrote in post #11627189 (external link)
not a 1D user either, but are you shooting your tests with the same settings? probably not it, but I dont think you can have custom functions in auto, and CA mode (don't even know if the 1D's have this option). So maybe you have noise reduction turned on and it works in M mode but when switched to another setting its turned off? Just a though. Hope you figure it out.

LE NR doubles the length of time taken to complete an exposure cycle. If it is inconsistent, it may because you are not shooting at the same shutter speeds. It would be barely noticeable at outdoor daylight speeds, whereas, indoors the shutter speed is much lower and the doubling for NR is also more pronounced.

John.

Klaus ­ Meister
116 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 14, 2011 18:10 |  #1839

kfyount wrote in post #11626045 (external link)
Great shot, Klaus!

Thanks Kevin !

kdvincent
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 15, 2011 00:37 |  #1840

Bjolly, nicework. Love that image

Keith, Canon 7D, 5D, 5DMII, 30D,
bunch of glass, lights and modifiers

skinnaa
215 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 15, 2011 08:57 |  #1841

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1237.photobuck​et.com …kinnaa/DaveysBa​y2-2-7.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Facebook Page (external link)
500px (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Wummy
490 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 15, 2011 11:56 |  #1842

ryan the geek wrote in post #11627189 (external link)

Hi All - Went out today and turned off the Long Exposure Noise reduction on both cameras and both of them worked like a charm!!!!!! Thank you so much!!! now I got some shots from HK I will process and post here later!!! so happy.. :D

thanks!!!

Gear List
http://ishot.ca (external link)

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 16, 2011 04:34 |  #1843

Nothing spectacular I'm afriad, but these are my first two attemps with my B+W 10 stopper.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

richardpardon
467 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 17, 2011 05:28 as a reply to  @ Ross_Curtis's post |  #1844

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5246/5357363238_c78e75d935_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …richardpardon/5​357363238/  (external link)
Fistral Beach, Newquay (external link) by Richard Pardon Photography (external link), on Flickr

Richard Pardon | Photographer - Website (external link)
Richard Pardon | Photographer - Blog (external link)
Richard Pardon | Photographer - Flickr (external link)
Richard Pardon | Photographer - Twitter (external link)
Richard Pardon | Photographer - Facebook (external link)

FASTRAKR
50 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 17, 2011 14:13 |  #1845

FREAKY!

C&C welcome.

sponsored links

2,894,206 views & 9,651 likes for this thread
Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.