Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2011 (Saturday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

selling my photos while deployed

Night_owl
103 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 15, 2011 07:24 |  #1

I am growing all the more curious as to if it would be possible to generate some income from some of my photography (mostly night work) while I am deployed here in Afghanistan. I have a ton of free time on my hands so all i do is read photography books, do photography, work out, and play on the computer. obviously it would have to be an online route, but help me out. if i devoted some time, going down the right avenues, might this be possible? Right now, I am just looking to save for new gear. any advise or tips are appreciated.

P.S. don't have much interest in shooting stock right now

gear : 5D MKII + glassMy photoblog (external link) My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 15, 2011 08:03 |  #2

First of all, thank you for serving - you are making a major sacrifice for the rest of us back home.

Regarding your photography did you have in mind to offer processing or photoshop services to people. Apologies, but I wasn't very clear on that. That certainly is potential there, but the challenge would be getting the word out and marketting your talents. Typically fine art shooters will do there own processing, but "bulk" or event - wedding & party - photographers may have an interest if I understand what you are offering.

Give us a bit more detail - thanks. Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Night_owl
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 15, 2011 09:34 |  #3

thank you for replying. when i post anything, or even send a file to be printed, i process. I'm no photoshop whiz, but i do what i can with a copy of cs3. perhaps you understood my "night work" to be the freedom at night time to "work" I love night photography. I am restricted mostly to a small compound here in an Afghan city, so my photography has funneled down to doing what works for where i currently am able to shoot. I have mountains (i live at the foot), a valley, parts of the city etc, at my disposal. it is not a wide variety of available diversity in location, which is why I have grown more passionate for night and star trails. i shoot what I can, where I can. I'm just trying to find an outlet for my work in the form of making a few extra dollars. why put all my extra time over here to waist? I had an algebra book sent from home to re-learn, just because I have the time to:)

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 15, 2011 09:45 |  #4

Try your local arts league and art club, photo club back home... Contact them to join their group and than get a member to help exhibit your work while you are stationed over seas... The art groups back home do exhibit and sell at fairs, festivals, their own exhibit shows... and a display with your work might move your product... There are print racks for around $70 dollars that you can have a bunch of mounted and matted photos, in a clear plastic protective sleeve, on display... These racks are sold at Art Suppliers ("Blick" is one), while the mounts and matting might be available through your printer... Than have it shipped right to your arts league/club contact... Discuss pricing with them... You can use photoshop to sign your photo discretely, too...

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

GatorMarine
46 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 15, 2011 19:38 |  #5

I'm sure you know this but ensure you're not trying to sell any pictures of sensitive materials. don't want our brothers or yourself in anymore danger than need be

Night_owl
THREAD ­ STARTER
103 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 16, 2011 01:35 |  #6

GatorMarine wrote in post #11648659 (external link)
I'm sure you know this but ensure you're not trying to sell any pictures of sensitive materials. don't want our brothers or yourself in anymore danger than need be

no worries, friend. I actually am an MP...:)

sk82712
227 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 16, 2011 11:50 |  #7

Have fun brother. Just got back from Farah 3 months ago. But I didn't have the balls to take any of my gear downrange. As far as selling photos online, the problem is getting word out. But as far as hosting / blog solutions, you really can't beat photoshelter. I'm a huge fan.

Have fun and stay safe.

Adam

A7R3
instagram.com/heller.p​hoto (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,855 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 16, 2011 12:13 |  #8

Night_owl wrote in post #11645427 (external link)
I am growing all the more curious as to if it would be possible to generate some income from some of my photography (mostly night work) while I am deployed here in Afghanistan. I have a ton of free time on my hands so all i do is read photography books, do photography, work out, and play on the computer. obviously it would have to be an online route, but help me out. if i devoted some time, going down the right avenues, might this be possible? Right now, I am just looking to save for new gear. any advise or tips are appreciated.

P.S. don't have much interest in shooting stock right now

A big THANK YOU for serving our country......

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 16, 2011 14:32 |  #9

Thank you and the other posters who have served. There are many of us who are truely greatfull for your service!

What about using Getty Images? Isn't that where much of the media buy their photos? I imagine those images submitted would have to be OK'd by security first.. or you'd want them to be approved as such (IN WRITING) so you wouldn't be accused selling sensative information.

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 16, 2011 23:10 |  #10

Hi,

If you are in the U.S. Armed Forces and are on active duty, then all the photos you take while deployed are public domain. You can technically sell them, but anyone with access to your pictures is free to reprint them (assuming they are not classified in any way) at will for any purpose they wish without compensating you.

That said, buyers have no way of knowing that the images are public domain unless you tell them.

Ryan McGinnis
The BIG Storm Picture (external link) PGP: 0x65115E4C
Follow my storm chasing adventures! (external link)
Images@Getty (external link) Images@Alamy (external link)

sponsored links

1,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
selling my photos while deployed
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.